What's new

Red Dawn (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Screened it last night because of this thread. Lots of comments, now that my memory is refreshed. Some day, maybe. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I noticed that, Dennis. Why the Milius kick?

Just to reiterate that the movie is a guilty pleasure for me. Further, pay specific attention to much of the dialogue and some of the jump-cutting (reference: scene with bumpersticker: "They can take my gun when..."). A bit propagandistic, shall we say?

Plausibility: Even though a military vet friend of mine confirms that weapons systems have to be designed in such a way for the more cerebrally challenged to learn how to operate them, he does confirm that the likelihood of a small band of high school students so thoroughly confounding a Soviet-backed invading force somewhat minimal.

This is far, far from Mr. Milius's best work, but he knew to push certain buttons to good effect at a certain time in our history.

Not really a good film at all--but one that's enjoyable nonetheless.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
Since Sony now has the MGM library... do you think they will re-release it? Possibly a better edition?

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
I always enjoyed this movie. I didn't see it until around 1988 or so and thought it was interesting as a pairing of Jennifer Grey and Patrick Swayze prior to Dirty Dancing.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, but Scott, people have to want buy this film on disc as well. Maybe when the current edition ever sells out.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
But Milius did give us a genuinely excellent film in the form of The Wind and the Lion--and why is that not on DVD? Huh?
Yep, I have Red Dawn in all its anti-commie, kick-ass glory too. Decent transfer. But I paid a much higher price than you's guys. Damn it.
__________________________________________________ _________
The Wind and the Lion is indeed available on DVD; it was released fairly recently.
Since I have access to an original 35mm theatrical print (with optical mono track only--rats!), a taped HD copy from a recent satellite transmission by HDNet Movies channel and the laserdisc version, am planning to do a direct film-to-HD tape-to-DVD-to-laserdisc comparison in what I hope is the near future.
I love this movie so am only too happy being able to view it at will in any of those formats.
I also paid more for my copy of Red Dawn when it first came out some years ago. Is not anamorphically enhanced either, I believe. Need to re-visit it soon!... :)
-THTS

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Trivia Note: I forgot the exact details, but the operation in Iraq where they successfully got Saddam from his spider hole was named after a RED DAWN reference. I think it was OPERATION WOLVERINES or something like that.

Milius must have loved that.

frank manrique

Supporting Actor
quote:
Frank, The Wind and the Lion has been on DVD for more than a year. And I reviewed it for HTF.
__________________________________________________ ________
Ah! Well, that just goes to show that when you get to be my age a year seems like yesterday! :D
Am looking forward to read your review of the DVD... :)
-THTS

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Operation “Red Dawn” was launched after gaining actionable intelligence identifying two likely locations codenamed Objective Wolverine 1 and Wolverine 2, near the town of Ad Dwar. The First Brigade Combat team of the 4th ID, in addition to Special Forces from Task Force 121 were assigned the mission to capture or kill Saddam Hussein.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Jack,

I'm hoping that since MGM has done new transfers of old non-anamorphic releases(Manchurian Candidate, Spaceballs, The Graduate, Hoosiers and I think Species) they would redo these also. I know those two might not be as big, but here's to hoping.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
he does confirm that the likelihood of a small band of high school students so thoroughly confounding a Soviet-backed invading force somewhat minimal.

They don't confound the invasion. They make life hell for the occupation, and are picked off one by one until they all die.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
kinda similar to what the insurgents are doing to our boys in iraq, actually. and what the afghans did to the soviets.

Ernest Rister

Senior HTF Member
No, not like that at all. In a poll published just the week, 67% of Iraqis think the country is headed in the right direction.

The minority controlling party in Iraq - the Sunnis - held complete sway in Iraq, controlling the Khurds and the Shias via mass murder and genocide for years. With the downfall of Sunni Party leader and mass-murderer Saddam Hussein, the Kurds and the Shias are free, and the Sunnis are terrified of what might now happen to them in a democratic Iraq, hence the Sunni insurgency is trying to stop Democracy in Iraq at all costs.

Al Qaeda also does not want liberal deomcracy flowering in the Middle East, because they want to see a "Sharia" government, i.e., a strict fundamentalist islamist government, holding sway everywhere. Showing Al Qaeda a liberal Democracy in Iraq (women voters? sacrilege!) is like showing a cross to Dracula, hence they are also in on the fight, and are supporting the Sunnis.

Meanwhile, the majority of the people in Iraq - 67% - think their country is heading in the right direction.

No, not like Red Dawn at all.

RobertW

Supporting Actor
i said "the insurgents", not "the majority of iraqi people". meaning, they're a small handful of outnumbered people fighting a vastly superior military force using whatever means at their disposal. to achieve whatever meager success they do have will also have high casualty costs on their own numbers.

not intending to turn this into a political issue. just pointing something out. work on your reading comprehension, and save your knee-jerk right-wing reactionary stuff for your fellow dittoheads.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks