What's new

Pre-Order Red Dawn Collector's Edition (1984) (4k UHD) Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
71zP5-TvUKL._SY679_.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below. If you are using an adblocker you will not see link. As an Amazon Associate HTF earns from qualifying purchases

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Wonder if there's any extra footage. Might be time to finally buy this.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
I’ve loved this film since my first viewing on opening day in 1984. Tons of fun. I’ll be buying day one for sure.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I think most of us do, but then there are some people that likes to express their passion.;)

Yes, I do. But only for a very few particular titles on this forum. Generally, I keep quiet, out of respect for those who might like it. But RED DAWN, which I saw theatrically in '84, rubbed me in a really bad way. John Milius could be a good writer and even occasionally a good director, but too much of the time his films are jingoistic as hell, the same way the more offensive (to me) John Wayne movies are.

I'm all done. I'll try to repress this sort of comment in future.

Happy Very Funny GIF by Disney Zootopia

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I do. But only for a very few particular titles on this forum. Generally, I keep quiet, out of respect for those who might like it. But RED DAWN, which I saw theatrically in '84, rubbed me in a really bad way. John Milius could be a good writer and even occasionally a good director, but too much of the time his films are jingoistic as hell, the same way the more offensive (to me) John Wayne movies are.

Agreed. Red Dawn is a diverting enough action film and on that level I enjoy it (mostly on the basis of a pretty solid cast), but (I think) you can't treat the film's scenario as anything approaching reality. In that regard, it doesn't actually differ from a LOT of action cinema.

I'm all done. I'll try to repress this sort of comment in future.

No problems. Discussion is why we are here.

In terms of realism, Red Dawn would be a good double bill with Chuck Norris' Invasion U.S.A. :)

- Walter.

Desslar

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Stephen
Invasion U.S.A. is an entertaining cheesefest, like most of Chuck's 70s/80s movies, but it certainly doesn't put the same effort into realizing its scenario that Red Dawn does, realistic or not.

I didn't like the movie that much when I first saw it, as I thought it strained credibility to have a handful of teenagers successfully thwarting professional soldiers repeatedly, but decades of news reporting on various insurgencies around the world has made that seem a little less improbable.

What stands out to me from the film is that, unlike most U.S. action films, the heroes are not bulletproof. That raises the stakes of the narrative considerably. In contrast, through 3 Expendables films (love the second one), I believe only one (minor) hero died, and not even in battle. That's a bit silly.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
...But RED DAWN, which I saw theatrically in '84, rubbed me in a really bad way. John Milius could be a good writer and even occasionally a good director, but too much of the time his films are jingoistic as hell, the same way the more offensive (to me) John Wayne movies are...
Based on the early promotional material, I assumed that it was a satire, until I watched it and realised it most definitely was not.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
My copy showed up from Target yesterday. Shout Factory might be playing a little loose with the whole "NEW 4k Scan From The Original Camera Negative" phrase. Scenes without subtitles look like a 4k OCN scan but those with subtitles, which are quite a few, look like they suffer from generation loss due to burned in subtitles. Overall happy to have it since I never had the previous Shout Select release just the 1st MGM/Fox one it's just the PQ variance is disappointing. Also the packaging states a Dolby Atmos track no dice just DTS-HD MA 5.1 & 2.0

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Based on the early promotional material, I assumed that it was a satire, until I watched it and realised it most definitely was not.

Would you have enjoyed the film had it been a satire? Personally, I prefer films without messages or agendas. Movies are just more fun as popcorn entertainment.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Would you have enjoyed the film had it been a satire? Personally, I prefer films without messages or agendas. Movies are just more fun as popcorn entertainment.
I don't think Red Dawn can be characterised as not having an agenda. Milius is always engaging in political commentary, even when some perceive his films as "popcorn entertainment."

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
No political references are allowed on this forum.

4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

4. No politics or religion. We do not permit the discussion of politics or religion at HTF. However, there is a narrow exception to this rule. If the subject matter of a movie or television show includes politics and/or religion, then they may be discussed insofar as they pertain to that specific movie or television show.
If you have a question regarding my warning then PM me per our posting guidelines.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks