What's new

Recommendations on Golf Clubs? (1 Viewer)

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
What's the difference between the 845's and 855's?

.. and are there places to purchase 3-SW 845's new?

I'm just doing some homework. I have no intentions in buying for the next month or so.

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I learned to play on garbage clubs. I know a guy that had never played before and walked out there with $1500 in his bag, he looked very silly.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
What's the difference between the 845's and 855's?
The 845's used to be the mainstay of the Tommy Armour line of irons. They then "improved" the design and introduced the change as the 855's. This new model proved to be unsuccessful, so they went back to the 845 clubhead design and reused the 845 model name. I think the new 845's come in either a regular head size and an oversized head.

FYI, I owned a set of those ill-fated 855's for a couple of years and did not like them at all. While I did try them out before buying the clubs, I did not compare them to enough other brands. I ended up selling the 855's after about 3 years and did a much more thorough evaluation for irons the next time.

Bill Wise

Agent
I have a bag full of Callaways (except for my Titleist putter) and you will pry them from my cold, dead fingers. That having been said though, the 845s are nice sticks and seem to be at a more than fair price.

Enjoy,

Bill

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
I realize that there are places to buy 845's new. I just couldn't find the 845's 3-SW (3-PW with matching gap and sand wedge).

I can find the 855's 3-SW, but not the 845's.

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
yeah, the 845's don't usually come with the sandwedge but if you go to a local store they can probably order it for you...

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
For Sale: FULL SET (including the 1 iron, 2 iron, 3iron through 9 iron, gap wedge, and sand wedge. In good condition... TOMMY ARMOUR 845s Silver Scot irons. You can get just the 3-PW for about $200 on ebay, but each of the additional clubs will cost anywhere from $30-$60 EACH.
I'll let them all go for $150 plus shipping.
They are a great set, very forgiving....even the "toed" or "heeled" shots still go a nice long way, without losing much distance.
They have been one of the most popular game-improvment clubs for over a decade. I've shot some great golf with thme, and I know 3 other people who also have a set. Many people love 'em!!
You can check out the reviews on them at www.golfreview.com.
I would get these even if they were in terrible shape. You are just a beginner, there is no need to get clubs fitted or spend a lot of money on.

I still play with my $150 set of ping imitation clubs, a $40 McGeggor Driver and a nice Oydessy putter. You will not need nicer clubs until you are consistant.

Adam Bluhm

Supporting Actor
Eh.. I'm not exactly a beginner. I've played for about six years now (off and on). Granted I only shot a 44 (including penalty strokes for two lost balls on the first two holes) this year, it is the first time I was on the course in over a year. I'm ready to stand up to a nicer set of irons and I'm going to swing whatever I purchase.

Unfortunately, I hit a deer on my motorcycle a couple hours after my round of 9. My cast will be off my thumb in a week and that is when I begin therapy. I won't be able to swing a club for quite a while. I doubt that used set will still be around.

These are just a couple of reasons I'm not jumping for that used set and am asking questions about club fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks