I'm going to take up golf...any pointers?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by LarryDavenport, Nov 18, 2003.

1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

When it stops raining I want to start playing golf. I've played a couple 3 par courses with rented clubs but want to buy my own set. I was hoping for some pointers.

What do I look for in a set?

Can someone recommend a set for under $400?

Is Wilson a good golf club maker? I've seen sets by them in the $150-$300 range).

If I play public courses do I need golf shoes or are sneakers ok?

2. Steve_Tk

Steve_Tk Cinematographer

sneakers are ok. Don't invest too much until you realize that you will not give it up. I've seen a lot of people want to play, buy the stuff to play, and get frustrated that they suck and quit pretty quickly. We all suck if we don't play a lot.

3. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

4. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

Take lessons before you develop any bad habits. You can NEVER be better than completely mega-sucky at golf without lessons. Lots of practice and lessons will make it so you're just sucky.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Do not even buy a driver until you learn to hit your other clubs. I would look for a used set of cavity back irons and a couple of fairway woods. Until you decide whether you are going to stay with the game, avoid spending a lot of money on equipment. The driver and long irons will be the most difficult to learn how to hit. Take a few beginners lessons, practice and have a lot of patience. It's a very difficult game to learn how to play well.

You may want to subscribe to Golf Digest, too. The magazine provides a lot of game improvement pointers and has articles on equipment. Even if you do not follow the professional golf tours, there is a lot of useful information for a golfer.

6. wally

wally Second Unit

7. Bill Griffith

Bill Griffith Supporting Actor

Don't spend alot of money up front. Get cheap X out balls or cheaper. You can get an adiquate set of clubs for under $200 at academy sports or Oshmans or any sports chain. Get a cheap bag, less than $40, and a pair of comfortable shoes with soft spikes, and a putter, a cheap putter, some tees and a divet repairer. Also get a glove for both hands until your hands toughen up in the area the club effects.

Go to a range and hit some balls.

8. Hunter P

Hunter P Screenwriter

Buy used balls. You'll be losing a lot of them.[​IMG]

My $.02 on lessons. Sure they can be helpful, sometimes very helpful for some. But for others, lessons are a waste of time. If you watch the PGA, you'll see a lot of different swing styles. Depite the difference, they all hit the ball straight.

The pros are able to hit the ball straight due to repetition. Learn your natural swing and make adjustments from there.

9. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Whatever you do, don't try to impress a girl like Tareq did on "Average Joe" last night, if you think you can just master the game of golf with 10 minutes of instruction. [​IMG]

10. Scott Merryfield

11. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

12. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

Spend time at a driving range. I always say this as a first step:

Go out a few times with a five iron. Hit from the driving range and work on hitting the ball straight, for fair, but not phenomenal distance. Some of the biggest mistakes golfers make (new) is that they try to crush the ball as though hitting with as much power as they have is the solution. You are more likely to have serious errors doing that (topping the ball; hooking; etc.) by overpowering then you are if you develop form. Work on a stroke that is comfortable and keep your eye ON THE BALL as you swing. Do NOT lift your head until you are at the END of your swing, as a ball will carry with your club on the upswing, and lifting your head will drastically damage the flight of the ball for most players.

Go out, try to go a few times, you may or may not need a lot of lessons; once you get comfortable hitting with a 5 Iron, many of the irons will come with greater ease; and you can work on drivers as well.

Try to finish up each practice with some time putting; and make sure to try and practice fairly regularly..

Just a few thoughts [​IMG]

13. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Keep your left elbow straight. [​IMG]

Seriously, that's the best tip I ever received. My brother basically taught me how to golf, and he taught himself. We're basically self-taught and have improved over the years. We're now to the point of upgrading our equipment (he just bought me Tommy Armour 855's for Christmas!) and having fun doing well.

Don't get frustrated too early! It takes time.

.. sneakers, a collar and you're in like a dirty shirt.[​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

15. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

16. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Just don't try copying Jim Furyk's swing...

17. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport Cinematographer

Thanks. There's a driving range at the University of Washington (where I work) so I can get a bucket of balls for half the price. I plan on working out at the driving range and putting green a couple times a week this winter before trying a round this spring. (like I said before, I've played 9-hole, 3-par courses before. This summer I want to play the new course in Auburn (WA) that is affiliated with the UW. It's called Washington National and it looks really cool. They are hoping to get a PGA tour their some day.

I'm not too worried about giving it up as all my friends play golf.

18. Scott Merryfield

19. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

So is it early too advise on sweeping the ball on tees with the driver/woods, and compressing balls into the ground with irons to get good ball flight (i.e. getting the divot that appears in front of the ball, not behind it)? [​IMG]

20. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

I strongly recommend lessons. I don't recommend getting any of the golf magazines, at least not to begin with. It seemed to me that when I first started reading it, every month someone would give different advice on how to do the same thing. I'd go to the driving range and try out the different recommendations and I can't begin to tell you how much all that crap f****d my game up. Not that it was ever great, I just got a lot worse. I started taking some lessons this summer and they were a huge help. Now I just really suck.[​IMG] [​IMG]