Picking a golf training aid

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by James Slade, Apr 30, 2003.

1. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I am looking for a training aid to help my swing. I have clubs I am happy with and do get some lessons, although right now (in a new town) I don't have a pro that I am interested in spending time with.

So I am looking for something to practice with on my own at home and at the range.

Aids I am aware of

Power Link
    Medicus
    Laser Trainers
    Weighted clubs

Can you recommend one of these? Have you had a bad experience with these or any other trainers, besides they are over priced?

Thanks

2. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

Swear Jar....could earn you that new Callaway Driver [​IMG]

3. Drew Bethel

Drew Bethel Screenwriter

The price of Swing Majic has tumbled from $89 last year to $39 this season - only problem is you can't hit real golf balls with it.

4. Scott Wong

Scott Wong Second Unit

I'm currently borrowing my friend's Momentus Swing Trainer...i.e., weighted club. I'm a complete beginner and this is only my first season. However, it does help to get me back on plane. I'm playing my first executive par 3 round tomorrow (weather permitting) *yay!* [​IMG]

I'm prety excited. I've been going nuts with everything. I got a lot of really nice golf shirts on ebay as well as a lot of different types of balls. I picked up my starter set of clubs (they're Hippos) a month or so ago and have been practicing with them quite a bit.

Sorry I trailed off. I'm just super excited... hahaha.

Scott.

5. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

I've played competetive golf at the college level. I have years of playing (and of course practice) experience. My only advice is, that no matter what you may be working on with your swing, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE YOUR FUNDAMENTALS DOWN! By this I mean, your ball position, posture, grip, alignment, and stance (BPGAS to help you remember). I have always had access to live video feedback of my swing, and I can tell you that there is nothing more frustrating than working on a part of your swing, when one of your fundamentals is off. Time to start over.

Just my two cents. Let me know if you want me to elaborate or just shut up. Good luck!

6. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

I am surprised so little input?

To The Top

7. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have an earlier version of the Medicus, which has a single hingeas opposed to the double-hinged one they sell today.

I have the hinged 5-iron, which is $90 on their website. That seems like an awful lot of money to me, since I bought it for $5. [​IMG]

However, the thing really works. It helped me make my swing more consistent and effortless, and I hit longer and more precis shots. It didn't help THAT much scorewise, my short game is my main problem, but it made the game a lot more enjoyable.

In fact, this reminds me I should probably start using it again... my game has been slipping lately. [​IMG]

8. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Medicus is the one I am leaning towards, seems to make the most sense to me. I hear it is frustrating to use, but I am willing to give it a try.

I do worry about learning to keep the club on line (no breaking, but using some poor body positioning, but I guess nothing is perfect.

If I could find a used left handed on cheap near me, I'd by it in a second!!

9. Cam S

Cam S Screenwriter

The best training aids arn't really training aids so to speak. The best way to improve your game is to have PROPERLY fitted clubs, and get a few lessons from a pro. This might cost a little extra, but it will go along ways in the long run.

I don't see how those other aids will help you if your swing mechanics are way off or your clubs are completely wrong for you. It just won't make your game better.

10. MickeS

MickeS Producer

Cam S, it doesn't have to be either or. A few lessons every now and then are of course to be recommended whether you have some sort of training aid or not.

11. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

I played division 1 college golf and I used to be a teaching pro. I still play to a 1 handicap.

The only training aid for the SWING that I would buy with my own money is the Medicus. It's a great device. You can hit real balls with it and it will break down if you do. It's a muscle memory device that really works. Highly recommended.

Not only does it teach you the proper fundamentals, but it forces you to start your backswing slower in order to get into a good position at the top. Even with good fundamentals, solid players get into bad habits by swinging too fast and getting their balance all out of whack. The Medicus even prevents this. Great aid.

12. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Evan,

I was going to buy a Medicus (the two hinge model) and it's great that you recommend it. I was wondering, does it work for any swing speed? In other words, does it "break down" only if your tempo is off? Could Tiger Woods use one, even if his swing speed is higher than most? How about height -- does it matter if I'm 6'4"?

Thanks.

13. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Brian, from the top down, the medicus will NOT break down even if you swing at 140 mph as long as you are on the correct plane and have your hands in the proper position. Tiger Woods could use it...he only swings around 130! It will break down on the backswing if you take it back quickly using your wrists. If you take it back using the big muscles (shoulders and arms), it should not break down assuming, again, that you are on plane.

It doesn't matter how tall you are. I think there is a version for tall golfers, but it simply extends the shaft length. I don't think the fundamentals change at all due to height of the individual.

14. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Well my clubs aren't wrong for me, there are a perfect fit actually. As I stated I do get some lessons, and have a pretty decent swing. I can already play the can fairly well, but there is always room for improvement. What I am looking for is comments on training aids, not comment from people saying they are pointless.

To those adding to the thread, keep it coming.

15. eric holm

eric holm Stunt Coordinator

Have you seen the Swing Jacket?

www.swingjacket.com

I haven't really used one but today I borrowed one from a guy I work with. Normally, I don't really believe in these 'shortcuts' but this has been recommended to me by some very good golfers as a way to show you what an on-plane swing actually feels like.

Any other opinions would be appreciated as well.

16. MickeS

MickeS Producer

I have no idea if the swing jacket works, but one thing I have learned about training aids (and exercise equipment in general) is that for me they need to be easy and quick to use. I would be afraid that after the initial excitement over the product, it would be too much of a hassle to bring it along and put it on every time. The great thing about the Medicus is that it's always in my bag, and it doesn't take a second longer to use that one instead of any other club on the driving range.

But it would be interesting to hear more about that jacket. [​IMG]