Recommendations on Golf Clubs?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Matty P, Aug 25, 2003.

1. Matty P

Matty P Stunt Coordinator

Hello all, my wife has kindly offered to buy me a set of clubs for our anniversary and I was hoping to get some tips on what to look for. Just started golfing 2 years ago and went about 5-7 times this season. I plan on getting out a lot more next year. Can I get by with just a basic set of irons for around $200? I was told that the 2 clubs I want to spend a little extra on would be a driver and putter (obviously). Any help/advice with name brands/materials is greatly appreciated, thanks!

2. Mike Wladyka

Mike Wladyka Supporting Actor

My Set includes the following, and i included prices so you can see where i spent my money:

845's (3-SW) for $275
    Big Bertha SteelHead driver and 3-wood for $250 for both
    Odyssey Putter for $50

i love my clubs, my set has been completed for a couple of years now...i tried lots of clubs before buying...and suggest you do the same...make sure your clubs feel good when you hit them and that they look good when lining them up...there is nothing worse than looking down and seeing an ugly ass club just before you swing...

BTW--technology in golf clubs will only take you so far...a good golf swing with crappy clubs will give a better score than good clubs with a crappy swing...

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

4. Tommy Ceez

Tommy Ceez Second Unit

If youve only been playing for 2 years your swing has not developed yet. Get a setr of clubs that you think are nice (the psychological affect of being proud of your nice clubs is real) but not so expensive that you would feel bad about getting rid of in 3 or so years when you know more about what works and doesnt work for you.
    New golf clubs are probably the most exciting things on earth.

5. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

I have a great set of irons for you. I just upgraded to some Taylor Mades.

For Sale: FULL SET (including the 1 iron, 2 iron, 3iron through 9 iron, gap wedge, and sand wedge. In good condition... TOMMY ARMOUR 845s Silver Scot irons. You can get just the 3-PW for about $200 on ebay, but each of the additional clubs will cost anywhere from $30-$60 EACH.
    I'll let them all go for $150 plus shipping.
    They are a great set, very forgiving....even the "toed" or "heeled" shots still go a nice long way, without losing much distance.
    They have been one of the most popular game-improvment clubs for over a decade. I've shot some great golf with thme, and I know 3 other people who also have a set. Many people love 'em!!
    You can check out the reviews on them at www.golfreview.com.

I also have a few drivers and putters laying around that aren't doing anything. PM me if you would like more information. (I can easily sell these for much more, but am willing to give a good deal to a fellow HTer!!) [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

What's even more important when selecting your clubs is to make sure that it has the correct shaft for your swing. I think that the correct shaft selection is a LOT more important than having the newest head.

Go to a custom fitter and have yourself fitted. You might even learn things about your swing you never knew before. Trust me, it's going to save you from the headache of constant upgrades.

7. brentl

brentl Cinematographer

I guess I'm the third person in this thread that has/does use 845 Silver Scot clubs.

This is my third summer with my clubs and I'm STILL getting used to them, but when you hit them clean they go nice.

The only problem I find is that since I've got a slow swing getting stiff shafts wasn't a good idea[​IMG]

That's a nice deal on the 845s and a great club all the way to single digit handicap!

Brent

8. Vincent_S

Vincent_S Second Unit

I think I have seen Callaway x-12's on Ebay for about $250 or so. That's what I use and have been hapy with them.

9. Mike Wladyka

10. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

The only time I wouldn't advise going to have shafts fitted is if the golfer is only a beginner and hasn't "grooved" his/her swing. In any other circumstance, I would suggest getting shafts fitted to the player's swing.

Different people have different swings...brought about by a myriad of factors, not all of which are due to a player's lack of effort to improve the golf swing.

11. Mike Wladyka

Sorry Ari,

when i hear custom fitting, i think of changing lie angles, offsets, etc....i do agree with different shafts for different people, custom fitting shafts is a good idea (i just didn't think you meant only shaft fitting)

12. Ari

Ari Stunt Coordinator

Mike,
    No need to say sorry...just a simple misunderstanding....

13. Jack Shappa

Jack Shappa Second Unit

If you're a fairly new golfer, get yourself some basic clubs from some place like K-Mart. Nothing more pathetic than a crappy golfer using $2,000 clubs. Then reward yourself as you improve. Start upgrading with your driver, then your chipping wedge, then your putter. When you feel you are no longer a newbie splurge on the rest [​IMG]

- JS

14. Adam Bluhm

Adam Bluhm Supporting Actor

Cool thread. I'm looking for a new set of irons as I recoup from a motorcycle accident (hit a deer, nothing I could do). I tore a ligament from my thumb, and my immobility made me realize how much I enjoy physical activity over motorcycle riding (basketball, exercising, golf.. [​IMG] ).

Anywho, the Tommy Armours look like they get a good nod. I had no idea they could go for under $200! I've been thinking about them or a nice set of Lynx. From what I'm hearing, however, I'll sway toward the 845's.

As always, I'll swing by the local Dick's Sporting to test 'em out.

15. Tim Morton

Tim Morton Stunt Coordinator

The 845's are a great set of clubs, depending on the condion $150 would be a very good investment in your golfing future..you could easily get a lifetime of golf out of them. Another nice set to look at would be Cleveland's. Obviously stay away from the k-mart specials or youi wsill HATE gold within a year...but also don't show up on saturday with Full-on Titlest club's and bag and shank the first shot into the woods...makes for a long day. I would go fo the 845's offered here if they are clean. but keep in mind you are years away from hitting a 1-iron[​IMG] but having the matching wedges is worth the cost of admission right there!!!

16. Paul O

Paul O Stunt Coordinator

Can't go wrong with Callaway's - as a new golfer you'll benefit from their game improvement features and as you get better you can stick with them. Callaway's also hold their value much better than other pro clubs - you can buy them used from www.callawaypreowned.com and sell them for close to what you paid for them years later. $200 for a set of starter clubs may seem cheap but there a bad bargain in the long run since they have zero value when you resell.

17. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

That does sound like a very good deal on the 845's if they're in good shape. You can also hit some clubs at a pro shop and have them determine your shaft length and then look around on eBay.

My wife and I recently took up golf and I made some pretty good finds on clubs. I found her a brand new set of Taylor Made Burner Bubbles (3-SW, 1-3-5W, and stand bag) for $430. Sure they're an older club but still quite good and I'd have paid almost 4X as much at local pro shop. For myself I found a used set of King Cobra II irons 3-SW (which I'd hit before they went out of production) for $180 and I'm very happy with them. For some starter woods I was able to find a new set of Wilson Fat Boys (1-3-5) for $185. Sure, they're not Deep Reds or Taylor Mades but they're good enough for me until I can improve enough to justify spending more. Which should be several years at least.[​IMG]

My one suggestion on shafts is to get steel shafted irons. I can't hit them quite as far as clubs with graphite shafts but they have a much more consistent feel.

18. Mike Wladyka

19. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

20. DavidMich

DavidMich Stunt Coordinator

The 845s I've offered have regular-flex steel shafts in them. No Rust, No Dents, Good Condition. The grips are the first thing to wear out on any club. The grips on these are all in great shape.....they are Golf Pride Tour Wrap. Nice and Soft, and show no signs of misuse/wear. The gap wedge has a different grip on it....it's a Golf Pride Full Cord.
    I used the gap wedge quite alot....and preferred the Full Cord grip for the delicate feel it provided around the green. If you want to have a golf shop regrip it to match the others, it will probably cost about $8 to get it re-done.

The poster above is right.....just the matching wedges alone are worth this price.
    I have a co-worker interested in buying these from me as well....he knows it's a great deal.
    Any takers before I offer them to him?

(Almost forgot: Steel shafts are the way to go, unless you are very old, with bad joints etc. The graphite shafts simply absorb shock a little better than steel. Steel shafts are more accurate, because they have less torque than graphite. Most people are okay with a little inconsistency on thier drive/fairway woods, because the "target area" is bigger. How many professional golfers do you see using graphite irons?? .... I can't recall any.....)