What's new

Recommendation on receiver... (1 Viewer)

Dominic_L

Auditioning
I presently own a Pioneer VSX-D510 but I'm not satisfied.

Here's my speakers:
All Energy's
XL-26 front
CL-C2 center
XL-16 surround
S8.2 sub.

My Pioneer is not powerful enough. My ht room is about 11.5 x 15 feet. I used my system 50% for movies and 50% for music.

I have a budget of 1500$ (can) for a new receiver. What are your recommendation?

Thank you.

MikeRP

Supporting Actor
Just purchased the Pioneer 45 TX and I really like it.

But, I also would seriously consider the HK 8000 in your price range. Mine was a little lower. The HK 520 is a real steal right now. And the Onkyo 900 just came out. Also I think everyone is expecting announcements for new products from HK, Denon, Onkyo, and others.

The Pioneer is their new model. The MCACC is great. You might get a 47TX in that price range.

Good Luck.

Let us know what you decide!

Mike

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I'm not familiar with your receiver, but if the processing capabilities are good and it has pre-outs, then perhaps you should consider adding an amplifier rather than buying another receiver if power is your primary need.

The upcoming Outlaw 7100 will give you 100 watts into 7 channels for around $900US. Or the Outlaw (755?) will give you 200 watts into 5 channels for around $1200US. There may well be other multichannel amps in your price-range. Something to consider...

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't think using the 510 as a pre/pro would be such a great idea. For the budget you're looking at (around $1000 us, i think?) i would second the 45TX or possible the Denon 3802 (or 3803) if it ever comes out. I would recceomend the 45TX over the 47TX simply because of the Auto MCACC. I've heard really good things about it.

Yogi

Screenwriter
With Energys, which I consider fairly forward, I would pair a Denon, Marantz or a HK. I would certainly not pair an Onkyo or a Yamaha to them. All three that I have mentioned are very good for 2 channel music with top notch HT processing. I believe you can get the Marantz 7200, the new 3803 (when it comes out) and the HK 520 within your budget.

Best of luck and tell us of your impressions.

Sebastien David

Second Unit
how about the Sony STR-DA4ES?
Don't buy it at the Sony House though, they charge too much for it, at worst order it from another store (Audiotronic/Dumoulin maybe?).

Do you listen mostly to music or HT?

-Seb

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks