What's new

Recomendations for Fronts in the $600 range? (1 Viewer)

CurtisSC

Screenwriter
You are right Lew....I think we lost sight the the cost factor.

Something easy to do in this hobby! :)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Something easy to do in this hobby!
Too true Curtis.

I just love a thread that starts with someone requesting suggestions for an item (sub for example) with a $400 budget. So someone suggest a Rava. And then someone else mentions for another $100 you could get a VTF-2. At that point someone else points out that for only another $100 you could have a UFW-10 (and the beautiful rosewood cabinet)—I was guilty of this, btw.

So now we are already 50% over budget and have only started, as it is time for someone to point out that none of these suggestions, fine as they are will fill a good-sized room with gut-wrenching special effects at reference levels. But for just another couple of hundred you could get …

And so it goes.

I do agree with your original suggestion of looking at internet direct companies. I was in Asia/Pacific when this explosion took place. When I returned here last year, I never would have believed that I’d buy A/V gear via the internet. Best decision I’ve made in a while. But it does take careful research.

Mark Dickerson

Stunt Coordinator
Kevin:

What are you using for a receiver (or, if separates, what are you driving your speakers with)? It makes a real difference in what I might suggest for speakers.

Kevin Day

Auditioning
Mark:
I'm currenly using a Sony STR-DE925 that I've had for 4 or 5 years. I'm hoping to upgrade that last. To what? Who knows! That's a whole different thread. I'm thinking probably Denon or Pioneer Elite. If I'm in a good financial position at that point, I may even look at Marantz.

I've had the Klipsch's for a week now and I'm REALLY growing to like them. I went over and checked out a system very similar to the one I'm looking to build here, and I was extremely impressed. This may not be the system to blow your neighbors out of bed (I do live in an apartment at the moment), but I'm really satisfied, so I'm sticking with the Klipsch's. Someday I'll go high end, but this is a good place to start.

I did quite a bit of reading on the Axiom's, but I'm a little skeptical about buying without listening, and if I don't like them, the cost to return ship would lower my budget for the next pair.

Larry Talbot

Second Unit
I have Klipsch RB-5 bookshelves as mains. They ARE bright at times in the high end, no doubt about it, which is why many Klipsch users say you should pair them with the right amp/reciever. I had an old Yamahah and they sounded terrible, switched to Denon and the sound is much, much better.
Also, I don't know if this is still the case, and I don't know if it is an option for you or not, but I decided to go with Klipsch because I could save a lot of money off the price offered by my local brick and mortar store by buying online. Unlike Paradigm, Klipsch does not seem to have as much control over online pricing, so you can really save a bundle by buying online, at least you could when I got my RB-5s and the rest of my setup. I literally saved several hundered dollars off the MSRP. Just something for you to consider.
Also, I would advise you not to make the same mistake I did and buy a Klipsch sub. I bought a Klipsch KSW12 sub and now wish I hadn't because there are much better subs available for at or near the same price.

Kevin Day

Auditioning
I actually don't plan on doing a sub until dead last anyway. I know my movies will be lacking something without one, but I don't want to get evicted either.

I have heard the RSW are much better subs than the KSW series, however, and thought about looking at them when the time comes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.