What's new

Reciever Brands? (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
When it comes to low priced receivers, I like Pioneers. No hard evidence, I just like the way they sound. I have a Pioneer 606 in my bedroom, a much older model, and I am very happy with it. In my experience you can get more for your money by buying an older model, either used or refurbished. I got my main receiver, an Onkyo 919, for $400 a couple years ago used, but in very good condition. Originally it was $1800+, and today sounds as good as $1500+ receivers with the right external decoders (which I have).
Take a look at the great deals on refurbished stuff at the Harmon outlet . You can find great deals on older Hamon/Kardon units. Particularly if DTS sound is not important to you, you can get a great bargain on older stuff that will sound fantastic.
Another of my favorite places to shop is Link Removed . They have a lot of Pioneer and Denon stuff there usually.
Also, check out Pioneer Direct for some good deals on older Pioneer stuff.
Refurbished usually means factory refurbished - stuff that has returned to the factory. Supposedly this stuff has been fixed or checked out to be as good as new, and has warrantee (though usually not as good a warrantee as new stuff). I have a LOT of refurbished stuff, but some people are uncomfortable with it.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Gregg_C

Grip
Harman Outlet. They sell refurbished receivers, including current year models. I bought a Harman/Kardon AVR-110 from them. It's got Dolby Digital/DTS, S-Video switching, optical in and out, and front panel connectors. It's an awesome receiver for 300 bucks! And it was highly rated by users athttp://www.audioreview.com which is a consumer rating site. Don't let refurbished scare you off, the receiver came fully packed and looking brand new. Plus, they offer full refunds and guarantees on their equipment.
http://www.harmanaudio.com
Checkhttp://www.crutchfield.com for detailed diagrams of the AVR-110 (which they sell for $399).
Thanks,
Gregg

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, well I seem to be leaning twoards a Pioneer made Reciever, since it looks like they are a decent place to start with decent features, for a little less money.
I'm thinking of taking a chance and buying a refurbished one. I was looking at Link Removed and found the Pioneer 709 that Bobby was talking about earlier in the thread. Link Removed
I have a question now. I was reading the features, and it says that there is all Pre-amp outputs. Now does that mean, that if I get this reciever, I will need to buy a seperate amp for my speakers as well?
And I'm a little confused my this MOFSET amplifier I read about. If all outputs are pre-amp how can there be an amp in side?
As you can see I'm really confused about all this. IS THIS EVEN A GOOD RECIEVER TO START WITH? Or should I forget about this one and look for another, I don't want to make a hasty decision, or an uninformed one.
Thank you all for bearing with me.........Wil

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Video Signal Types: (worst to best)
RF connector - the 75 ohm (?) connector, often used for antennae connections
Composite - single RCA cable connection for entire video signal (the video signal is carried as a composite of its different portions). This and RF are typical connectors for VCRs.
Super VHS (SVHS) - Essentially carries the video information as two signals. Cable connector looks more like a mouse-connector for a computer, than an audio RCA cable.
Component - Carries the video information as the three distinct video components (hence the name). Highest quality for standard television and non-progressive DVD players.
HD Component (?) - Can carry full video signal for progressive DVD output, HDTV signals, and other high-definition sources (I'm unsure if this is considered separate from 'normal' component)

Dan_D

Stunt Coordinator
i just got a Onkyo DS484 for $180. I bought it somewhat impulsively because of the great deal, but i have no regrets. Im very happy with it and it performs fantastic. Much nicer build, feel (knobs, etc), and sound wise than my Dad's Sony DE64-someting. The only drawback for me is that it only has composite vid switching, but for $180 i wont whine too much. I plan to move this to my computer and buy a higher end Onkyo for the HT sooner or later, but untill then im getting by just fine. :)
------------------

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
quote: And I'm a little confused my this MOFSET amplifier I read about. If all outputs are pre-amp how can there be an amp in side?[/quote]
MOSFET = Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistor (a mouthful, eh?). MOSFET amplifiers generally run cooler and more efficiently than their bipolar counterparts, because as the temperature increases, the resistance of the transistor increases (whereas bipolar amps do the opposite - decrease resistance; thus getting hotter and hotter). Thus, less power is transferred and less circuitry is required for thermal stability. Disadvantage? MOSFET amps can cost 2-4 times as much as traditional bipolar designs, which is why they are usually reserved for more expensive receivers and power amps.
Preamp outputs allow you to add an outboard power amp if you need more power than what the receiver's internal amp can provide. In other words, it allows you to use your receiver as a "pre/pro" (preamp/processor).
------------------
[Edited last by Nicholas A. Gallegos on July 10, 2001 at 11:19 PM]

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
I did some looking around at some of the pictures crutchfield had of some Recievers since my last post. I saw the Onkyo TX-DS494, and once I really looked at it and pictured it, I'm convinced that it should be the one I start out this crazy hobby with.
It has everything that I'm looking for in a reciever, and even at Crutchfield's price it still fits in to my budget. I'm not saying that I'll buy it from them, but I am saying that so far, I have my eye set on that one.
Thanks for your help everyone. You can be sure that if I have anymore questions, I know where to look......Wil
[Edited last by Wil_J on July 10, 2001 at 11:22 PM]

Youssef

Stunt Coordinator
I have an Onkyo 575 (70w x 5) DTS and DD on board. I am looking to sell it for $250. let me know if your interested. Also, you said that you want to get a speaker system right? well i am also looking to sell my speaker setup. It's currently up on ebay but if i found a buyer for it, i'll take it off ebay. I have Polk RT 600i's as the mains (cherry finish), CS245i (center channel) and RT15i's as the surrounds(cherry finish). it is an awesome setup and i would be willing to sell it for about the same price you might pay for those crappy ass HTIB buys. I'll sell the whole speaker setup for $575 flat before shipping costs. at the store, then whole thing retails for around $1000+tax. It is in excellent condition and looks BRAND NEW.
[Edited last by Youssef on July 11, 2001 at 12:55 AM]

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Hey, it would be nice man. However, I don't have the cold hard cash to give you man. I was planning on buying this by hopefully just after the begining of Augest or so. Sooner if that is possible, but I can't afford spend more that what is in my budget right now.
In simpler terms: I want to, but don't have the money fully saved yet........Wil

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Wil,
The Pioneer 709 is a seriously kick-ass receiver. IMHO it will wipe the floor with the Onkyo you're looking at. Take a look at Pioneer's spec page for the unit. The price at Spidergear is an absolute steal at 1/4 full retail. The Onkyo will be great also, but is a definite step down from the Pioneer 709. I'm a big fan of both Onkyo and Pioneer receivers. The pre-amp outs on the 709 are there so that you can use an external power-amp if someday you want to. You'll probably never use them since the internal amps will sound fine.
But don't hesitate, Spider's (a click-and-mortar) been known to have very limited numbers of product, and now that the word is out aboutt his bargain they may not last long.
------------------
Philip Hamm
AIM: PhilBiker

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Hey Philip,
You think that Pioneer 709 would be a good match with the JBL NSP1 system and a Sony SAWM40 sub? I was considering the Onkyo's everyone is talking about but if I can get an intermin solution for maybe a year or so to tide me over until I graduate and possibly through grad school it would be great to save $200 by going with the Spidergear deal instead.
I don't really have much need for Dolby Prologic II since I wouldn't listen to much music at all with the system (may have used it for videogames, but I doubt it) and so the Pioneer was looking rather enticing at only ~$200. What do you think?
Also, Spidergear lists the receiver as the Pioneer 709, what's the difference between this and the 709S people talk about just out of curiosity? I also can't find any explicit mention of this in any spec listing but the 709 does have at least one optical digital input right? That's the only output I have available so it's kind of a necessity.
Sorry to hijack your topic Wil :)
[Edited last by Sean Laughter on July 11, 2001 at 08:07 AM]

I am sort of in your position. I am looking at the Onkyo 595 but what is this HT that yours is lacking? What would your next upgrade choice be, and does the 595 have this HT(it sounds significant)
Thanks

Mark Dubbelboer

Screenwriter
Sean, I'm pretty sure the 709 and 709s are the same thing...just laziness
and from that spidergear website "4 Assignable Digital Inputs & 1 Out "
If you go to the pioneer website and sign up you can download the manuals in pdf format. quite convenient.
*edit* - Based on the manual it looks like it has 2 toslink in's and 2 digital coax in's and a toslink out
[Edited last by Mark Dubbelboer on July 11, 2001 at 01:05 PM]

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
No problem Sean. :)
Phil, I'll keep your advice in mind. However, in my previous thread (Getting Started), I said that one of my priorities is music.
That is still the case, and the 709 mentioned doesn't have PL II, and that is one thing that I really want with my reciever. And, with this not being a brand new model Onkyo, the price can only go down.
Besides, I doubt I would be doing any really big upgrades in the near future anyway. And as a result the pre-amp outputs wouldn't help me much.
Thanks again for the advice everyone.......Wil

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Sean,
You are probably right then. Everybody was talking about the 595 so much, I assumed that it wasn't just released. As far as me choosing the 494, is it really that bad of a reciever? Sure, I haven't seen it in real life, but I have seen pictures and it looks like a good choice to me.
Why should I not choose this one?......Wil

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Wil,
I don't really know if anything is "wrong" with the 494. Everyone seems to speak quite highly of the 595 and the only big difference between the 595 and the 494, that I can see, is a lower power rating in the 494. I've sent Phil an email in case he doesn't see this topic again inquirying more into the Pioneer 709 and why he thinks it beats out the Onkyo 494. I'm gonna swipe one up probably, it's looking enticing.
As I said before, I don't listen to alot of music (and even when I do I think I'd prefer regular stereo anyway) so DPLII isn't really a big concern for me.
I'm not sure what the choices are at this point for DPLII in that price range other than Onkyo and Kenwood, of which Onkyo is usually looked at more highly (at least on this board).
[Edited last by Sean Laughter on July 11, 2001 at 07:43 PM]

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wil, Oade Bros. only sells over the phone. J&R may sell the Sony DB receiver online, but they do not sell ES models online. Even if the DB receivers are on J&R's web site, you should call for their best price. In fact, J&R rarely posts the prices of Sony products on their web site.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Music is my #1 consern for this system. HT is nice to have #2 on my priority list. That is why I do want DPL II. Hey, if people can find another player that looks better to me than what I'm looking at now, I'll jump on it........Wil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks