What's new

Reciever Brands? (1 Viewer)

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Ok. I know this is probably asked all the time, but please bear with me.
It looks like the first thing on my adgenda is to get a reciever and build it all up from there.
My question is, "What are some good brands that I should look at for Recievers?"
I want to try to keep the price tag to $300 or less, but I will go no higher than $350 if it is worth the money.
Thanks for the help guys......Wil
P.S. A few on line retailers where I should do some price shopping would help me out as well......Wil

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
At that sort of price range, I'd probably look at some of the lower-end Onkyo and Yamaha receivers.
For about $350, here are a couple of candidates:
Yamaha RX-V620 (HTR-5460 at some stores)
100Wpc x 5 (20Hz-20KHz), DD, DTS
Onkyo TX-DS595
75Wpc x 5 (20Hz-20KHz), DD, DTS, DPL II, LucasFilm Re-EQ
Between these two receivers, you'll have to determine which features you'll use the most. Some differences:
1. The Yamaha has component video switching; the Onkyo does not.
2. The Yamaha has a superior DSP (if this matters).
3. The Onkyo has a much better remote (if only the Yamaha wasn't as "busy" and had backlighting like the Onkyo).
Hope that helps.
------------------

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Well, it's a starting point. But now for a couple questions I need to ask because of the answer you gave me. What is component video switching? And what is DSP? The answers to these questions will help me understand the differences listed between the Yamaha and the Onkyo that was just listed.
Please continue other suggestions as well......Wil

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Component Video is another video connection for televisions. Component Video switching means you can hook multiple component video sources up to the receiver and run one video line from the receiver to the TV (kind of like a hi-tech Y-splitter if you want to think of it that way).
DSP's are algorithms that introduce reverb and other effects into sound to increase its "surround" appearance (if it's non-surround to begin with). DPLII is supposed to be better than most DPS's though I've never heard it mind you.
I'm interested in the fact that Nicholas suggested the Onkyo TX-DS595 when you said your absolute max is $350, as I haven't found anywhere that sells the thing for less than at least $380 (not including shipping), at least no place that is authorized anyway (or so they say :) ).
It's rather frustrating because I thought I'd have enough money to get a small surround system here in a few months but it's looking like either I'll be stuck with a HTIB or have to wait another year or so, just because my school's financial aid didn't turn out the way I thought it would
frown.gif

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
For that few dollars more, the 595 is likely the way to go. Don't let $50 be the thing that stops you from getting a better receiver, because it IS worth it. I'd say don't skimp on the receiver because it is the backbone of your system.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm....are there any other suggestions, other than the Yamaha and tha Onkyo that was mentioned earlier? I do want a good selection to choose from, but if that's all I can get for this price range, I'm a little dissapointed.........Wil
smiley_jawdrop.gif

[Edited last by Wil_J on July 10, 2001 at 02:43 PM]

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
Denon 1601 & 1801
Pioneer 810, 710, & 509
If you don't mind a refurbished model with a warranty then check outLink Removed I know they have the Pioneer 709S for $199+shipping. The 709 is a better receiver than the one's listed above, It has Pioneer's MOSFET amps instead of the hybrid ones and better processors and power supply.

JohnRyan

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering the Kenwood VR-507 or VR-509.
------------------
"I've got to get me one of them DVD rewinders!"

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wil, Sony has some very nice receivers in your price range. The STR-DB840 and 'DB940 are from what Sony calls its "Bridge Series" since it bridges the gap between its 'DE' receivers that are sold at Best Buy and Circuit City and its ES (Elevated Series) models, which are Sony's best. The 'DB' receivers are much closer in quality to the ES units than the 'DE' models in terms of build quality, features, and performance. I had the STR-DB930, the predecessor to the 'DB940, and it was a great receiver for the price. Last August, I upgraded to an ES model. The 'DB840 and 'DB940 have been discontinued in favor of the 'DB1070 ($800 at Crutchfield), so you may be able to find them discounted to your price range. Also, the Sony STR-V333ES, 'V444ES, and 'V555ES are being discontinued, so you may be able to find the 'V333ES in your price range as well. When these ES receivers came out last August, Oade Bros. (1-912-228-0093 or 1-912-228-4480) was selling the 'V333ES for $525 when the retail price was $800. So, maybe you can get it at your price now. I would try Oade Bros. or J&R Music World (1-800-221-8180) for Sony receivers. Both are authorized dealers and offer very good prices and customer service. Good luck!
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i also think all the above brands are good choices. my top three would be onkyo (which i have), denon (which may be my next purchase) and yamaha.
onkyo's tend to have better value/performance for the money. but i'd say any of them would perform well.
i think nicolas mentioned that the onkyo doesn't do component switching? i'm not so sure about that...i'd be
very surprised if the onkyo didn't let you swich video sources from the receiver.
dsp's are not that big of a deal. i suspect that most "audiophiles" don't even like/use them. dsp's make you sound like your in a hall, stadium, or church...that kind of stuff. does pro-logic2 counts as a dsp??? i haven't heard it yet so i can't make a call on that.
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
The Onkyo 595 has composite and S-video switching but no component video switching. And the remote is not fully backlighted. Only the device buttons are lighted to let you know what device is currently selected.
A DSP (Digital Signal Processor) is a microchip thats used to process the music/soundtrack signal. A "DSP mode" commonly refers to a simulated surround sound mode available in a receiver or pre-processor. Over the years we've come to expect all sorts of added reverberations and added effects from these "DSP modes" simply because that's what the majority of them did.
ProLogic 2 could be described as a "DSP mode" since the signal is processed. But, like the original ProLogic it doesn't add any extraneous effects to the material. Its just more accurate at steering the signals to the appropriate speakers. And it doesn't limit the bandwidth of the surround signals.
In the $300 range, I'd look at the Onkyo 494, Denon 1601 and discounted (discontinued) Sony DB 840/940 models. And I'd watch the "Hardware For Sale" area for great deals on used stuff. In my limited experience, I've found the HTF folks to be an honest crowd.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ryan -
i must be unclear of what component switching is? is this related to component (3-branch) cables? like the kind used for progressive/hd output?
------------------
You step in the stream,
But the water has moved on.
This page is not here.

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Well now, that's more like it.
Next, I need the names of a few good (and CHEAP) on-line retailers that people would recomend.
Kieth, are those retailers you mentioned on-line sellers?
Thanks guys.......Wil

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
For about $350, here are a couple of candidates...Onkyo 595
Where in the world do you get an Onkyo 595 for $350!?!? I'm planning on buying one and I'd really like to know. (They retail for $500, figure $450 on sale; cheapest I've heard is for $370 + shipping. I'd kill for the 595, with tax and shipping for $350.
Anyhow, hyperbole aside, for $300 (assuming that includes tax / shipping), like others have said:
Onkyo TX-DS484 (on sale, perhaps with the new 494s out)
Onkyo TX-DS494
Kenwood VR 407, 409, 410 (now replaced by 510)
Kenwood VR 507, 509, 510
Technics and Yamaha also have $300 models; Yamaha is generally considered good, don't know about Technics.
And I say, stick to you budget. Following the "Why skimp here, get what I really want" for every component (rcvr, cd, dvd, tv, spkrs) and you've just spent a few thousand more than was in your budget.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Ted,
Yup, that's what I'm talking about.
The 595 has inputs and outputs for both composite video and S-video signal. But no component video signal connections are provided.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Marantz is going to cost a bit more for the same features as most of the brands mentioned, but you will not be disappointed with the sound quality or power output.
MOST of the current generation receivers are being replaced with new models, so you should be able to get a good deal on quite a few. Sony, Denon, Yamaha, Marantz are all coming out with, or already have released, new models.
My personal choice of brands, in order, would be: Marantz, Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Sony, Pioneer for the price range you are looking at. Just my preference.
I would not recommend anything from Kenwood, JVC, Technics.
[Edited last by John Garcia on July 10, 2001 at 05:06 PM]

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
A lot of people here seem to be misinterpreting what component video switching actually is. Of course, the 595 has video switching. It provides composite and s-video switching
Component video refers to a cable connection type, where there are 3 signals, a Y (luminance; blacks and whites) and two C (chrominance; color differences) bands. These provide superior picture quality with TVs capable of handling these signals and are a must for progressive scan DVD and HDTV sources.
Anyway, I guess I was being a little liberal in saying that a TX-DS595 can be had for around $350. But even a $50 price difference isn't significant when you're getting one fine piece of equipment.
Pioneer 810, 710, & 509
The 709 is a fine receiver if you can still find one, but in terms of sound quality, the 710 and 810 are outclassed by several other brands. Onkyo, Yamaha, and Sony (DB and ES models) have much better amps (discrete circuitry) and power transformers. As far as Pioneer's new models go, you really have to step up to an Elite model to get that.
------------------
[Edited last by Nicholas A. Gallegos on July 10, 2001 at 05:08 PM]

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
Dare I say...buy used!
ebay has a couple nice receivers on the autction block. For example, there's a Marantz DD/DTS SR-5000 for $345 and a couple Denon AVR-3300 DD/DTS units going for $350-$400.
If you want to buy new, then the Onkyo TX-DS595, TX-DS575x, and Harman/Kardon AVR-210, AVR-310 should be very high on your list!! Don't settle for less!
------------------
Chuck
Chuckster's HT Equipment List

Wil_J

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, now I'm confused. I think I know what S-video is, Nicholas described what component video is, and so I think I know what that is now (although I've never even heard of or seen it until I got here). But what the heck is composit?! I have no clue what this is, and if it's yet another video signal, I don't have the faintest idea how it relates to the other two types of signals.
And how about some online retailers people? I don't know where to look for these things.........Wil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks