What's new

Receiver shuts off intermittently..... (1 Viewer)

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hi fellow members. Its been AWHILE since my last post.

I just borrowed LOTR:The Twin Towers Extenede edition from a friend and deceided to watch it tonight.

I have never had these problems the last five years and I have not used my HT that much over the last 2 years.

I have a Denon AVR-3300 and when the dvd plays for abit, it automatically shuts down. The "On/Standy" buttoin then blinks red. This button should just be a solid red.

I was having a feeling that too much heat from the receiver caused the automatic shutdown. I put a small fan blowing cool air near the top of receiver and it seemed to help abit. But whenever I wish to turn up the volume, the receiver will just shut down at certain "loud" parts in the movie. Thus I have had to watch the movie with a lower volume. It this odd?

Apparently, the same thing happened when I watched Pirates of the Carribean last week.

Does anyone have any suggestions on whta is going on or how I can fix this problem?

Equipment:
Denon AVR-3300
Panasonic DV-333
Mission 77 series speakers
Velodyne CT-120

Thanks!

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Check for shorted wires at each speaker and at the receiver. Next, hook one speaker at a time to the receiver and try out a problem scene. If the receiver shuts down with just a single speaker, you may have a damaged speaker. If it takes a combination of speakers or only happens with all speakers connected, you may be simply asking too much of this receiver with these speakers.

Do you have specs for the speakers? Are they set to small or large?

Jason_A

Stunt Coordinator
Is it very dusty where your receiver is? If there is dust inside the receiver it might cause overheating problems.

I would get one of those Canned Air things and open the receiver box carefully and delicatly then spray the air can in there.

Jason

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the suggestions. I will try both. It is a little dusty around the area. :b

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
And make sure your receiver has plenty of airflow, and is NOT sitting on carpet, or a similar material which blocks intake at the bottom. The last couple times I responded to threads with shutdown amps/receivers, this was the culprit.

Felix_H

Stunt Coordinator

There was. It was ok before.

My permament solution was to remove anything on top of it.
Problem solved. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks