What's new

Weird PB2-ISD problem... (1 Viewer)

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
I was listening to some music today (Motley Crue's 1997 version of Shout At The Devil) and I noticed the bass didn't sound right. It sounded like it was cutting off and on at random. I went over to the subwoofer and sure enough the bass was intermittently cutting out. For lack of a better term, it sounded like it was farting air through the ports when it would cut out. Now I'm in a panic, as this subwoofer was a major purchase for me, both for financial and waf reasons, not to mention I have had it for only a month and a half.

So I tried a few things...

1.) Thinking maybe the cd was bad I tried a different Cd. Still had problem.
2.) Tried playing a movie. Still had problem. Btw I play cds and dvds throught the same dvd player.
3.) I switched to the tuner and tried playing FM music. Still had same problem.
4.) Shut off receiver (HK AVR-525) and subwoofer and turned both back on. Still had problem.
5.) Moved cable from one sub input to the other. Still had problem.
6.) Now, these next 2 things I did at the same time. I changed the subs auto/on switch from auto to on and changed the bypass filter to off. Now the problem seems to have gone away, and after testing it with different material I put the switches back the way I had them and it still seems fine. So I guess maybe something got "stuck" in the sub amp possibly? And by changing the switches might have made it ok? Because it sounds fine now, although I am still worried.

One last thing, something I should have thought of before I guess, but do you have to register the sub to get warranty support? I didn't see anything in the user manual or on the web site regarding this.

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Ok before when I thought I "fixed" the sub by moving the switches I never tried the Motley Crue song again that started this whole mess. Well, I tried it again, and again it made the sub cut in and out. This is too freaking weird. I shut the song off right away, as opposed to last time when it played for minute or so while I tried to figure out what was wrong, and tried other cds and the radio and they work fine without having to move the switches this time unlike last time. However now I am begining to wonder if moving the switches really did any thing at all to correct the problem, or maybe i just had to wait a few minutes after playing that song for everything to be ok. Is it possible for a song to mess up the sub/sub amp and then for it to "fix" itself when not playing the song? Or by moving the subsonic filter switch? I'm so confused I don't know what to do or if there is a problem with the sub or just that one cd. I know one thing I am never playing that song an my system again!

If anyone wants to try this for themselves it is the song called "Shout At The Devil 97" on Motley Crue's "Generation Swine" cd.

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Dave,

Sounds like your amp might be having an issue. The PB12-ISD/2 amps (new name for this sub) are VERY reliable, but not infallible.

Drop us an e-mail amd we'll prepare to look a tick deeper with you, and see if a quick "ampendectomy" (easy, about 10 min with a screwdriver) is something you would like to do.

PS I might have missed it, but please put in a totally DIFFERENT cable too. Cables go bad in our experience, often.

Ron

Send a note to [email protected] and CC to [email protected]

David Ruggiero

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I just emailed SVS. I was hesitant at first to do so because I am not sure if there was a problem or not and I didn't want to waste your time. But thank you for the quick response. I appreciate it.

Sam A

Stunt Coordinator
"I didn't want to waste your time"

david, its either you waste their time, or you waste your money. minus the fact that SVS has wonderful subs, what really helps is the fact that they arent a "thanks for the money, who are you?" kind of company, they want to make sure your sub works the way it should. because they arent brick and mortar, all advertizing is word of mouth or someone listening to someone else'd sub. so if a freind wanted an SVS an heard yours screw up, you think they would buy an SVS? nah . that is why Rom, Tom and the whole SVS crew want to make sure they follow through with all of their subs. dont worry about wasting their time, its their job. and they love it, im sure :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks