What's new

Pioneer VSX-1014 shuts off intermittently (1 Viewer)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
I have had this receiver since it came out with no problems. I have it in an entertainment center with the entire back exposed for ventilation. In the last 2 days, for no reason, the thing shuts off during playback. Its not immediate, maybe after 30 minutes or so. I plug it back in the first time and it came back up except all settings were erased, mcacc, everything.

Today, using a different source it did it again. Both were optical sources. This time, it did not come back up right away. Awhile later, I plugged it in and it turned on with the settings erased again. I looked at the speaker connections and didn't notice anything touching. The unit was not hot when it shut off. I don't get it, if it was a short the thing should go off right away. The fact that it plays for some time before going dead is really weird.

edit: I just tried it again, the receiver stayed on but was frozen when I let it go for an hour. It would no respond to power off either by remote or on the unit, I had to unplug it.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, I had one of my rear speaker tip over a few weeks ago. I checked the back of that speaker and the wire was loose. Could that cause this? The speaker works fine, really didnt take a huge hit. My kid tipped it over. Its a swan diva 2.1, built like a tank.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
It's possible the loose wire could be the cause, if it was touching the other wire. But it doesn't sound like the cause of all the things you mentioned, like the 1014 freezing. Have you tried resetting it? The procedure should be somewhere in the manual.I also have Swan 2.1's. Great speaker for the price.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
I have not reset it however whenever it shuts down, it is completely wiped out (just like a reset)

That is a weird symptom. I have never seen a short do that. Even overheating wouldn't do that.

LewB

Screenwriter
Real SWAG here:
I believe that the settings are kept 'alive' by a capacitor that keeps power applied to the chip that has the settings in it's memory. Maybe there is a problem in that area when the receiver heats up (cap shorts out?)
Again, this is a total guess.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator

Right so it is very unlikely that a lose speaker wire (on the speaker itself) is the problem. Now the receiver is in an entertainment center with a shelf on top but

a: It has never done this
b: It is now frequent
c: the entire receiver is exposed (I cut the back out of the entertainment center so it literally hangs out some)

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Hate to bump this but it is still an issue. I just discovered one of my speakers out of 7 is 4 ohms. It had never mattered before but still worth noting what speakers I have: 2 X Swans 5.1PF TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS System series : Home Theatre series System Description : 4th-order 3-way vented-box system Frequency Response : 47Hz-20kHz Sensitivity (2.83V, 1m) : 90dB Nominal impedance : 8Ω Power Handling : 10-200W Finish Cabinet : Rosewood / Piano Lacquer Dimensions : 253×331×1220 mm Net Weight : 28.6kg DRIVER UNITS Tweeter : TN28 Midrange : 2"(DMN) Woofer : 2×6"(M6N) 1 XSwans C3P TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS System series : Home Theatre series System Description : 2nd-order,3-way,sealed-box system Frequency Response : 55Hz-20kHz Sensitivity (2.83V, 1m) : 89dB Nominal impedance : 8Ω Power Handling : 10-150W Cabinet Finish : Dark Walnut Piano Lacquer Dimensions : 582x255x264 mm Net Weight : 15kg DRIVER UNITS Midrange : TM1 Woofer : 2x6"(M6N) 4X Swans 2.1 TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS System series : Hi-End Speaker systems System Description : 4th-order 2-way vented-box system Frequency Response : 50Hz-20kHz Sensitivity (2.83V, 1m) : 88dB Nominal impedance : 8Ω Power Handling : 10-80W Finish Cabinet : Rosewood / Piano Lacquer Dimensions : 253×331×396 mm Net Weight : 11.7kg DRIVER UNITS Tweeter : TN28 Woofer : 6"(M6N) Does the Sub matter? VTF-3 MK 2 Amp Peak/Short-term Power 1400 Amp Power (RMS) 350 Frequency Response (maxiumum extension mode) 18 Hz Frequency Response (maxiumum output mode) 22 Hz Woofer Size 12 Inches Crossover Bypassable 24 dB/Oct , continuously variable 30 - 90 Hz low pass filter Phase 0/180° Dimensions 22"(h) X 15" (w) X 23" (d) Outlet Power Requirement 435 Watts

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
You could always disconnect the 4 ohm speaker (and turn the channel off in the speaker setup menu) to see if it was the problem. Same with the sub. All the speakers, one at a time for that matter. Otherwise, a call/e-mail to Pioneer CSR might help. If the CSR seems clueless, which will most likely be the case, ask him/her if they could run it by one of the engineers and e-mail the answer to you. I've done this in the past.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I was wrong about the 4 ohm speakerm its 8. The stats on the webpage was wrong. I see there is a fix by doing Enter + Video2 for 2 seconds but I am trying to find out exactly what that does and If it would even help me at all.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a VSX-1014 owner, I'm going to follow this one closely. The only thing I can think of is dust build up inside the receiver. It doesn't take much. I had a little on the air filter of my sub amp but it was enough to restrict the flow of air over the heat-sink. Three seconds with the vaccuum cleaner and it went from very hot with periodic shut downs to barely warm.

My 1014 does have an annoying issue. When watching at high volumes, it will shut down on a sudden, loud noise like a gun shot. I think the voltage to my house is barely adequate to get the job done. When I crank music, the UPS's that keep my DVR's running during black-outs will start to beep. I'm going to move the receiver to my 20amp outlet to see if that helps.

john_FE

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah Im not sure If this is the same issue but I got some banana plugs and I think I will open it up to see If there is dust in there, Its way out of warranty so... Doesnt look like anyone had any issue disabling that protection but I have kids and dont need them getting shocked and what not, Then again, I dont want to throw out a good receiver because its tripping itself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
linda19798888
Recent bookmarks