1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Curious about a "ticking" noise coming from my receiver

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by PaulDA, Sep 11, 2004.

1. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I have an Integra DTR 6.4. I came across a forum that mentions a "ticking problem" after I bought it. I had one incident of a strange digital feedback noise that I believe was caused by a faulty connection. Since setting up in my new house (for about two weeks now) I haven't had that issue. However, I do notice, every once in a while, a random noise, a kind of "spak" sound that seems to emanate from the receiver itself. Not the speakers. It sounds a lot like a TV sometimes does when you shut it down and it's "cooling off". It's not loud, it's only one "tick" at a time--not a series--and it doesn't come from a speaker, but rather the receiver itself. I did notice that the power cord doesn't slot in as tightly in back of the receiver as other cords do in my sub and DVD player, for example. Could an imperfect connection at the power cord cause this intermittent noise? Could this be the "infamous" ticking noise often mentioned regarding Onkyo/Integra receivers in various threads across websites? Has anyone noticed this before? Is it normal? (My old receiver was in an enclosed cabinet and may have been making the same kind of noise, but I wouldn't have heard it.)

Any comments would be appreciated as I'd like to use the system without getting paranoid about little noises.

P.S., I've checked all my connections and, except for the noted looseness at the power cord (very slight), all connections are proper.

2. StephenL

StephenL Second Unit

No, the infamous ticking noise comes from the speakers. My Onkyo TX-DS898 makes a noise like you described. I suspect it's something expanding or contracting inside the receiver due to temperature changes, or a relay.

3. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    My Kenwood reciever and a 70's kenwood amp i have does this.

I think Its most likely from the amplifier section itself switching on. On the Receiver, whenever i switch audio modes on the receiver, or turn off/on speakers a/b, or picks up a new audio stream on a DVD (switching from DD to DTS, etc) it makes the sound.

On my vintage amp, it does this on startup as it warms up, then TICKS when its fully warmed up and powered.

4. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul

I guess I have the same question for you as for Steve. Do you just ignore this problem? Is it random? How frequent is it?

Thanks to both of you for the replies.

5. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    It is not random, it happens everytime i switch on my amp/reciever, and every time i switch audio modes or turn off/on speaker (like between A and B).

I ignore it, as its normal (for my components). If yours is indeed the same sound as what i hear, then i would ignore it too. but im not sure if its the same thing

6. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Paul, if it helps any:

My Technics SA-DA8 receiver has produced easily-heard ticking/high-pitched metal creaking noises all the time ever since I bought it. I assume it's coming from the metal cabinet* readjusting itself as the power amp section heats up (Technics/Panasonic analog amps have always run hot as heck) and the rate of these irregularly-occurring noises seems to increase temporarily when I turn on the ceiling fan. The receiver sits in the open, on top of my equipment cabinet.

It's 3+ years old now, is on at least six hours per day/every day & still works perfectly.

* the cabinet is steel but the front panel is made of aluminum--maybe the different expansion rates of these dissimilar metals contributes to the noises?

7. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    My receiver also sits in the open, with plenty of air around it. I believe my metal cabinet is made like yours (I'll investigate further). It hasn't affected the sound quality of any playback, it's just damned annoying during a quiet passage in a movie or piece of music (esp. classical or jazz). I suppose I'll learn to ignore it, like all the myriad noises of modern life, so long as it isn't something that is damaging the receiver. Glad to see (and sorry, too) I'm not the only one with this problem and that it doesn't seem a serious one.

8. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Just to clarify: the noises happen only about every twenty minutes or so & I can only hear them when no music is playing or its playing softly.

9. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    LanceJ,

Sounds more and more like what I'm experiencing. I looked at my receiver's cabinet and the front faceplate appears to be made of plastic. If it doesn't get any worse, I'll ignore it. My next upgrade (not for several years, I hope) will be for separates, and I will be sure to enquire as to build quality so this issue doesn't arise then. Thanks for the replies, all of you. I feel a bit less paranoid.

10. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I've continued to monitor the "ticking" situation and have discovered a pattern, I think. When using the "Pure Audio" mode, no ticking seems to occur. This would seem to eliminate temperature changes/expansion/contraction as the amps put out the same amount of heat as when not in "Pure Audio". I believe the noise is generated by either the video switching (I have a lot going on in that regard, a cable box, two DVD players, an S-VHS player), some of the DSPs or a combination of the two. I've been too lazy to reconfigure all my video inputs and connections yet, but I'll get around to it eventually. I haven't noticed any noise when using the multichannel inputs AND applying BM/TA via DSP on my hi-res SACDs or DVD-As. This leads me to think the video switching is the culprit.

Any thoughts?

11. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Further update:

I've disconnected all video sources from the receiver and the ticking noise remains, with DD and DTS via DVD-V, though it is diminished in volume. I will conduct further tests to see if it is a problem with any other DSP processing native to the receiver (as separate from information encoded in the disc or broadcast from my PVR). I guess it's a characteristic of the chipset the receiver has and would be inaudible in a larger room (farther from my seating position) and/or in an enclosed cabinet or separate room/closet (a route I might explore in the future, but is not an option until after the holidays). I'm disappointed in this situation, though it's not a fatal one. It simply means that come upgrade time, when I thought I'd add outboard amplification and keep the receiver as a pre/pro, I'll replace the unit entirely, either with another receiver, or more likely separates.

12. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Paul,

As a test, you could change the impedence to 4 ohms on the speaker settings. This will cause the receiver to run much cooler.

Because of the large temperature difference between the 6 and 4 ohm settings, if the sound is caused by heat, that will definately make a difference.

I have a TX-NR801 Onkyo that I'm using as a preamp (set to 4 ohms) and I haven't noticed the sound.

13. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    I don't think I have a switch for 4 ohm setting (my receiver is based on the 701) but I'll look into it.

14. Bob_Hitson

Bob_Hitson Agent

Bob
    Paul,

I see what you mean. I checked out the owners manual for the 6.4 and it just says to not use any speakers that drop below 6 ohms.

That's not good :-(

15. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

No chance you pissed off your wife or girlfriend?

16. PaulDA

PaulDA Cinematographer

Paul
    Oh, I'm sure I've done that, once or twice [​IMG] , but I doubt she'd do anything to the gear, as she paid for all of it (we're a one income family with a stay at home parent, only I'm the one who deals with diapers, housework and meals while she's off climbing the corporate ladder). And no, I don't own any cats.[​IMG]