What's new

Receiver in the $250 range - Pick from shortlist (1 Viewer)

RobSB

Agent
Ok, I have decided to go with the Fluance SX-HTB and the Dayton 10" subwoofer. Here is my shortlist of receivers to pair them with:

Onkyo TX-SR501
Pioneer VSX-D812K (Maybe 912K but that stretches the budget)
H/K AVR-225 (There have been many positive things said about this but I don't know its refurbed and it seems to missing out on some key features.. Are they just gimmicks?)

The room is 15x25 and the system is 99% for home theater. Quick answers are appreciated. My parents are in a good mood and I would like to buy this tonight. ;) Thanks.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Out of those, I'd get the H/K. Refurb still has a warranty. Second choice would be the Onkyo, then the Pio.

Jon Torres

Second Unit
I think I saw someone mention they picked up the Denon 1604 for the 1603 price of $245 from 6ave.com.

ChrisLazarko

Supporting Actor
I have the AVR-225 but bought it new... great reciever. Harman honors there warranty very well and on there refurb products still offer the normal full warranty.

When you think about a refurbished product it doesn't necessarily mean it is a broken product but simply that a person who bought it returned it and possibly didn't like the looks, it didn't fit, or they didn't like it (which is the majority of them)... I wouldn't worry about the refurb... take the HK you'll be happy. It not then the Onkyo would be my next choice.

John S

Senior HTF Member
The features that make the Onkyo attractive are 6 amps, 6.1 processing, and component video switching.

I think the H/K and the Onkyo will have more the sound you crave in general though.

SeanV

Stunt Coordinator
When you think about a refurbished product it doesn't necessarily mean it is a broken product but simply that a person who bought it returned it and possibly didn't like the looks, it didn't fit, or they didn't like it
I thought that this described "open box" items and refurbished actually referred to damaged items that were repaired to factory specs.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Yes, refurbs had a problem and were repaired. Not my first choice, but as long as it has a decent factory warranty, it should be OK.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I'd be sure to testdrive the Onkyo 501. Higher bandwidth component switching than the others. I just helped a friend chose it over the Pioneer 812.

I also agree with the onkyo 501,i own it and it's easily the best reciever i have ever owned. Even better than the pioneer vsx-d811s which was rated at 74 watts at 6 channels driven. Also, it has a crossover that is adjustable down to 60hz which none of them have in that price range except for the new harman kardon's. I don't regret buying it at all even if i did want the 601.

GarAlb

Stunt Coordinator
Brand new Denon AVR-1604 at 6ave.com for $245.06 delivered. Just order the AVR-1603 and they will automatically upgade you to the AVR-1604 :D.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks