Receiver in the $250 range - Pick from shortlist

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by RobSB, Dec 15, 2003.

1. RobSB

RobSB Agent

Ok, I have decided to go with the Fluance SX-HTB and the Dayton 10" subwoofer. Here is my shortlist of receivers to pair them with:

Onkyo TX-SR501
    Pioneer VSX-D812K (Maybe 912K but that stretches the budget)
    H/K AVR-225 (There have been many positive things said about this but I don't know its refurbed and it seems to missing out on some key features.. Are they just gimmicks?)

The room is 15x25 and the system is 99% for home theater. Quick answers are appreciated. My parents are in a good mood and I would like to buy this tonight. [​IMG] Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Out of those, I'd get the H/K. Refurb still has a warranty. Second choice would be the Onkyo, then the Pio.

3. Jon Torres

Jon Torres Second Unit

I think I saw someone mention they picked up the Denon 1604 for the 1603 price of $245 from 6ave.com.

4. Joseph Shaw

Joseph Shaw Stunt Coordinator

Onkyo TX-SR501. I'm very happy with mine.

5. Thomas Nichols

Thomas Nichols Stunt Coordinator

I have an AVR125 and love it. I don't think you would be disappointed with any of the receivers you list.

6. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I have the AVR-225 but bought it new... great reciever. Harman honors there warranty very well and on there refurb products still offer the normal full warranty.

When you think about a refurbished product it doesn't necessarily mean it is a broken product but simply that a person who bought it returned it and possibly didn't like the looks, it didn't fit, or they didn't like it (which is the majority of them)... I wouldn't worry about the refurb... take the HK you'll be happy. It not then the Onkyo would be my next choice.

7. John S

John S Producer

The features that make the Onkyo attractive are 6 amps, 6.1 processing, and component video switching.

I think the H/K and the Onkyo will have more the sound you crave in general though.

8. SeanV

SeanV Stunt Coordinator

9. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Yes, refurbs had a problem and were repaired. Not my first choice, but as long as it has a decent factory warranty, it should be OK.

10. justin_troness

There is a Denon AVR-1803 at ecost for like $229.00 which is a very good price for it, you might want to check that out too.

11. BobJ

BobJ Stunt Coordinator

I'd be sure to testdrive the Onkyo 501. Higher bandwidth component switching than the others. I just helped a friend chose it over the Pioneer 812.

12. justin_troness

I also agree with the onkyo 501,i own it and it's easily the best reciever i have ever owned. Even better than the pioneer vsx-d811s which was rated at 74 watts at 6 channels driven. Also, it has a crossover that is adjustable down to 60hz which none of them have in that price range except for the new harman kardon's. I don't regret buying it at all even if i did want the 601.

13. GarAlb

GarAlb Stunt Coordinator

Brand new Denon AVR-1604 at 6ave.com for $245.06 delivered. Just order the AVR-1603 and they will automatically upgade you to the AVR-1604 [​IMG].