Consumer Reports :Receiver Tests

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Bill Will, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

From the NEW November Issue. I am just posting these so you can see how they rated the receivers so please no comments on how bad their reports are on electronics, I know. Thank You.

1. Onkyo TX-SR701
    2. Panasonic SA-HE100 (A BEST BUY)
    3. H/K AVR325
    4. Sony STR-DE995 (STR-DE895)
    5. Yamaha RX-V740 (RX-V640)
    6. Denon AVR-2803
    7. Yamaha RX-V440 (RX-V540)
    8. Kenwood VR-7070
    9. Onkyo TX-SR501 (TX-SR601)
    10. Pioneer VSX-D912-K (VSX-D712-K, VSX-D812-K)
    11. Panasonic SA-HE75
    12. JVC RX-8030VBK (RX-7030VBK)
    13. Pioneer VSX-D412-K
    14. JVC RX-6030VBK
    15. Sony STR-DE595 (STR-DE695)
    16. Panasonic SA-XR45 (SA-XR25)
    17. Kenwood VR-705 (VR-707)

"QUICK PICK" Numbers:
    2, 4, 5, 7, 9 & 10

The full report will be posted on their website at www.ConsumerReports.org but it isn't up yet.

Go to the bottom of the page and enter the code in the "CRXTRA" box.

CODES:
    Receiver Code: 1102
    Speaker Code: 1101
    HTB Code: 1103
    Digital Camera: 1106

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Stunt Coordinator

That makes me feel good about just ordering the H/K 325 [​IMG]
    Mike Allen

3. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Thanks for publishing this information. I'm looking forward to reading the information when CR puts it on their Web site. [​IMG]

4. AndrewErickson

AndrewErickson Stunt Coordinator

I subscribe and I really don't put much stock into their reviews of electronics or automobiles. They seem quite subjective in both and are especially biased against the American car manufacturers.

BTW, I own the H/K 325 and have a hard time believing that the Panasonic above it at #2 is any better.

5. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Stunt Coordinator

No one said it was scientific or even somewhat accurate....In fact he illuded that it probably wasn't. I guess you missed the part where he said "so please no comments on how bad their reports are on electronics, I know." [​IMG]
    Mike Allen

6. Drew_W

Drew_W Screenwriter

I'm not sure exactly how they are rating these receivers, and while perhaps interesting reading, I'd take these "reviews" with a grain of salt. What this forum offers you far surpasses Consumer Reports.

The Panasonic (for $300 or whatever) that beats the Denon 2803 and H/K 325 is quite funny though. Talk about comparing apples and oranges.

7. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I don't agree with their tests either as pointed out above. But I do think that they take into account the price of the receiver & maybe that's why the Panasonic got such a high rating? They also rated "ALL" the receivers for Sound Quality as "Very Good" except for the JVC 8030 which they rated as only "GOOD" Go figure because they rated the JVC 6030 as "Very Good? They also screwed up by saying that the Panasonic 100 is a 5.1 receiver (It's a 6.1 Receiver) & to make matters worse they then went & gave it a "Quick Pick" as the BEST 5.1 Receiver. That really made me wonder if they know what they are doing because all they had to do was look at the back of the Panasonic 100 & see the rear center speaker connections. Maybe they looked at the back of the 75 thinking it was the 100 [​IMG] But it makes you wonder if they even hooked up the Surround Back Channels on the receivers when they did their testing.

8. SeanA

SeanA Second Unit

9. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

10. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

CR rated their receivers' wattage based on two-channel driven at once, not all five, six or seven channels driven simultaneously -- as in home theater applications. That's why the H/K is rated lower than the Panasonic in term of wattage. As one member stated above, CR tends to give more values to the features, ease of use functions and cost. The Panasonic receiver always rated high every year due to the "help" button function. This function is good for beginners, but most of us are enthusiasts -- the help function is redundant. I had a Panasonic receiver w/my first home theather receiver; I never had to use the help function.

11. Harold Wazzu

Harold Wazzu Supporting Actor

Well my pioneer vsx-d912k is good enough for me, I can't believe they ranked that sony at #4