HK AVR-325 or Onkyo TX-SR601 for Fluance SX-HTB?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JeffBen, Jan 22, 2004.

1. JeffBen

JeffBen Auditioning

I am just getting into HT since the purchase of my new house. I am trying to keep the costs down and still learning about HT. I have received my Fluance SX-HTB paired with 2 Fluance AV-BP2(bipoles) for the rears.

2 weeks ago I ordered the Onkyo TX-SR601(refurb) for $345(inc. shipping) from ecost.com and then my order got cancelled, due to no avail. I went searching again and found a used HK AVR-325 for $390(inc. shipping). The HK is on it's way.

Today I see the Onkyo TX-SR601 is back in stock. The main difference in specs are the watts and 6.1/7.1 support:

Onkyo TX-SR601 (6.1):
    85 watts x 6 at 0.08% THD

HK AVR-325 (7.1):
    50 watts x 7 at 0.07% THD

Since I am still a newbie to these things, from what I see the Onkyo can push more watts with a slight higher distortion. Possibly my speakers will never request more then 50 watts, but I am also thinking about future upgrades. 7.1 over 6.1 doesn't really matter to me right now.

Is purchasing the HK AVR-325 over the Onkyo TX-SR601 a wise choice for now and into the future?

2. John S

John S Producer

The HK is every bit as powerful as that Onkyo, maybe even a lttle more so.

With that said, you have a nice receiever on the way, I would just let it ride if I were you.

3. JeffBen

JeffBen Auditioning

Thanks, just needed some re-assurance. I should be getting the receiver Monday or Tuesday.

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I'm with John, stick with the HK & I also think the HK will be a better match up with the Fluance Speakers.

5. kevin tate

kevin tate Stunt Coordinator

HomeCinemaChoice tested the next Onkyo model up (TX-SR701), and it produced 50 watts per channel when all 5 channels are driven simultaneously, so the Onkyo 601 should be less than 50 wpc when driven simultaneoulsy. H/K has an independent review on their site, which the H/K 325 produced 74 wpc when all channels are driven simultaneously. You made the right choice.

See the following links:
    http://www.homecinemachoice.com/testbench/
    (you'll have to search for the onkyo 701)

http://manuals.harman.com/hk/Product...5%20Review.pdf

6. JeffBen

JeffBen Auditioning

Thanks for the links! I am getting excited to hook everything up now. The tricky part is running the speaker wire.