What's new

Receiver Help (1 Viewer)

Pat_C

Agent
First, let me say this is a great site with great posters. I've learned a lot from here over the past couple of days.

I'm looking for a receiver in the $300 range, which I'll use with my 53' Hitachi HDTV. I orginally planned on getting the Bose AMS16 to go with it, but after researching Bose on this board, I am going to audition Klipsch and Paradigm (if I can find some).

The Onkyo TX-SR501 caught my eye and is within my price range. I plan on using in conjunction with the TV to mainly watch DVDs in a small living room of a condo. Will this Onkyo be a good addition?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Onkyo is a great value brand, it offer a lot of options for low prices. And with Klipsch (very effiecent speakers) I dont think you will have a problem. But there are more things that you have to consider, like room dimmensions, maybe this onkyo could move the speakers well in small-medium size room. And most important to me, audition, in my personal preference, I dont like the sound of Onkyo and Klipsch, but thats me, you have to go and audtion as much as possible and decide if you like the outcome of your setup. I think Klipsch is a very up froward and bright speaker and could mate better with Marantz or Harman Kardon, but thats my opinion, go and audition and make up your mind by yourself, because you will the only one that will have to live with your descition, so use this forum as a guide, but let your ears make the final descition.

Good luck with your choice,
Pablo

RonJon

Auditioning
If you are interested in the Onkyo 501, you may want to look at the Onkyo HTR510. It is essentially the same as the TSX601...some differences with the power ratings, other then that, tough to tell the difference.

There are some good deals out there on speakers.
Buy.com has Pinnacle AC 650's for $118/delivered 2nd day.
They also have Wharfdale Diamond 7.2's for $79.00 delivered.

Ecost.com has Onkyo receivers on and off at some fantastic pricing. Also, you may want to check out Onkyo's website. There are always debates about refurb models. Fact is you can get a great receiver at a great price with the full manufacturers warranty so you may want to go that route for the Onkyo.

RonJon

Auditioning
Hello Moderator!

I apologize for misplacing this post. I meant for it to go in the HT Basics forum. There was a topic titled Digital Cable Box or similar and that is where it should have gone.
Sorry.
Thanks,RonJon

I too went to the Comcast office to get an upgraded digital converter box. I specifically requested one with S-VHS and digital coax/optical out. The woman went back and returned with a brand new Motorola DCT2000 complete with the S-VHS out and a coax digitial out...in addition to the composite outs for audio/video.

I put it to the test last night as Blue Crush was being broadcast by Comcast in DD5.1 and the menu indicated that.

I have a coax cable going into my Onkyo HTR510 from the cable box as well as the composite audio cables. I tried unplugging the composites to see if the digital coax would 'take over'. It did not. I tried setting the reciever to process the digital Comcast signal, it would not...only would read and display Analog! Can someone crack this code???

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks