What's new

Receiver Audio Problems (1 Viewer)

Adam Smittkamp

Auditioning
I recently purchased an Onkyo 5 DVD changer (DVCP-500). Now, when audio is run through my JVC RX884-V receiver, via the optical cable, the audio cuts out once for about 3 seconds after about 1/2 hour of use. After this happens, the sound quality changes, and voices and such becomed "gargled". Also, audio doesn't come on immediately when starting a new scene, when a new scene is selected. The receiver is an early '99 model. I was told that the problem may be that the receiver may need a software upgrade, and that many newer DVD players don't always work properly with "older" equipment. The receiver has worked flawlessly since purchased, especially with my previous DVD players. I know it's not the DVD player; this is the second new unit I've tried. Any help is appreciated!

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Adam, do you run it with the volume cranked to excessive levels? If so, the receiver's protection circuits may be kicking in. (How warm is the receiver after a typical session?)

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Hmmm audio dropout.

This is a phenomenon that is not documented and admitted by by manufacturers as much as I would like to see.

In most cases, the dropouts are caused by the optical or coaxial digital cable. However, I have personally seen cases where a combination of a certain model of DVD player and a certain model of receiver exhibits the dropout problem. The funny thing is, if you use that same DVD player with a different type of receiver, there are no dropout problems and similarly, if you use that same receiver with another type of dvd player there are no dropouts either. This was the case with some older Toshiba DVD players used in conjuction with certain Sony receivers.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
my guess is the receiver...

since you don't think it's the dvd player (which i agree) then maybe we can at least test the cabling.

have you tried using a different optical cable? how about using a coax instead? if you're just concerned about the audio, then you could even try using the component connections?

if you still experience the problem, then you'll know for sure it's the receiver.

Adam Smittkamp

Auditioning
First of all, thanks to all that replied. I did try to upgrade the optical cable when this problem started, but nothing seemed to change, especially the audio delay when selecting scenes. As I may have said before, when a scene is selected, the picture comes on instanly, like it should, but the audio takes about 3 or 4 seconds to kick in. The other problem is that after playing the disc for any length of time, the audio will cut out for about 2-3 seconds. After this, audio will be distorted for the rest of the disc, with voices having a very noticeable gargled effect. Maybe these two things aren't related. Is it possible that the scene / audio problem is just characteristic of the player? I am also sure that it is not a problem with the disc, since I have tried other discs; all of them in perfect shape. I have also always kept the volume at very low levels. Should I try running the audio via the coax instead of the optical cable? Is one better than the other? Would you not tend to think that this is a receiver software problem? Should I be in the market for a receiver? And lastly, is there anyone interested in a JVC receiver?!?

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
even if it is a software problem, is there anything you can do about it? does your receiver accept software upgrades? if so you'll probably have one of those rs-232 (?) ports in the back.

people often argue about the difference between coax and optical, but for all intensive purposes, they're similar enough that you probably won't notice a difference.

it certainly won't hurt to try switching cabling. i wonder if both types of connections lead to the same "stuff" inside the receiver? that i dunno...

finally, you can always pick up a new receiver and test it out. just make sure you can return it later! ;)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i own onkyo gear (cd and receiver) and love it. i really feel onkyo gives you a good balance of features, performance and price.

i would have no hesitation recommending them.

other similar brands you should check out include (in no particular order): denon, yamaha, harmon kardon, and outlaw (www.outlawaudio.com).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks