What's new

Received my RX-V2500 (Yamaha) - Question (1 Viewer)

Shane J

Stunt Coordinator
I am pretty new to the realm of home theater.

I have finally bought and pieced everything together for my 5.1 setup.

My new receiver (Yamaha RX-V2500) has probably DOZENS of settings for surround sound...dolby dts, dolby digital, dolby prologic, dolby prologic II, dolby prologic IIx...etc....

My questions is fairly simple.....what setting do I use to listen to DVDs or games?

Do I look to see what the DVD was recorded in and then use that setting on my receiver?

John S

Senior HTF Member
It will auto detect modes, but experimentation with modes that are not auto-detected will be in order too.

If the DVD has DTS you should select it from the title disc menu.

Steve_L

Stunt Coordinator
Auto Detect is important to find for convenience sake. So learn how to do that.

In many cases, DVDs (maybe games I don't know) will give you a choice of DD5.1 (Digital Dolby 5.1) or DTS. They are both 5 channel plus sub-woofer soundtracks, and most of us here lean toward DTS as the preference.

The others are synthesis of two channels to more channels. I use PLiix for stereo sources, play with them and see what you like.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Some dvd titles will even give you 2 channel by default and you must select DD 5.1 from the title disc menu. Some DVD's don't even have 5.1 though in all honesty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks