Yamaha RX V2500 Question (1 Viewer)

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Just got the Yamaha RX V2500. It's my first Yamaha product, and my first component video switching receiver. So far, I am blown away by the features of this unit. I know its been on the market for awhile, but as they say, "its new to me!" After logging quite a few hours getting acquainted with the box, I am still unable to resolve one problem.

The OSD [I think they refer to it as the "short message"] will not show on-screen when there is a source signal present. For instance, if I select DVD the unit properly switches to the DVD input. If the DVD player is not switched on, I can adjust the volume of the RX V2500 and see the volume indication at the bottom of my screen. Ditto when I make other selections. When I switch the DVD player on and do the same thing, I do not see anything. I have tried several inputs and they all behave identically. I have component conversion set to on, and "short message" is also set to on. The GUI works fine on all inputs as does the wallpaper.

Anyone know what might be going on, or is this just an "undocumented feature" of the RX V2500.

Thanks for reading...

John

Jongyoon Lee

Stunt Coordinator
From page 62 of the manual:

The short message display may not display properly depending on the type of input signal and video monitor used.

I don't think it can get any more vague than that. ;) If I have to venture a guess, there seems to be a conflict between OSD overlaying logic and upconverting logic. Many of the older models can't even display OSD on component output.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Give the man a prize!!! You're absolutely right. I didn't even refer back to the manual since it's a painful read, even for tech fare. I guess after packing all of these features into this unit, the Q/A guys just got tired and slacked off on their testing. Oh well, still a great receiver.

Thanks for your reply. And thank for not calling me Francis. ;)

John

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks