Rebuild an existing sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Daniel T, Mar 10, 2002.

1. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

I have an Infinity BU2 sub that I have never been happy with. I was thinking about rebuilding the sub to make it a front firing sub instead of a down firing sub. What is the best way to findout the specs on the driver that is in the enclosure? Can anyone respond on the pros and cons on a down firing sub as compared to a front firing sub? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dustin B

Dustin B Producer

Basically there aren't any pros and cons, there really isn't a difference in sound between a downfiring and front firing sub. With the possible exception of a down firing sub that doesn't provide long enough legs.

3. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Daniel,

This would be a futile project. If you aren’t happy with the sub now, moving the driver to a different panel in the enclosure won’t make you happy with it.

If you’re serious about this it would require replacing the current driver with a better-performing one. And perhaps getting a more powerful amp.

You didn't say why you're unhappy with the sub. Perhaps it only needs some equalization.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

4. Daniel T

Daniel T Stunt Coordinator

Wayne,

I am unhappy with the sub because I find it to be a little boomy. I have an Axiom EP125 sub that to me is more accurate. Based on your comment I probably will try and sell the sub and get some money out of it.