What's new
World Wide Stereo

Rear surround on my Yamaha rx-v2500 (1 Viewer)

RussPang

Auditioning
I just received the THX demo disk and am setting up my speakers.

I have a 5.1 speaker setup. On my Yamaha rx-v2500 I have my rear speakers in the rear surround slots and don't get any sound from them. When I plug them into the "surround" slots I get sound.

I have the receiver set on THX. Why would I not get sound from the rears?

728x90

RussPang

Auditioning
So does that mean that the "surround" posts are actually "rear" for 5.1?

In other words, if I had speakers hooked into the surround posts, I would get sound from the rears?

Brett Mihans

Auditioning
Russ,
I have the 2500, and have it set up for 5.1 using the "surround" posts. The rears are for rear surround speakers to make a 7.1 set up. Have you run YPAO set up on your 2500?

RussPang

Auditioning
What is YPAO setup and how do I do it?

I ordered the Video Essentials DVD. Is there anything on it that will help? I haven't played with the audio portion of it much.

Brett Mihans

Auditioning
YPAO is Yamaha Parametric Room Acoustic Optimizer, a program on the 2500 that is part of the Auto Setup feature. This is done by going into the menu and choosing Auto Setup, and connecting the provided setup microphone to the amp. Auto Setup is as follows for the amp:
1. Wiring check (polarity and connection of speakers)
2. Distance Check (how far your speakers are from the mic)
3. Size Check (the size of your speakers by measuring lower freq.)
4. YPAO (sets up parametric EQ for the way speakers placed in room)

I have done both manual setup for my 5.1 room using Avia disc/SPL meter and Auto several times, and 7/10 times, the auto setup provided better EQ/balance for the room. Perfect for my open space apartment.

Regards,
Brett

RussPang

Auditioning
Ahh, I bought my rx-v2500 from Sound Advice when they were closing and didn't get any accessories, so I don't have the mic. I had to order a remote for it. Good news is the unit only cost me $450.

Can I plug any microphone in to it?

Brett Mihans

Auditioning
RussPang,
Not sure about using another mic for this application. Not even sure if I would try it either. I did bring up a question in another post to see if there was any place online to get the YPAO mic. Looks like the best place might be Yamaha themselves: www(dot)yamaha(dot)com/yec/customer/parts(dot)htm
Post above in your browser and replace (dot) with actual (.)

I want to help, but I haven't made the 15 post limit to send urls.

That's all I got. Hopefully someone can provide information.

Mark:F

Stunt Coordinator
Russ...to clarify your earlier question...instead of calling the little speakers "rears", call them "surrounds".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks