NXG or NHT for in ceiling / in wall?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Bill Cri, Nov 20, 2004.

1. Bill Cri

Bill Cri Auditioning

I am setting up a 7.1 system in my main living room that requires me to use in ceiling for the surrounds and rears and use in walls or bookshelf speakers for the front and center.

I have picked two different sets of speakers that will allow me to do this.

Set 1
    Center: NHT M6
    Fronts: NHT iW3
    Surrounds and rears: NHT iC3

Set 2
    Center: NXG PRO5200CLR
    Fronts: NXG PRO8300
    Surrounds adn rears: NXG PRO103C

I will be starting with a Klipsh KSW12 sub and may upgrade to a velodyne or SVS sub in the near future. I plan on using a Yamaha RX-V2500 as the receiver/amp.

Does anyone have experience and/or recommendations for this speaker plan.

Additional info: The room is a square 20' X 20' with the TV centered in front in a TV niche above the fireplace. The reason for the in ceiling surrounds and rear is the side walls have doors and windows where I would place the surrounds and the rear has a staircase.

Thanks,
    Bill

2. Jon_Welker

Jon_Welker Second Unit

Bill,

That's a fairly good sized room, and you'll need plenty of speaker to fill it. Is it possible to do 3 M6s across the front? This would give you a much more coherent soundstage across the front. I have some iW3s (and iC3s for rears) in my second system and they sound great, but it's also only about 11 x 14. I'm just concerned that you're front in-walls will get drowned out by the M6 center, not too mention the in-walls may get lost in that big of a room in general. If you have to do in-walls for your L/R, maybe take a look at the NHT iW4s. They would be a better match for the M6 center. Of course, there are always budget limitations, so I'm just throwing around some ideas.

3. Bill Cri

Bill Cri Auditioning

Thanks for the information. I will see if I can squeeze the budget and get three of the M6's for the fronts.

I would still like to hear if anyone has experience with the NXG in wall / in ceiling speakers.

Thanks,
    Bill