What's new

Rate the Klipsch RF-7 (1 Viewer)

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Lance, wouldn't 3 feet be just about right where the rf3's would be? I think they are actually pretty close to the height if not taller. I'm actually wanting rf5's rear and rf3's for surrounds. I'm just wondering if there is enough of a difference to justify the cost of the rf5's over the 3's.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Chris T.: Sorry I sounded fuzzy about the height advice:
Listening position---->your head. So speakers would be hung about 6-7 feet up the wall, measured from the floor.
For rears, personally I would still would recommend the RB5's (8" woofers) as the absolute largest speaker for a rear channel speaker in a normal-sized living room. I used to sell HT stuff and our most powerful system had a VSX-D2 Pioneer receiver w/ 50 watts RMS (continuous power) for each rear-an undistorted 50 watts-in a fully carpeted room about 25ft X 25ft (big!). At the rear we used bookshelf JBL's with 6.5" woofers. At the loudest volume level we could tolerate those woofers would just barely begin to visibly move. That's it. And they could withstand up to 65 watts continously, but that volume control was still only at the "11:00" position!
As far as I know, movie sound engineers just don't put extreme low bass into the center or rear channels: that is what the LFE channel is for. Movie theater owners, and homeowners especially, do not want to buy & deal with expensive/multiple/full-range speakers. Hence the ".1" dedicated low frequency effects channel concept.
Between the RF3's & RF5's? Hate to sound lazy, but only you can decide that, as I've never closely compared the two. One trivia point in favor of the RF5's: their tweeter is almost exactly at my seated ear height-no tilting or stands needed.
P.S. If you ever see a VSX-D2 for sale cheap, grab it quick! That thing has a on-screen menu system the shuttle would be proud of. And a DSP section that is the most realistic I've ever heard. Do NOT let the lack of buttons on the sexy front panel fool you. This receiver weighs about 50lbs, is @18" deep & sold for $1600.
LJ

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
"Hahaha do I see some anger arising or do you have some vendetta against klipsch."

Chris you have commited the Fallacy of petitio principi (begging the question). Please rephrase in a way which is not fallacious.

To answer the question as I assume you intended it, I am not about to get angry just disappointed that someone felt the initial request for a blind test would even warrant a response as it would be so useless given the context of the discussion (that being my own personal opinion of the RF7's). I have no VENDETTA against klipsch, I went to audition them so that I could BUY them but did not like them and found them the least desirable of all speakers heard. Since our personal opinions were asked I related mine which is just as valid as anyone elses as it is an opinion based on my perception. Are you going to tell someone they couldn't possibly not like the taste of broccoli because you love it so much. I commented only on the RF7 because it is the only speaker I heard. I have not heard the others and thus do not have an opinion on them thus making my comments at best a "vendetta" against the RF7 and not klipsch in general. I have no vendetta just a preference I have no problem with other people liking the sound nor did I comment that they were wrong in anyway to.

" Ya I guess I could pick my much better
speaker(rf7s) over yours too."

I hope you got that my response was to show the nonsensical and useless nature of the initial proposition

" But the real test would be a blind test of the speakers and an assortment of people to decide which one sounds best."

And how on earth would this prove that the people who auditioned klipsch and didn't like them all had vendettas, were buying into the "hype", or "probably" hadn't auditioned them correctly? Your test would be useless in in any way substantiating your initial supposition.

" I'm betting the outcome wouldn't make you happy and hell yeah i'd put $200 on it."

The bet is accepted, I will be happy with whatever people choose as that is there choice. It's great if people find a speaker that they can appreciate and enjoy at least some of the music they listen to for that session. Please send $200*.

* N.B. Will not except used pair of RF7's in lieu of afforementioned funds.

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
But your posts Shion seemed to imply that anyone that likes the klipsch sound must not like the way sound should "really" be. In that sense, you are wrong. One speaker is no more close to being perfectly accurate as the next. Besides how do YOU or anyone else know what is accurate and what isn't. Maybe music is supposed to have that so called harsh sound that you complain of. And what are you trying to say with that last statement. You must be higher class than me? What are you saying, I can't afford it or the klipsch aren't worth it? I know, you don't want them because you don't want to find out how much your speakers really do lack. I'll send you $200 just out of pity, get yourself some new cables or something.

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
"But your posts Shion seemed to imply that anyone that likes the klipsch sound must not like the way sound should "really" be."

me ->
I would tend towards the suspicion that people "rehash" notions of the Rf-7 sound because to a fair number of people it actually does sound that way...

You'll note the context of all my comments was my personal opinion of the sound. I tried my best to state "I THOUGHT" before everything and to "to a fair number of people". Not it "absolutely is" or "to all people it must". If I missed an "I thought" somewhere (which mayb be the case in my first post where "their" would have been better replaced by "their seeming" if i wanted to be extrordinarily redundant) so be it but given all the other qualifiers the context of my opinions being my personal opinion were self evident. I thought they were over exagerating high frequencies in some cases to nice effect and in some regretable ones to horrendous. I did not suggest that my speakers sounded more like the real thing, just that the RF7s sounded over exagerated compared to my listening preferences. Perhaps I don't like to listen to music the way it really is.

"In that sense, you are wrong. One speaker is no more close to being perfectly accurate as the next."

You are absolutely incorrect. Given sound can be defined exactly by the frequencies and amplitudes they produce speakers absolutely can be more and less accurate to the orignal sound.

"Besides how do YOU or anyone else know what is accurate and what isn't."

Never said I did. All I said was what I like.

"Maybe music is supposed to have that so called harsh sound that you complain of. And what are you trying to say with that last statement. You must be higher class than me? What are you saying, I can't afford it or the klipsch aren't worth it?"

Hmmm Issues. I was making a joke to the effect that i'd rather have $200 than a pair of RF 7 speakers. Why does it all have to be about slighting you? A little egocentric aren't we?

"I know, you don't want them because you don't want to find out how much your speakers really do lack. I'll send you $200 just out of pity, get yourself some new cables or something. "

Grow Up

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Me grow up?? Who brought this all back up after it had been dead for several days. In fact, I don't think I want to grow up.

And if you'd take $200 over a pair of RF7's it doesn't say too much for your common sense.

Grow Up, haha ok DAD

Shion_ca

Stunt Coordinator
"And if you'd take $200 over a pair of RF7's... "

I suppose you should acquaint yourself with the term "joke".

Obviously I'd take the one with the more significant dollar value; I was just playing to your vision of me being some rabidly fanatical klipsch hater and making a humorous dig at the issue in order to difuse it with levity. Oh never mind ...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks