What's new

Rate the Klipsch RF-7 (1 Viewer)

BruceD

Screenwriter
Manuel,

You might want to read the responses found in this thread again;

I said that you will not find that Klipsch speakers have an "equalized" response in the higher frequencies to add any "brightness".
I think you might want to re-think what you said directly to me in your statement.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
BruceD
I won't do it. My statement remains. :D
Just search the Net to find all the Klipsch's frequency response graphs you can find, then talk to me. Maybe just a particular speaker has a bump somewhere, but I can assure you that this is not common.
Furthermore, I remember I did that on this forum! Do a search of my posts. ;)
______
Edit:
I just found it ;) (There are more graphs, from the RB5 and some Heritage speakers, but I seem unable to find them at this time).
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...743#post950743

BruceD

Screenwriter
Come on Manuel, pay attention!!!! :D
The original question and subsequent discussion was:
In your opinion, how are the Klipsch RF-7s?
Your sidetrack onto other models just doesn't seem to provide any more info regarding the discussion topic.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Manuel,
Hope you parden me :D for not following my own observation about the RF7 comments, but here are the graphs you wanted showing peaks in high frequency for some klipsch products. The last one discusses frequency response specs.
They all show or discuss high frequency peaks.
RB3
RB5
Synergy 6

DanaA

Screenwriter
Gee, sorry, off topic again :b, but I'm glad Andrew Marshall called my RB-5ii's a "gem" and "killer", especially since I've always respected his opinion and liked his publication.

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
BruceD
The original question and subsequent discussion was:
It was Chris Tsutsui the first "attacking" all horn speakers, that's where I jumped. Understood now??? I was paying attention, nor like huh.. you know who.. :D
Anyway, looking at the graphs you used to show "peaks in high frequency for some klipsch products" I have to ask. What do you consider a peak? Im shocked here, really. :wink: Did you happen to see the multiple graphs link I gave?? Countless of other makers have more or less, sometimes way more "peaky" frequency response graphs!
So.. I really wonder, what happened here BruceD??

Jeff Ery

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, I thought the main reason for the horn tweet was for CONTROLLED DIRECTIVITY......Now , could we have a discussion about Klipsch's approach to dealing with IMAGING AND ROOM BOUNDRIES by using controlled directivity vs. Wide dispersion designs vs. Di-pole vs. Omni-polar designs? Anyone spending their lives in the sweet spot in a room designed for one with their head in a vice while all the friends and family who are seated a few feet away are wondering what all the fuss is about?

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Here's something to confuse you :crazy:
Last month I was at Tweeter and again saw some brand-new Klipsch KLF Series speakers (the ones they supposedly stopped making?). They were KLF 10's which consist of two 10" woofers and one @8"X5" tweeter horn. They were selling them for $800 a pair in black. I like them better than the RF-7's. RF-7's, to me have a kind of polite horn sound and bass is doesn't seem to go very low for a double 10" woofer system. I like the RF-5 model (two 8" woofers) better, believe it or not.
Anyway, for a long time I wanted the KLF20's: two 10" woofers, midrange horn and high frequency horn. Classic Klipsch sound: a bright and "happy" high end and very punchy bass. I.e., a fun speaker to listen to. But nowadays I think Klipsch is trying to appeal to the audiophile crowd with the RF series by dulling their sound-the lows and highs. In other words, the audio version of political correctness has hit this cool Arkansas company. Dang it!
Personally, I think cymbals no longer have a nice shimmery sound, and voices seem to blare out in an uncomfortable manner and the low bass just lays there. Some Mirage OM Series speakers right next to them sounded more detailed, clear and definitely had deeper/richer bass. Both demo'ed with a large Denon receiver, @$1500. Thank goodness they are still manufacturing their Heritage series of speakers (La Scala's, Belle Klipsch, Heresy and the Klipschorn):
http://www.klipsch.com/products/home...tage&line=home link might not work
LJ

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Jeff---Horns can certainly control directivity but there's no consensus among horn designers or users as to just how this ability should be applied.
One thing for sure, a horn's directivity pattern and how well the horn controls directivity as frequency increases have a great effect on the sound, far more I think than the driver effects it in many cases. JBL 2420 and Altec 902 drivers will sound very similar when used on Altec 511B horns but put the JBL on an Edgar "saladbowl" and you'll hear quite a difference. And I've a basement full of horns and drivers to prove it, I'm trippin' over the things. :)
www.chicagohornspeakerclub.org

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
I find it funny that all the klipsch threads seem to get huge. Its amazing how a select few will always go out of there way to try and make them look bad. Say as you will but there aren't too many klipsch owners that are unhappy with what they have. I don't think that the rf series is any more bright then my polks. I have the rf7's paired with some rt2000 and rt55's until I get the rest of my speakers. The polks are every bit as high but no where near as low and powerful.

BruceD

Screenwriter
Manuel,
Yes, I looked at your graph references, but I guess you didn't look at the references I gave, because one of the exact quotes was, "The on-axis quasi-anechoic curve below shows a little variation through the crossover region, with a sharp little peak at 5.5 kHz."
So.. I really wonder, what happened here BruceD??
Simple really, I found the graphs with Klipsch high frequency peaks you asked me to find, and the reviewers actually highlight that fact it in their text.
If you like, you may open and insert foot in mouth:D

Manuel Delaflor

Supporting Actor
Nah, I don't think so. Im not that interested in the topic anyway. Anyone is allowed to think whatever they want, so be my guest.:emoji_thumbsup:

JordanS

Second Unit
At my local dealer here in Toledo, Ohio, I heard some RB-5's off some McIntosh equipment. It was very, very nice sounding. At least to me anyways!

Good day!

David Harris

Stunt Coordinator
I really enjoy Klipsch line of speakers, i have the RF3s,
I have listened to the 7s at tweeter and good guys many times and although i love the way they sound i thought the
rf5s were a better choice, the pair of 10 inch woofers seemed loose as compared to the 8 inch in the rf5...

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
David how much of a difference is there from the rf3's to the rf5's. I'm trying to decide on which ones to use for my rears.:) :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris Tabor

Stunt Coordinator
Loose is the last word I would use for my rf7's. These have the tightest, hardest hitting bass i've heard from a speaker yet. I have heard the rf5's but not the rf3's.

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
Chris, the RF-5 has the same woofers in a larger, lower-tuned enclosure, a larger tweeter horn, and a better crossover. It is supposedly more refined sounding (less harsh) than the RF-3 with a more natural bass similar to the RF-7. Whether or not those features plus the wood finish are worth an extra $500-700/pair is up to you. I'd say for rears you should consider the RB-5s which are an excellent speaker and much cheaper.

LanceJ

Senior HTF Member
Chris T.:
Why do you want to use such large speakers for surrounds? Surrounds for HT are supposed to be slightly above (I think @3ft.) and slightly behind the listening position. Attempting to hang RF-5s on the wall would be a daunting task :frowning:.
Unless you have an enormous room, I think a pair of the RF's with a single 8" woofer would be plenty good enough. Actually, a model with a 6.5" woofer would be fine also.
LJ

Kevin McCurdy

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the RF5's and RF3's. The RF5's are as Michael described, more refined less harsh sounding speakers. I noticed it right away when I had both side by side playing on my equipment.

I'm now using my RF3's for the rear channels in a 7.1 Lexicon setup and I think it sounds pretty good. I was worried that the RF3's would be too much back there, but after everything was calibrated they blend in great. I did put them on 8" stands though to raise the tweeter above ear level.

The RB5's and RB3's would also be good choices for the rear channels. I had the RB3's on the rear channels for a month before trading them in for RF5's. I not 100% sure, but I don't believe they are wall mountable? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks