Rate the Klipsch RF-7

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Haris Ellahi, Oct 28, 2002.

1. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

In your opinion, how are the Klipsch RF-7s?

2. Joseph*K

Joseph*K Auditioning

Audioreview.com has a fair number of reviews on the RF-7's. Most of them are good.

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

You really need to hear them for yourself(if you haven't already). Klipsch speakers have a unique sonic signature which people either love or hate. I personally think the RF-7's are great speakers and plan on upgrading my RF-3II's to get a pair.

4. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

5. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Well, to tell you the truth, I have the Klipsch Reference Series 7 speakers (RF-7s, RC-7, and RS-7s). However, I only have the speakers right now and I'll be getting the A/V receiver and everything else soon.
    I bought them without listening to them first because that was the only choice I had, meaning there were no demo rooms. However, my father's friend has Klipsch speakers (not sure which ones, but I think they are KLF) and I heard them a while back and REALLY liked them. [​IMG]

6. Manuel Delaflor

Manuel Delaflor Supporting Actor

You will enjoy them very much. A hint, but features and no power in your receiver, the RF7's will go really loud with small amounts of power.

7. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

Like Manuel said, they don't need much power to go loud, but they are kind of picky with what you power them with. My personal opinion is that most Yamaha/Klipsch don't sound good and HK/Klipsch or Denon/Klipsch combo's sound best. I use a Parasound HCA-855a with my R*-3II system and it sounds fantastic.

8. Phil Mays

Phil Mays Second Unit

Keep in mind the "break in" period. If you havn't heard them yet then you may be dissappointed...at first.

9. Haris Ellahi

Haris Ellahi Second Unit

Thanks guys. [​IMG]
    I will be using a Denon AVR-4802. [​IMG]

10. Kenny WH

Kenny WH Stunt Coordinator

I am thrilled with my entire 7 series Klipsch/SVS-Ultra/Denon theater set-up. The best part about them is their ability to play at loud levels and still have excellent sound quality for both movies and music.
    Good Luck,
    Ken [​IMG]

11. RickBlacker

RickBlacker Stunt Coordinator

I have the Klipsch Reference 7's and boy, I tell you what, if that day ever comes to pass where I need to upgrade my speakers, you can bet your anual salary that I will stick with Klipsch! Indeed, I am one very happy camper with my R7 series. I have them paired up with a Harman Kardon AVR520 and Harman Kardon PA4000 amp.

12. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

I have the rf7 and denon 4802 combo. It sounds great, you'll be very happy with them. I auditioned many many speakers including b&w, paradigm, thiel, infinity, def tech and several others and chose the rf7's hands down over all the others. You don't even need a sub with these they hit so low and hard. But it doesn't hurt either.

13. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

Klipsch are a little loosey goosey, need an amp with high damping to keep the woofer controled.
    You have to remember that when Klipsch first started if you had 5 watts of power you were king.
    They sounded good then and for the most part they sound great today. A pair of "Cornwalls" and a early "Marantz" reciever, it didn't get much better than that. . .

14. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

I listened to a great deal of speakers in and above the RF-7 price range. They were the ones I needed the absolute least amount of time to decide that I did not like. If you ever get a chance sit them down beside a pair of the Tannoy Definition Horns and have a little comparative listen.

They really, really, really weren't my cup of tea, nor my "other pair of ears" who I bring along to help demo with me. I heard them on some Aragorn equipment with AQ viper interconnects and Bedrock cabeling. Perhaps this combination was just horribly unsynergistic ????

People seem to like them for rock but I thought their over exageration of high frequencies was strident and unnatural. IF you like the sound then go for it, but I'd really suggest having a listen to the equivalently priced Totem offering. They are very efficient though and emphasise vocals but were almost painful to listen to..... I'd rather not listen to some types of music than listen to it on them.

15. Chris Tabor

Chris Tabor Stunt Coordinator

Funny, everyone I know that owns them loves them to death. To each there own I guess. I just don't like that hand over the mouth sound that seems to come from all the "flat" speakers.

16. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

First, let me say I don't mean to offend anyone and I am simply answering the poster's question... I would rate the Klipsch RF-7 as very low, especially for the price tag.
    I have spent a couple hours auditioning the Klipsch RF7 powered by a Denon 5803 in a demo room environment.
    My conclusion:
    The RF7 is definitly a bright sounding speaker. In other words, the highs seem to drown out a lot of the other frequencies and create a harshness/fatiguing sound to my ears. The highs are plenty detailed but it just doesn't sound realistic especially during movies.
    This coloration is what separates them from other speakers which some people may like. What I prefer in a speaker is one that sounds pleasing and can be listened to for hours upon hours. With the Klipsch sound at reference volume I can barely sit through a single movie. Some people may think that other speakers sound flat/dull when comparing, this could be due to your ears adjusting to the higher treble. For example, listen to a speaker with the treble raised for a while and then turn it back to normal and you may notice the speakers sound "muffled" or "flat".
    Klipsch sound reminds me of pro audio equiptment at live performances which can give ears a ringing noise after exposure. They sound amplified by the horns to be capable of high volumes (unlike other horn loudspeakers such as Avantgarde). They would be perfect for the people who enjoy rock concert amplified type sound but for the realistic reproduction of sounds I think they perform poor.
    There are probably other ppl on the forum that feel the same way I do but I'm usually the only one that posts in the Klipsch Love threads. I don't hate Klipsch, it's just that they're not my style. [​IMG]
    I'd love to own a pair of RF7s for the times when I prefer their type of sound.

17. Javi

Javi Extra

"LOUD AND LIVE". You will fall in love with them!!!!

18. JordanS

JordanS Second Unit

I have the RF-3 II's with Adcom seperates running them (100 x 2). The sound is very upfront, and its great for classic rock and roll music.

19. Matt Jesty

Matt Jesty Second Unit

Perhaps this combination was just horribly unsynergistic ????
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
    I don't want to offend but it has seemed to me that many of the negative comments about Klipsch come from one (or too few) listening experiances (ie; not enough diff. gear), and then the comments seem to run towards the same old rehashed ntions of their sound....I would SERIOUSLY like to see people include some Klipsch in some blind tests, they might be surprised...doesn't Tom V own a set?

20. Shion_ca

Shion_ca Stunt Coordinator

"Perhaps this combination was just horribly unsynergistic ????
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++
    I don't want to offend but it has seemed to me that many of the negative comments about Klipsch come from one (or too few) listening
    experiances (ie; not enough diff. gear), and then the comments seem to run towards the same old rehashed ntions of their sound....I would
    SERIOUSLY like to see people include some Klipsch in some blind tests, they might be surprised...doesn't Tom V own a set? "

I would tend towards the suspicion that people "rehash" notions of the Rf-7 sound because to a fair number of people it actually does sound that way. I don't think a blind test would be interesting at all, the sound and emphasis of those speakers was unmistakeable given the equipment I was listening to it on, it would be like blind testing the taste of oranges vs. apples. Some people prefer oranges, some apples, some neither how would this undermine the position of those who don't find the sound appealing?

On female vocals such as dianna krall I think it might do a great job, if you prefer forward vocals. If you play Stone Temple Pilots or Bush and get the electric guitars going, or anything with a great deal of horns or cymbals at a moderate volume I'll know which is which by my inability to stay in the room.

Some might like that sound, chaque a son goute (each to their own taste) but to assume the naysayers opinion needs some sort of justification and is based on errors in their methodology, given their significant number and rather consistant complaint, can only be taken as an assertion of their ineptitutde in the face of your superior taste. Understand the arrogance in assuming that just because you absolutely love oranges, that a fair number of people complaining that they're too tangy should have their opinions doubted because they only ate oranges twice. Their is an arrogance demonstrated in your position that I find distasteful, please desist.