high-end receiver choice

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Dean_D, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Dean_D

Dean_D Auditioning

A friend moved to Europe and sold me his Klipsch 5.1 speaker set at a nice price (RF-3, RB-3, RSW-10). I had a basic JBL speaker system (Northridge, PB-10) with a HK receiver (AVR-225). I am going to sell the speakers and I am leaning towards selling him the receiver too.

I am not sure though. I like the HK. It has served me great. I also don't like 6.1, 7.1 etc. Too many underused speakers for my taste. I have an itch for something like a new high-end Marantz, NAD or even a Denon 3805. I am not sure about separates. Anyway, here's my problem. All high-end, high-power receivers are 7 channel. I will be using 5 channels. Which one should I get? I don't want amps I won't use (this is why I got the HK over a Marantz 5400). I guess am looking for good distribution of total power, say if it is rated 7x100 to give me close to 140x5. Otherwise I may stick with my HK AVR-225.

Any advice?

Thanks!

2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

I would probably spend more on speakers, less on amp. I used mini-monitors on a marantz 5300 for more than a year, and thought it was a very adequate fit. I now would prefer a higher-end amp after moving to much much better speakers, but IMO, speakers are going to make a bigger difference than a decent receiver.

3. Dean_D

Dean_D Auditioning

I kind of don't understand your response. I already have the Klipsch speakers and even though they are not the latest models, they are pretty high end IMHO. My problem is what to do with the receiver and if I decide to get a high-end receiver (most of which are now 7.1) how to pick it given that I will have a 5.1 setup.

Thanks ...

4. Merimac Hamwich

Merimac Hamwich Stunt Coordinator

Well, if you are dead set on a 5.1 only reciever, then that will narrow down your choices greatly right there. From there, just pick and choose based on performance and price.

If you just get a 7.1 reciever like most are now, and use the 5.1 capabilities (which are probably better than a 5.1 only reciever IMO) then you have a tougher choice.

Don't limit yourself to the big names either. I myself purchased a Sherwood Newcastle R-863T (which I consider to be high class [​IMG] ) and couldn't be happier.

As in most cases, I think your best bet is just to head over to as many DEDICATED home theater retailers as you can and try out as much equipment as you can.

5. Dean_D

Dean_D Auditioning

Merimac:

I probably was not clear in the first post. As you said, given that the new 7.1 receivers are better for 5.1 than 5.1 receivers (I don't think anyone is developing top-of-the-line 5.1 receivers) I have to look for a 7.1 receiver and I am concerned about performance when only 5 channels are driven.

6. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

Dean,
    I don't really understand why you would be concerned. A 7.1 receiver will function exactly like a 5.1 receiver.

If wattage is what you are concerned about, then don't be.
    Here is a link to the primer & FAQ page explaining how wattage relates to speaker output.

www.hometheaterforum.com/htforum/showthread.php?&postid=517124#post517124

And most receivers divert power from unused channels to channels that are being used.

7. Dean_D

Dean_D Auditioning

Brad wrote:

That's exactly what I am trying to understand better. Does anyone have similar experience with modern receivers to provide some input about which ones do this more cleanly and efficiently?

Thanks ...

8. Mike SJ

Mike SJ Supporting Actor

With Klipsch being so efficient speakers, you really dont need to up the watts too much. my speakers are 88 db's/1 watt and I use 100 watts per channel, and I never need it all. if you are looking for a nice receiver, look more for the options you want and then post the ones online that you like. just make sure the receiver doesnt distirt the high end too much. the klipsch will bring out all the faults in your receiver.

9. Howard_You

Howard_You Stunt Coordinator

Well, since you like H/K I would recommend checking out the HK7200 which probably has power ratings close to 140x5 and it's relatively cheap now since it will soon be discontinued, around $800 or so I believe.

10. Joshua H

Joshua H Stunt Coordinator

Apart from the 2 extra channels, what does the 7200 offer beyond the 7000? The 7000 is being sold refurb'ed at the Harman outlet for $600. Since I'm only doing 5.1 for the forseeable future could I just save $200 on 2 unused channels?

11. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Huh?!?!?!?

12. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Well, sort of. Most receivers have one power supply that provides the current for all the amplification circuits. Usually, the power handling capability of said amp circuits is more than the power the power supply can handle. So it isn't "diverting" power anywhere, but all channels usually draw from the same supply.

High-end amps may have multiple power supplies, or be truly mono-amps, that is, they may have a dedicated, separate power supply for each amplifier channel, so that heavy draw from one channel would have no effect on any other, unless the entire power circuit you're plugged into is running out of juice.

13. Brad E

Brad E Second Unit

I knew I was going to catch some flak by wording it this way.[​IMG]

14. RobWil

RobWil Supporting Actor

Things that make ya go 'Hmmmm' [​IMG]

Normally the specs will say something like "100WPC both channels driven at 8ohms with .09%THD" and then "100WPC all channels driven at 8ohms with .xxTHD, with 'xx' sometimes being equal and sometimes not. On the better receivers it's probably equal because of a stronger power supply maybe. I've seen some, like the HK's, which will list a higher 2-channel rating than when all channels driven, i.e. 80WPC x 2 but then maybe 65WPC all channels driven, probably because of their more honest ratings.
    So in 2-channel mode I'm sure you might have more clean power available, but in 5, 6 or 7 channel mode I can't believe there would be a noticible difference between 5 channels being driven versus 6 or 7.
    So...to the original poster, IMO, those extra 2 channels hanging out there unused will not adversely affect anything because they are not being used. And also will not affect anything positively 'to a significant degree' so don't try to let that be a deciding factor.

15. Dean Wette

Dean Wette Stunt Coordinator

If your speakers can be bi-amped, consider the forthcoming Arcam AVR300 (100 WPC x 7). If you only want 5.1, you can used the spare 6/7 channels to bi-amp the fronts. The menu system lets you set it up that way. Or you can use the spare two channels to setup a zone 2.

Arcam AVR300

Dean Wette

16. Dean_D

Dean_D Auditioning

Many thanks to everybody.

I went to a couple of stores and had the chance to listen to Marantz 6400, 7400 and Denon 3805. I liked them, they seem better than my H/K but not that much better.

However, the bottom line is that after the initial excitement subsided a little, I could not say that I was convinced I should upgrade. I am concerned about the lack digital HDMI/DVI connections, something which few new products seem to have. The speaker upgrade by itself has resulted in such a significant quality increase that I feel I should be a little more patient.

I did buy something during my trip in the stores [​IMG]. I got a Toshiba sd-4900 because it was on a ridiculous clearance sale and I remembered it can be converted for PAL movies easily. It is also DVD-A compatible, so I will try to see what the H/K and Klipsch speakers can do with high-res music.