What's new

Quick Take: Breaking Away (1 Viewer)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
This is a wonderful sleeper hit from 1979 that went on to win an Oscar for best screenplay with nominations for best picture, director and supporting actress. It has uniformly good to great performances, some very amusing dialog, and a poignant coming of age story at its center.

Fox has released this as a double sided single layer disc with both an anamorphic widescreen and a full frame transfer. Not a lot was done to clean up the film elements in the video realm, so there are a lot of visible film artifacts in the presentation that are indicative of the film's low budget origins. The widescreen presentation looks extremely tightly framed at the top. I'm not sure whether it was just poor framing for the widescreen frame or an error in the video transfer, but heresy though it may be, you might actually appreciate this film more in full frame. (Pause to cover head and don flame-suit)

The box indicates a "stereo surround" soundtrack, but the DD2.0 stereo soundtrack does not contain the flags to tell your receiver to engage pro-logic decoding. The original mono soundtrack is included in DD2.0 mono as well. The audio elements are in similar condition to the video with limited fidelity. The stereo remix adds a little ambience during music passages (there are two very memorable ones involving a bike race set to "The Marriage of Figaro" and a serenade) and crowd scenes (the final race). The announcer's voice during the climactic race is actually drowned out somewhat in the new mix, and overall, I preferred the mono.

Extras consist of a trailer and some TV spots.

The film is too good not to own (especially given its budget price), but this will not be confused with a reference quality transfer. As far as 1979 classics on DVD go, this one looks more like "The Muppet Movie" or "Life of Brian" than "Aliens" or Apocalypse Now".

Regards,

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
I've been begging for this for a couple of years now. I just bought it last night. I think I'll still try the widscreen side though.:)
Interesting that Ron gave a glowing review of the Sandlot transfer, and this one came up short. Maybe because there's about 10 years of film degradation going on here.
Our local Paper's video reviewer gave a write up on the FOX Family Collection. Mentioning that Sandlot, My Bodyguard, etc. were basically all charming stories about growing up. But he gave extra special mention of Breaking Away, stating that the performances, and story set this one apart from the rest of the pack, and belonged in a class by itself.
I hope HTFrs, in their glee at having The Sandlot, don't ignore this absolutely beautiful film out of forgetfulness. It appears that BA is getting overshadowed here.

Charles Guajardo

Stunt Coordinator
sometimes you have to forget about jaggies, dirty negatives, and non-existant surrounds for a truly great movie. I'm glad its out on dvd, I honestly thought it never would be. Thank you, Fox! Now someone get crackin' on Dogfight.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Ken,

I'm going to check out this dvd on Sunday after watching "The Sandlot" today which had an excellent dvd presentation. "The Sandlot" was filmed in 1993 compared to the 1979 "Breaking Away". Anyhow, the latter film is also special to me because I lived in Bloomington, Indiana for a number of years from the mid-1980's to the late 1990's. A great college town!

Crawdaddy

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
Robert,

I lived in B-Town for five years ('92-'97). I now live in the next best thing (Portland, OR), but my friends and I still watch Breaking Away once a year.

-Christian

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in the theater as a kid and its been one of my faves ever since.

Its a great movie and if you like it you should buy it because I truly doubt youll ever see it look or sound better.

As for the sound, I STILL prefer a 2.0 mix for movies like this instead of 5.1

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I agree with Ken that the framing seemed a little tight when watching the widescreen transfer of Breaking Away. I did not compare the p&s (or is it open matte?) version -- I just can't bring myself to flip these dual-format discs over. ;)
However, as everyone here has stated, this film is too good to pass up because of the less than stellar transfer. I first saw this movie in a college film class in 1981, and it's been a favorite of mine ever since.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I did not compare the p&s (or is it open matte?) version...
The B side is "open matt"...and the sides are cropped just a little. On the subject of aspect ratios, this is the first time I recall a DVD cover announcing a "...and Pan & Scan Version..."
Usually they refer to it as Full Screen, Regular, or Fucked Up To Fit Your Furniture.
I just threw this on tonight to check the framing but got caught up in the story. Haven't seen this since it was in theaters and being a Hoosier, I really missed having this film around the last 23 years. When it was released Paul Dooley was 18 years older than me, now he's looking absolutely youthful.
Jim

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I agree with Ken that the framing seemed a little tight when watching the widescreen transfer of Breaking Away.
To be fair, after the first reel or so, the framing does progress from "just looks wrong" to merely tight. By the way, I think I typed "Marriage of Figaro" when I meant to type "Barber of Seville", so remember: as always, it's what I mean, not what I say. :) My wife paid the film her ultimate compliment by staying awake through the whole thing, so that merits a purchase right there.
Regards,

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Paul Dooley & Dennis Christopher were reunited on a Law & Order episode this year, as father and son. I caught the last few minutes of the rerun tonight.
They were not the charming pair they played 24 years ago in Breaking Away.

Chris Atkins

Senior HTF Member
My wife and I lived in Btown from 97-01...went to graduate school there. What a great college town!

Look forward to this DVD...

R. Kay

Second Unit
My favorite movie ever. Originally saw it when I was 13.

It's a shame that Dennis Christopher's career didnt progress. He was awesome in this movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks