What's new

International The New Indicator SINBAD Trilogy Box set...OUTSTANDING!! (1 Viewer)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I recall posts related to the 1958 classic fantasy THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD which speculated that we would never see a better transfer than the Sony Blu release, which was quite a substantial improvement over the prior DVD. No, the naysayers reported, unless someone could return to the original negative and produce a 4k scan, this film was being presented the best it was ever likely to be. The colors were admittedly better than the DVD, but still not awfully good, and the grain took on a life of its own in sequences such as that with the Roc attack, in which it looked like a swarm of mosquitoes.

Well, I have received the new box set from Indicator (PH) and, as one who considers 7th VOYAGE one his absolute most revered childhood fantasies, I am more than happy to report that this disc had me smiling from beginning to end. This transfer alone, taken from a 4k negative scan, makes the price of the box -- roughly $65.00 U.S. including shipping from the UK -- well worth it to me. In fact, I feel I now own the definitive edition of this film (at least, while I am alive). The color is saturated, the detail sharp as a tack, the grain consistent and amazingly film-like, never going crazy even during the Roc sequence. The dragon during its fight with the cyclops does not change colors a dozen times, as it did on the DVD. The transfer is somewhat darker than previous editions and loses shadow detail on my default setting, but a modest boost in brightness on my display fixed this readily.

There is little important for special features that has not been carried over from the SONY, including the commentary, a doc called "The Music of Bernard Hermann," etc., and there are tons of new ones. The 8mm digest cut-downs are fun, if oddly mixed between color/sound excerpts and B&W silent ones. There are new interviews with Phil Tippett and others. As with the other two titles in the box, THE GOLDEN VOYAGE OF SINBAD and SINBAD AND THE EYE OF THE TIGER, there is an audio option offering a choice between the original mono and a 5.1 stereo soundtrack, both of them sounding crisp and dynamic. There is an isolated music score. The individual case reproduces the original movie poster rather than the crumby photoshop montage Sony's release included.

The other two films are at least the equal in quality to the now out-of-print Twilight Time releases, being based on fairly recent 2k scans from the original negatives, and they each add many new features. Both include isolated scores, and options for 5.1 stereo audio. Full-length interview with Harryhausen, shorter by informative ones with Jane Seymour, Caroline Munroe, Tom Baker, etc.

This set of three films, packaged in a sturdy cardboard box, serves beautifully as a loving homage to Mr. Harryhausen, and don't forget the 80-page, copiously-illustrated booklet included.

I received copy # 435 out of 6,000, so there are probably plenty out there for the moment. But that could quickly change once the news of the quality of this set gets out there. For fans of 7th VOYAGE alone, here is a can't-miss opportunity to obtain a beautiful transfer of a beloved childhood favorite. Who knows when, or if, this film will be released by Indicator as a stand-alone release in the future.

Go for it!

P.S. The header should have read "The New Indicator Sinbad Trilogy..." not "Indicated." Mods, could you correct this, please?

Last edited:

Ferdinand Hudson

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ronnie
"Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" unfortunately doesn't stem from the advertised recent 2K scan (as seen on the Twilight Time release and the Australian Harryhausen set from Madman) but instead from an older one (recently also used for the German Explosive Media BD release).

Powerhouse is reportedly looking into the issue.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
They haven't said anything publicly but in a private chat they said they were talking with Sony about the matter. We'll see where that leads.
I'd have to do a comparison viewing between the Indicator and the TT regarding EYE OF THE TIGER, which I did not do for my OP (I only know it looks fine to my eyes), but Ronnie seems to know the lowdown so I will defer. The major (and I think very accurate) information I wished to impart is for THE 7th VOYAGE OF SINBAD, which AFAIC just absolutely knocks the ball out of the park.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sorry - editing some of these posts doesn't always work well for me.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I will keep the TT editions of both GOLDEN VOYAGE and EYE OF THE TIGER, but I have zero interest in keeping the Sony Blu of 7th VOYAGE after watching the Indicator.

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
There is little important for special features that has not been carried over from the SONY, including the commentary, a doc called "The Music of Bernard Hermann," etc., and there are tons of new ones.

So to clarify, Dick-- is the commentary included? Thanks! I just ordered this!

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
AmazonUK
Zavvi
Powerhouse/Indicator directly

Probably various other EU sellers

Some of the US sellers like Deep Discount that sell imports though it's backordered which is always an issue.

Last edited:

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I ordered the Powerhouse/Indicator set from Amazon UK this morning. I didn't buy the Twilight Time releases but I do own the Ray Harryhausen collection that contains 'It Came From Beneath The Sea', 'Earth vs. Flying Saucers', '20 Million Miles to Earth', and 'The 7th Voyage of Sinbad'. So, only one duplicate title between the two sets.

I believe the 7th Voyage in my current set is the same transfer as the 2008 Sony release. So the Indicator set will be a very nice upgrade and 7th Voyage is my primary reason for purchasing the set.

I'm aware of the controversy over 'Eye Of The Tiger' but, from the screenshot comparisons I've seen, it's not exactly a trash transfer. If Indicator does an update/replacement, I'll take it. Otherwise, I'm sure I'll survive with what it is.

The Indicator set came to £38.91 shipped, which should be about $50 US. So, $16.66 per title after shipping. That's WAY cheaper than Twilight Time. Heck, even if you don't count 'Eye Of The Tiger', $25 per title is cheaper than TT.

Here are screenshot comparisons of the new 4K remaster of 7th Voyage (Indicator) to the 2008 Sony release of 7th Voyage:

https://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d1=10519&d2=10518&s1=102474&s2=102462&i=4&l=0

The improvement in detail is substantial.

Keep in mind that the Indicator set is a limited edition run of 6,000 copies. It will go out of print at some point.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sinbad-Tri...533851&sr=1-1&keywords=sinbad+trilogy+blu+ray

Edit: Thanks to Apple Pay, I get an instant notification when my American Express card is charged. Amazon UK just charged my card $49.42 for the Indicator set so it is already on its way. About 90 minutes after I ordered it.

Mark

Last edited:

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I see that it's available through the US Amazon site, but it lists for $79.99. It also states to allow for 1 to 2 months for delivery. I assume that it is shipping from the UK regardless of which Amazon you buy it from.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
I think I'll keep mine from the Columbia Box Set. I looked on eBay and there are tons for sale, which I thought I'd make a few bucks to offset the Indicator price.

Even if its one my favorites, as you get older, money is a problem, especially when you keep double dipping with no end in sight.

Most my age are patiently waiting, before we're lowered into the ground...the classics...WAR OF THE WORLDS, THIS ISLAND EARTH, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, DESTINATION MOON, and all the others that you can name...that's why some of us oldsters have bought boots for their collections)

So many movies...especially those of us that have gotten into 3D late...SO LITTLE TIME!!!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
I think I'll keep mine from the Columbia Box Set. I looked on eBay and there are tons for sale, which I thought I'd make a few bucks to offset the Indicator price.

Even if its one my favorites, as you get older, money is a problem, especially when you keep double dipping with no end in sight.

Most my age are patiently waiting, before we're lowered into the ground...the classics...WAR OF THE WORLDS, THIS ISLAND EARTH, WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE, DESTINATION MOON, and all the others that you can name...that's why some of us oldsters have bought boots for their collections)

So many movies...especially those of us that have gotten into 3D late...SO LITTLE TIME!!!

I'm "only" 60. But we told our daughter she gets the house and we are spending the rest. :)

She just graduated with a Medical Laboratory Science degree and has job offers coming out her ears. She'll be fine.

Mark

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Have watched the Indicator "7th Voyage of Sinbad" twice. The PQ is spectacular and to hear Herrmann score in 5.1 stereo is a dream come true. Threw my US blu ray away.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks