What's new

Quick Router question for edges (1 Viewer)

Garret_O

Agent
Hello all,

Quick question. I want to router out 3/4" on the top and bottom edges of my sub box so I can put 3/4" walnut strips in there. That way the sub will match my mains, oak with walnut strips.

Any suggestions on the best way to do this?? Would a 3/4" rabbit bit at a 3/4" depth be the best way to go??

Any suggestions would be great, Thanks.

Edit:
Doesn't look like there are such bits, best you can do is 3/4" by 1/2" inch depth. Would a 3/8" look ok or just cheesy? I'm guessing cheesy. So wold you take the chance on a straight bit- getting everything straight and in-line?

Dan Wesnor

Second Unit
Is the sub box already built? If not cut the top and bottom 1 1/2" too small, and put ir thin strip of MDF around them inside at the edge to glue the sides onto.

Making big cuts like this with a hand-held router is dicey at best. If you decide to route it anyway, make several passes. I'd make at least 4, and never make a cut more than 1/2 the diameter of the bit. You don't want the thing jumping on you. Remember, half of the router base will be unsupported.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Can't you cut your strip thinner? I can get oak, just about paper thin with my table saw..This way, you have a veneer strip instead of a solid piece. I'm assuming the box is already assembled? A pass with a 3/4 inch router bit at maybe 1/16th wouldn't be too bad to do.

Garret_O

Agent
Sorry,

Yes the box is already built.

I suppose I could just trim enough to place a thin veneer strip along the edge. Otherwise you guys are suggesting that I not do it huh?

I thought a rabbet bit might keep me steady along the edge with the bearing for support.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
I did that on mine. I used oak. It's about a 1/4 inch wide (almost)and about 1/16 inch thick. I made three strips . Two are 24 inches long and one is 30 inches long. I ran them vertical in the middle of the sub about 3 inches apart. The sub is painted flat black with oak trim on the sides and top.

I finished the strips to match the stain on the oak trim, then setup the router with a 1/4 inch bit and got it set with practice scraps from the trim I made, till the depth was just right. Then clamped a straight edge and made a couple of stops on it (all out of scrap wood..) for the cuts on the sub.

Then trimmed up the strips at the ends to fit flush and glued in place.

It gives just a bit of pizazz to the front of the sub. And it really wasn't hard to do.

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
I would use a small straight bit and make multiple passes. Use an edge guide to ensure straight lines. If you are joining 2 strips at 90&deg then you will need to make the corners with a chisel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks