What's new
World Wide Stereo

questions with ht construction ?help please? (1 Viewer)

tabenterprises101

Auditioning
Real Name
tony brock
hello everyone,

newbie here so please forgive me if this has already been addressed but i could not find it.

i am beggining construction on my ht next week here is my dilemma:

it is in the basement it will be used for movies and sporting events alike. is it possible to have a true movie expiereince with 2 walls open(rear speakers being mounted from ceiling? im trying to get the feel of an fully open basement but i am worried if i will lose any quality, if so how much?

my other solution was to run heavy velvet blackout curtains ceiling to floor on the two open walls. that way i could shut them during a movie(but would that help that much?) and leave them open the rest of the time.

also has anyone bought any componets or speaker from dayton loud speaker(partsexpress.com?) if so are they any good?

thanks for your help

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
If the rest of the basement will be lit and be used by others during the movie, then I recommend the curtains. Otherwise, it will be dark and you won't notice the light. Put something to absorb the sound on the other wall or you may get reflections. The sound will not be balanced.

As for PE speakers, I have bought some in-ceiling ones for surrounds and parts to build my own. I'm currently using the DII and DIII from Speakerbuilder dot net in my theater as the fronts and center. I'm building 3 DIII's for my fronts in the living room. I'm also building a set of 7 Dayton Home Theater MTM speakers for an upgrade to the theater. Other sites with designs are dB Speakers and the the HT Guide forums. When you get ready to build speakers, we have a DIY section here to help you.

-Robert

tabenterprises101

Auditioning
Real Name
tony brock
robert thanks for the quick response,

i think the light issue will be fine in the basement, my main concern is the sound. will it be that big a difference with a fully enclosed room or an open room?
Put something to absorb the sound on the other wall or you may get reflections. The sound will not be balanced.

what should i put on the walls to absorb the sound if i leave it open?

again thanks for your help

tony

JJMJ71

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JJ
Robert,

Those are some good links for panels, thanks for posting them!

JJ

Fred333

Agent
Real Name
Fred
I liked the use of the curtains and those links that Robert put up were very nice. Thanks again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks