What's new

Questions: LCD Sony KDF-60XBR950 (1 Viewer)

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't. I'm using S-video now (as the DVD player doesn't have component), so I'm not sure about dropping to composite...

Ultimately, it may be that DVD player that's giving me problem... I'm going to give it a try when I get home...

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
That site is for a front projector. Would it apply? And if it did, how would you fix it in a new, under warranty, RPTV?

Eric_Connelly

Second Unit
What is the pixel count?

From what I understand the non-XBR is not a standard hi def res, is the XBR?

Tuner would be nice too but after watching Once Upon a Time in Mexico last night on our HD931 through DVI I was incredibly impressed with the detail and can't imagine it getting much better, the XBR must be a real treat.

Jeff Me

Agent
Yes it does apply. These sets use the same type of components as the front projectors. They just project inside of the TV. You would need to remove the optical engine to attempt this adjustment. I have no idea if you would be successful.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I'm hoping the green bleed is due to interference in the connection between DVD player and TV. That's the easiest thing to fix:emoji_thumbsup:

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Very helpful information, guys-- and much appreciated. I'll be looking into it later tonight. I'm a bit nervous opening the TV to make adjustments there, so hopefully the cable fixes will help--if not, I guess Sony will be coming to the house.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Eric-

I'm not sure of the pixel count- it's not extraordinarily higher than the Grand, but there is a noticeable difference if you watch them side by side.

I must say, the XBR looks good- the HD super bowl was amazing. I may just be too picky.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I went by Best Buy and Sears today. First was Best Buy where I checked out the Samsung DLP 50" and compared it to the Sony 50" GWIII. Aside from Black Level the Sony was the better of the two.

I then went to Sears and looked at the Hitachi and the Sony GWIII. First off, the Hitachi is a nice set. I think I would pick it over the Sony GWIII. It was not, however, as nice as the XBR. At least imho.

The XBR stands out to me because it has a very bright accurate color picture with no artifacts, rainbows, graininess, or other wierdness you see from the DLP TVs.

The XBR also has all the bells and whistles.

I think the Black Level of the XBR is also a bit better than the Sony GWIII, Panny 50CL, or the Hitachi 50V500.

The only LCD TV I'd stack up against the XBR would be the Director Series Hitachi. Unfortunately I don't even know where I could look at one much less buy one. Too bad since it's a good bit cheaper( doesn't have an ATSC tuner)

I guess I'm saying the Sony XBR is the best thing out there now and for the near future. If just hadn't cost so much:frowning:

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I watched Die Another Day last night on HDTV. wow:D

I viewed it with my living room lights on. The black level seemed to be very good in a non low-light setting.

I also better appreciate the XBR's black level after viewing some of the competion yesterday. I've seen them before, but after living with the XBR for a week I have a better idea of what to look for.

Dan, the suspense is killing me. Did the green bleed get fixed?

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
David,
Have you noticed any of the streaking of colors on fast moving objects I have heard about?

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
I was on the CC web site looking at the comments from people who have the 60" set and they said they did notice this problem. Here is what was said.

"I could not wait for this HDTV to hit the market. I wanted to see if Sony could produce a LCD TV even remotely as good as the CRT direct view line. I have owned two of the heavy 36' direct views. I still have them. I still love them! Let's get to it.

The feature packed 950 series looks great sitting on the stand. The picture is a thousand times better than last years 800 series which, by the way, was horrible. Sony should ship a 950 to everyone who bought a 800 for free.

BAD NEWS

If you have thefinancial ability to purchase this TV, you probably have the ability to go all the way and add a Faroudja NRS-DVI video processor to eliminate the smearing caused by rapid movement of colors.

GOOD NEWS

The bad news and the fact that you can't see a perfect picture from 160 degrees either point of center are the only drawbacks. This is a problem with ALL LCD panels.

CONCLUSION

This is the best 60' and 70' LCD HDTV on the market to date. Cheaper than a plasma and not subject to phospherous burnin make the XBR's a terrific buy for all but the most demanding A/V phile. If you want better, Faroudja, Runco or Digital Projection $$$$$$ are waiting for your call. "

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
"BAD NEWS

If you have thefinancial ability to purchase this TV, you probably have the ability to go all the way and add a Faroudja NRS-DVI video processor to eliminate the smearing caused by rapid movement of colors."

I've read this myself on the CC site. I've not had this problem. I would blame this on bad connection at the store he viewed the XBR.

I've read in the really long XBR thread on AVSForum( written by someone who really seems to know what he's talking about) that the scaler in the XBR is probably better than any scaler you'd get from a source component( DVD, Cable box, etc...)

I've also read in other threads where people commented on the motion blur and how it went away once they got the set home.

Calvin, are you considering the XBR?

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Yes I am very seriously. It will be later this year but I am trying to research as much as I can. I am leaning toward this model. I just want to be careful for the money they cost.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah I know what you mean. I want the most for my money as well, especially when it is this much of it.

There are three competing technologies coming out this year to watch: JVC's D-ILA, Intel's version of LCOS, and Texas Instrument's DLP 2+.

Of course, by the time they come to market, get the quirks out, and reviews are available it'll be next year.

LCD is here now, it's proven, and Sony has been getting some nice reviews. It's just the promise of a 3000:1 or 5000:1 contrast ratio that makes me think of returning the XBR and waiting a bit more. (XBR's ratio is not published but I read in that oft mentioned AVS XBR thread that it's around 400:1. Of course that's a measured ratio. I've read that rated ratios are often inflated.)

If I remember correctly, JVC is coming out with a three chip D-ILA TV that'll be 5 or 6 thousdand. It promises great color and a huge contrast ratio. Units are supposed to come out mid-summer.

Sounds like your options are going to get even more complicated:frowning:

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
I tried Sony's suggested fixes (after calling them)-- and found the green bleed...

...is still there.

My wife and I rented Second hand lions, and during the night scenes and fades, I did notice a green circle that is just below the bleed. So, I'm going to have it replaced (with a new XBR).

So you were able to get some comparisons? Well, here's where we can combine forces, as though I didn't get the viewing on the rest of the HD sets, I have seen the feed on the Hitachi LCD. It looked pretty crappy, actually. There wasn't a whole lot of gradient transition, as there was a lot of pixelization and "blockiness" in shading between colors.

I'm feeling more settled in my XBR decision, as I watched the Grammys last night in HD. Beautiful. Also, the blacks on film look pretty deep to me-- it's the bars that don't look as deep. I wonder why that is?

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
"I'm feeling more settled in my XBR decision, as I watched the Grammys last night in HD. Beautiful. Also, the blacks on film look pretty deep to me-- it's the bars that don't look as deep. I wonder why that is?"

I've noticed the same thing. I wonder if this is an optical illusion or if the XBR does something to magnify black in the scene?

Anyone have a clue?

I also wish I knew what the heck Cinema Black is supposed to do.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Playing around last night I finally noticed a difference when turning on "cinema black." If you find a dark scence in a movie and pause it, then turn "cinema black" on, you'll see the overall light output decrease.

VPL-HS20

That is a link to a Sony LCD front projector. It explains how "cinema black" works for the FP. I can only assume it is similar in the XBR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks