What's new

Questions: LCD Sony KDF-60XBR950 (1 Viewer)

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds about right. Is it a noticeable difference? I played with it in some scenes from "Reign of Fire" (due to all the dark scenes) and didn't notice even a subtle shift.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
It's subtle but noticeable.

Man, I just called to return my TV. The cost/benefit thing just got to me. They don't pick it up till Friday so I suppose I might still change my mind, but I am thinking about trying to make a Front Projector work in my room.

The Sony VPL-HS20. I could buy the projector and all the goodies for the same price.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Oh, no! I can understand the economics argument. Definitely keep me posted on your projector. I entertained the notion, but with a drop down screen and wiring the thing to the ceiling, I opted for the XBR. For some reason, projectors always make me a little nervous. I would be interested to see how this works out for you.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I just wish I could buy the TV without the ATSC tuner, High power speakers, and Sony proprietary crap. I don't need any of it. They could easily take a thousand off the price without those items.

Oh well, the wife and I are going to talk about it tonight. I think she's not all that thrilled with the projector idea.

At this point it's nobody's guess what will be sitting in my living room in a month!

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
"David,
O.k. your scaring me...
What is making you decide against the XBR?"

I think the TV is awesome. The only criticism I have is a less than stellar black level. It's adequate, but not great.

I've come to appreciate the reflective screen Sony put on the front as well. At first you think," Why the heck did they do that?" But, after living with the TV for a while I've noticed the screen has two benefits:

1. It reflects, but at a very dim level. It seems to suck the light out of the background and darken it to the point where ambient light isn't that big of a deal. I really notcied this when I sat it next to my old 53" bigscreen.
2. It kind of smooths out the picture and lessens the screen door effect. I think the picture has a very nice silver screen look to it. Dan I think might disagree and say it's pixelated, but I think of it as more shimmery and quite a nice effect.

Now, here is why I am returning the TV( until I change my mind again)
I'm in the military and plan on moving in about a year. My next house WILL be front projector friendly. I've got front projector envy something fierce.

The XBR has more bells and whistles than I need. I don't need the ATSC tuner, the high powered speakers, or the Sony Ilink crap. I have a set top box, 6,000 dollars worth of surround system, and non-sony components so the Sony extras are redundant or not necessary

So now I have another decision to make. Do I buy a bedroom size high-def TV and leave it in the living room till I can get the front projector? Buy a less expensive CRT bigscreen? Buy a front projector and accept that it might not look so hot in my current set-up? arrrggghhhh!!!!!

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
If you have the room and ambient light control, you can buy a Sony HS20 LCD Front Projector, a 92" to 106" Stewart Firehawk Screen and a Sony HDTV Satellite/terrestrial/NTSC receiver for $5000-$5500. The HDTV Quality was outstanding at 13 feet from a 106" screen with no "screendoor effect". I would go to the smaller screen for more POP from the image, and for room on the sides to accomodate the speakers I am using.

These prices are quotes before negotiation, so I am sure I can do better (or have installation/calibration thrown in). If you are looking at that price range (and most of what is being discussed in this thread will end up there with a tuner) don't overlook that possibility. Look at projectorcentral.com for a recent review of this machine. Just wanted to throw out alternatives.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I think the HS20 would be at the top of my FP list, but I think I'm kidding myself when I think about FP in my current room( no light control) I may go with a 34" Sony XBR or a cheaper CRT RPTV until we move. The Toshiba 65HX93 got the number 1 rating in Home Theater Mag. The idea with the Sony 34" would be use it in the living room till we move, then move it to another room and set up the FP system.

Thanks for the advice! I just wish I take it.

Jim Douglas

Second Unit
I was in Circuit City picking up some cables today and was looking at the 60" XBR while I was there. I thought it had a really nice picture. They were not showing anything with any dark images. Everything being sent to it were pretty bright images. If I was looking for a TV today or if my dealer would trade my red streaking Pioneer Elite for one I'd give it a try.
Later
Jim

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
It is a pretty good TV. Dave can probably give a good argument against it, but the black levels haven't been a problem for me- and I consider myself to be a pretty discerning guy when it comes to picture quality. Circuit City is probably running the TV on Vivid (or is it vibrant?), which is the highest, brightest setting. Even on "standard" which darkens it a bit and smooths edges, looks great. It's just getting past that price tag.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
I would not argue against this TV. In fact, they came and picked it up today and I already miss it:frowning:

It's an awesome TV. It just didn't pass the sanity check. I just couldn't justify what I paid for it.

But man does it have an awesome picture! and just about every bell and whistle you could want.

Black level isn't perfect, but it's easily forgiveable in a room with any light in it. The color is spot on and the image gets so bright sometimes it can hurt your eyes.

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
That price tag still nags me as well, David. I'm glad in some ways that my "trial" period has passed, as I can't change my mind. :D

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Sometimes I wish I'd bought it mail order, then I'd be stuck with it:D

I'm still not completely sure I did the right thing. I guess I'll wait a couple of weeks and let the dust settle, then start again.

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
From the papers I signed when they picked it up, it appears the TV went to Bjorn's clearance center. That would mean they are not selling it "as new"

CalvinCarr

Supporting Actor
Would a place like that be a good place to look for discounts on returned models? Maybe I should just ask for your old set.:)

David Parrish

Stunt Coordinator
Depends, do you live in San Antonio?

I'm not sure they'd deliver.

Also, I'd be willing to bet it's sold already. Those puppies are HOT!

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
Hey guys, I was actually looking into the 70" XBR model for a long time, but I heard they had all sorts of problems, and now Im looking into the 60" model.

You guys all seem to really like this television (the song 60" xbr), with the only main compliants being the green thing, and the less than black, black levels. From what I got out of this, it seems as if the green problem is fixable. However, the black worries me. If a room is pitch black, (meaning you see the light from the tv, and your components lcd screens, and that is all), is the black really a main issue? I will be using this set for all sorts of viewing, and this is bothering me, because i know there will be a lot of late night viewing of movies going on. (There will be lots of daytime viewing, so im not worried about then, b/c u guys said during the day the black levels are fine).

Does anyone have any experience with pitch black rooms and this tv? Obviously its a great deal to pay and I dont want to be stuck with something Im "living with", as i'd rather be with something I "cant live without". Thanks a lot guys

Mike

Dan

Stunt Coordinator
Mike-

Hope I can help here. Honestly, the black levels are a non-issue for me. I've got the TV in a windowless room that is pitch black when the doors are closed and lights turned out. The black looks fine and can be adjusted. Granted, if the set is turned up in brightness, the blacks tend to look more gray (a deep charcoal gray). However, IMO, the blacks are good enough for me... and I am quite picky.

Something I've noticed of late has been a "sandy" look to DVDs that kind of drives me crazy. I'm trying to determine if it's the TV or just a sucky DVD player/feed (though I must acquiesce that DVDs will will look worse on the big screen HD set) that an upgrade could solve.

If you have any additional questions, I'm happy to help. Again, I'm extremely picky, as this TV gets the wow factor from everyone else.

Danny Beck

Stunt Coordinator
I have to admit, i'm a little confused by your posts Dan. :)

You seem to praise the XBR950 but then you say things like the "sandy dvd" look and i'm not sure if you like the tv or not.

So, could you please give a full desciption of what you do and do not like on the tv and why? Also, could you describe the "sandy" comment a little more?

I'm considering moving up to the price of the XBR950 because i'm just worried about the quality of the WE610 models and their longevity. I have a strong feeling that the XBRs are just a better built tv and will last longer with fewer problems. Not to mention the excellent warranty that Sony offers with their XBRs. I already own a 34" XBR910.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks