What's new

quick question... (1 Viewer)

chrisWe

Auditioning
Is there some sort of "magic" formula for determing what size monitor might be too big for a certain sized room?

I'm looking to purchase an HDTV monitor. I think I've narrowed my search to either the Sony 60" XBR® Grand WEGA™ LCD Rear Projection HDTV KDF-60XBR950 or the Samsung HL-P6163W 61" Widescreen HDTV Monitor TV with DLP™ Technology.

Viewing distance will be 10 feet directly in front of the monitor with scattering of seating directly right and left of the main "couch". Viewing angle will be anywhere from 90 degrees (10 feet of viewing distance) to about 45 degrees (only 5 feet of viewing distance. I'll be watching HDTV for football games and DVD movies.

So is there such a thing as too big? Also glare is a concern as there is a double window directly in front of the monitor. I already shut the blinds during the day when I watch my 36" CRT TV...

Thanks for any info you can give me... I've done many, many searches on this site regarding the 2 models and am very much on the fence as to which one to purchase...

Steven_Lazarus

Stunt Coordinator
Size factors: | Wide-screen TV-viewing distances |

Wide-screen TV-viewing distances
Wide-screen televisions showing high-resolution DVD and HDTV look better than regular sets, allowing you to sit closer and experience a more immersive, theaterlike picture.

With wide-screen sets showing DVD or HDTV, you can sit as close as 1.5 times the screen's diagonal measurement and not notice any loss in quality, while sitting farther away than three times the screen size means you're likely to miss out on the immersive feel. Here's a rundown of minimum and maximum recommended viewing distances for wide-screen sets.

16:9 TV diagonal size Min. viewing dist Max. viewing dist

26" Min - 3.3 Max - 6.5
30" Min - 3.8 Max - 7.6
34" Min - 4.3 Max - 8.5
42" Min - 5.3 Max - 10.5
47" Min - 5.9 Max - 11.8
50" Min - 6.3 Max - 12.5
55" Min - 6.9 Max - 12.8
60" Min - 7.5 Max - 15
65" Min - 8.1 Max - 16.2

chrisWe

Auditioning
As a follow up question...

I am deciding to go to a "higher" end monitor (see models above) because I need to have a rather varied viewing angle. Am I right in making this determination. I mean is that the major difference between a higher end LCD/DLP and a lower cost RPTV? When I see the monitors at the stores that seems to be the major difference. When you look at the more affordable monitors from an angle they really lose their PQ.

Thanks again for any information you can give me. Just trying to justify the big price tag...

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
hard to say about the viewing angle. i have a "low-end" set, the panny 53wx53, (rpcrt) and at 45 degrees off center the picture is quite bright. in fact, it hardly is less bright than right in front of the set.

ag.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks