What's new

Questions About THE BEATLES - HELP! (1 Viewer)

Jeff_A

Screenwriter
I have heard, seemingly forever, that there will eventually be new releases of A Hard Day' Night and Help.
Today, I couldn't resist any longer as I found a copy of HELP for $17.99 in a local store. Was the MPI version (dated 1997) the only region 1 version ever released? Wasn't there indeed talk of a re-release of this film?
I would also appreciate your thoughts on the quality of this release. Thanks Beatle film experts! :)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
You found HELP! for $17.99? That puppy will be worth some serious bucks on eBay soon, if it isn't already. It's been out of print for a while, and Disney is still sitting on the long-announced A HARD DAY'S NIGHT, so it'll be a while before HELP gets another DVD release. And, though it's full screen (possibly not pan and scan), the color restoration is gorgeous and the transfer compares favorably to the Criterion laser by ten-fold. Keep it.

Sebastian_A

Stunt Coordinator
HARD DAY'S NIGHT is available here in R2 with a great new soundtrack - excellent!
Sebastian. :)
PS: If you need help getting it, lmk!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I have the DVD...it's excellent except for the lack of 1.66:1 matting...

The extras are great for 1997 and the only additions an SE would be the following things:

- Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 tracks (the DVD has 2.0 surround)

- 1.66:1 anamorphic widescreen (the DVD is open matte and is a little tight on all 4 sides)

- Richard Lester commentary

- new transfer from 35mm (the DVD has a 16mm transfer that is a little grainy)

The existing extras are great...I personally like the Richard Lester interview with the Running Jumping and Standing Still Film.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
A few copies of this have surfaced in some of the Tower Records stores in the Sacramento, CA area priced at $19.99- I just picked up one at the Watt Ave. store, they had 3 left last time I checked. They've got a ton of "Magical Mystery Tour" too which I need to get, though that doesn't seem to be as in demand.

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
I have both Help and A Hard Day's Night. Help is good for its age, although seems to me the color is a little washed out.
The MPI A Hard Day's Night is superb. If you can find it, jump on it! (wouldn't part with mine for anything) (well, maybe a grocery bag full of money.....) :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Help is good for its age, although seems to me the color is a little washed out.
The colors are absolutely brilliant compared to any previous release of Help! This was the main advantage of the recent restoration. The DVD is from the same master that was broadcast as part of the AMC film preservation festival a few years ago. Take a look at the Criterion laserdiscs or any previous VHS if you want to see faded color.

Regards,

Randy_M

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Randy
My statement was from memory...maybe I better go back and watch it again....Yeah! I'll do that. And AHDN for good measure...

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks