What's new

Two interesting iPod/iTunes questions... (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Two questions for your consideration...

First, does iTunes support DVD-A or SACD? I would love to rip
my DVD-A discs to iTunes->iPod in Apple lossless so that I can
listen to them in full audio glory on my iPod. Is this even possible?
Will the iPod play the DVD files fully uncompressed so they sound
as good as the original?

Next, how do you join two songs together as one?

For example...

Queen's We Will Rock You and We are The Champions
are one song.

Chicago's Dialogue Part 1 and Dialogue Part 2 are
one song.

The Beatles Sgt. Pepper and With A Little Help From My Friends
are one song.

Okay you get the picture.

Now, how do I assure they always play together as one song?

Sure, I could drag them together in iTunes so hopefully they will
play according to song number.

But how about on shuffle play? They certainly will not play together
then.

Does iTunes have a function where it bonds two songs together so
it will always play as one?

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
DVD-A and SACD: I would guess the answer is no, for several reasons:

They're encrypted bitstreams, and Apple would not break encryption. So iTunes proper would not rip the discs. But if you could "somehow" get the digital files:

SACD uses an encoding scheme, 1-bit delta-sigma modulation at 2.8224 MHz, that is completely different than every other common (uncompressed or compressed) audio format. The iPod definitely does not support it.

DVD-A is like higher resolution CD, up to 24-bit at 192KHz instead of 16-bit at 44.1KHz. Theoretically, you could treat this like a much larger WAV or AIFF (or maybe even Apple Lossless) file, a format that iPod supports. Then the issue is whether the various different models can play such a file, with issues such as increased data transfer rate, effect on battery life, and whether the DACs can handle it. It's certainly possible that the firmware will outright reject playing a file that is outside known specs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
For my DVD-Audio discs, I used Audacity to record the output from my sound card as I played the disc on my PC. I then used Nero Wave Editor to break the resulting WAV file into separate tracks for each song. This will not give you sound quality equal to the original high resolution DVD-A track, but it's still decent quality -- especially if you are going to compress it to MP3 or AAC anyway.

I have not figured out any way to rip the audio tracks from my hig-res SACD's. If it's a hybrid SACD/CD disc, you can always grab the audio from the CD layer, of course. But for standard SACD's, I'm stumped.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
One of these days Imma gonna secretly replace Ron's ginormous collection of lossless files with folgers crystals, I bet he never even notices!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This is hilarious. Ron asking for advice, which, if provided, would be in violation of HTF rules, since both DVD-A and SACD would involve defeating copy protection.

As far as tracks, shift-click to select the contiguous tracks before they are imported, then choose "Join Tracks" from the "Advanced" menu in iTunes. A little graphic will appear showing the tracks are linked and when imported they will be turned into a single track.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
Itunes will read the redbook layer of hybrid sacds. Non-hybrid SACDs don't even show up on the desktop.

I suppose it would be possible to record from a dvd player's spdif, provided, of course, that the player is willing to disregard rules... The Oppos, for instance, do this. However, it would not be as fast as a "rip", and iTunes may discard the ultrasonic information anyway.

As for DVD-A's, the one I just put in is read as a DVD-Video.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
The joining of song tracks was invaluable advice. Never knew
this could be done and it was done flawlessly.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member

IIRC, the leadin is encrypted. I don't think that the drives in consumer SACD players are all that special. Sony chose not to supply a computer SACD player because they knew it would get cracked.

Best solution would be to record from the analogue outputs of an sacd player-- just as you do with records.

AFAIK, there's no portable SACD player either. A bit of a hole in my opinion.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

first part, nevermind my bad.

second part, very helpful instructions of which i wasn't aware.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Well, I hope Ron understood my comment better. It wasn't criticism so much as an amused observation. I hope that if he took it badly I would have heard from him. The fact is, SACD and DVD-A are copy protected, so...

Having said that, Ron, I hope you did take the comment in the manner it was intended.

Also glad to impart the info on joining tracks. Originally, iTunes didn't have that (talking about years ago) and at some point I just stumbled across it. I'd like to point out the I use LAME to encode mp3s, which does not observe these markings, but I found a nice workaround. You first import the CD into iTunes using a lossless or uncompressed format, during which the tracks will be joined, then use LAME to encode the already joined tracks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, to be honest, I wasn't particularly bowled over by the comment.

I would hope that it would have been obvious that I wasn't
seeking advice on how to do anything illegal. My fault was not
knowing about the copy protection. I was just looking for a means
of listening to my DVD-A music on my iPod.

Now that the conversation has continued on this issue, I understand
where you guys are coming from and I'm no longer bothered by the
tone of the original response.

Appreciate the advice as always, guys.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Sorry about the misunderstanding Ron.

Not the first time I've inserted my foot. Won't be the last.

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
iTunes does support 24/96 wav files. iPod won't play them, but iTunes does support them.

The new John Mellencamp release "Life, Death, Love, and Freedom" comes packaged with a redbook CD and a DVD containing the album in 24/96, and pre-ripped MP3 and AAC tracks.

But the real beauty is that the disc is designed to allow you to import those tracks, including the 24/96 straight to your Mac or PC. No ripping, extracting, or any of the above required. Just click on the "download" button on the DVD menu. And then they can be imported to your iTunes library.

IIRC, iTunes can in fact output 24/96 digitally, so in theory you could actually assemble a hi-rez music server based on iTunes, and use it to drive the DAC of your choice.

Brian

Real Name
Gilpinrysry
I Love Apple ipods, because they are the best. I don' t know what I can do without ipod. It goes everywhere where I go. Rencently I found 10 cool iPod video tools, I want to share them with you now.

Top. 1 | Cucusoft iPod Video Converter + DVD to iPod Suite
I think this all-in-one iPod video Conversion solution is best, because I can convert both DVD media and video file media to iPod video/iP and it' s speed is far faster than others.
Top 10 Most Popular iPod Video Tools | Posted 10/8/2008
UI skin: 8 | Speed: 8. 5 | Easy to Use: 8. 5
User Rating: 8 | Popularity: 8 | Feature: 8. 5
Download Now

Top. 2 | Avex DVD to iPod Video Suite
This One-click, All-in-One solution is my favourite, because this software features superb video/audio quality, the fastest conversion speed (Up to 3x faster). And it' s easy to use! A great software for iPod users.
UI skin: 7. 5 | Speed: 8 | Easy to Use: 8
User Rating: 7. 5 | Popularity: 7. 5 | Feature: 8
Download Now

Top. 3 | Aimersoft iPod Converter Suite
I love this all-in-one easy-to-use iPod MP4 video conversion tool, because it can help me rip DVD and also perfectly convert almost all popular video and audio formats such as AVI, Divx, FLV, DAT, XviD, WMV, MPEG, MPG, RM, RMVB, MOV, ASF, FLV, etc. to iPod MP4 (MPEG-4) H.264.
UI skin: 7 | Speed: 7. 5 | Easy to Use: 7. 5
User Rating: 7 | Popularity: 7 | Feature: 7. 5
Download Now

Top. 4 | Cucusoft iPhone / iTouch / iPod to Computer Transfer
I am fond of this application because it is an easy to use iPod / iPhone utility designed to help me backup all my files from my iPod / iPhone / iTouch.
UI skin: 6. 5 | Speed: 7 | Easy to Use: 7
User Rating: 6. 5 | Popularity: 6. 5 | Feature: 7
Download Now

Top. 5 | Wondershare iPod Video Suite
I am keen on this useful and powerful all-in-one iPod video conversion solution, because I can convert both DVD media and video file media to iPod video/iPod movie.
UI skin: 6 | Speed: 6. 5 | Easy to Use: 6. 5
User Rating: 6 | Popularity: 6 | Feature: 6. 5
Download Now

Top. 6 | dvdXsoft DVD to iPod Converter
I fancy for this software because it features the highest DVD converting speed, the best output video quality, and fully tested on hundreds of different DVD-ROMs and DVD Movie discs that makes it qualified for strict compatibility standards. It enables me to different video options including MP4 video codec Xvid and H264, a rich list of different resolutions, video bitrates, video frame rates, audio bitrates, audio frequency, etc.Top 10 Most Popular iPod Video Tools | Posted 10/8/2008
UI skin: 6 | Speed: 6 | Easy to Use: 6
User Rating: 6 | Popularity: 6. | Feature: 6
Download Now

Top. 7 | Tansee iPod Transfer
I care for this ultimate application because I can transfer song from iPod to computer easily.
UI skin: 5. 5 | Speed: 6 | Easy to Use: 6
User Rating: 5. 5 | Popularity: 6 | Feature: 6
Download Now

Top. 8 | PQ DVD to iPod Video Suite
I like this One-Click, All-In-One solution because it' s super fast (up to 400% faster than other solutions) DVD conversion speed.
User Rating: 5. 5 | Popularity: 5. 5 | Feature: 6
Download Now

Top. 9 | Movkit iPod Video Converter
I prefer this helpful converter because it supports almost all video formats, including AVI,MPEG,ASF/WMV,RMVB,RM and DivX. With it,you can easily convert AVI to MP4 / M4V / MOV, ASF / WMV to MP4 / M4V / MOV, AVI / MPEG / ASF / WMV / VOB / MOV / DIVX / XVID / RMVB / RM to MP4.
UI skin: 5. 5 | Speed: 5. 5 | Easy to Use: 6
Download Now

Top. 10 | Aniosoft iPod to Computer
I go for this software because I can easily backup my songs, videos from my iPod back to my PC. It is so easy to use. It offers very fast searching and a browse mode which makes finding songs/videos on the iPod.
UI skin: 5 | Speed: 5. 5 | Easy to Use: 5. 5
User Rating: 5 | Popularity: 5 | Feature: 5. 5
Download Now

source: Top 10 Most Popular iPod Video Tools

Real Name
Gilpinrysry
I Love Apple ipods, because they are the best. I don' t know what I can do without ipod. It goes everywhere where I go. Rencently I found 10 cool iPod video tools, I want to share them with you now.

Top. 1 | Cucusoft iPod Video Converter + DVD to iPod Suite
I think this all-in-one iPod video Conversion solution is best, because I can convert both DVD media and video file media to iPod video/iP and it' s speed is far faster than others.
UI skin: 8 | Speed: 8. 5 | Easy to Use: 8. 5
User Rating: 8 | Popularity: 8 | Feature: 8. 5
Download Now

Top. 2 | Avex DVD to iPod Video Suite
This One-click, All-in-One solution is my favourite, because this software features superb video/audio quality, the fastest conversion speed (Up to 3x faster). And it' s easy to use! A great software for iPod users.
UI skin: 7. 5 | Speed: 8 | Easy to Use: 8
User Rating: 7. 5 | Popularity: 7. 5 | Feature: 8
Download Now

Top. 3 | Aimersoft iPod Converter Suite
I love this all-in-one easy-to-use iPod MP4 video conversion tool, because it can help me rip DVD and also perfectly convert almost all popular video and audio formats such as AVI, Divx, FLV, DAT, XviD, WMV, MPEG, MPG, RM, RMVB, MOV, ASF, FLV, etc. to iPod MP4 (MPEG-4) H.264.
UI skin: 7 | Speed: 7. 5 | Easy to Use: 7. 5
User Rating: 7 | Popularity: 7 | Feature: 7. 5
Download Now

Top. 4 | Cucusoft iPhone / iTouch / iPod to Computer Transfer
I am fond of this application because it is an easy to use iPod / iPhone utility designed to help me backup all my files from my iPod / iPhone / iTouch.
UI skin: 6. 5 | Speed: 7 | Easy to Use: 7
User Rating: 6. 5 | Popularity: 6. 5 | Feature: 7
Download Now

Top. 5 | Wondershare iPod Video Suite
I am keen on this useful and powerful all-in-one iPod video conversion solution, because I can convert both DVD media and video file media to iPod video/iPod movie.
UI skin: 6 | Speed: 6. 5 | Easy to Use: 6. 5
User Rating: 6 | Popularity: 6 | Feature: 6. 5
Download Now

Top. 6 | dvdXsoft DVD to iPod Converter
I fancy for this software because it features the highest DVD converting speed, the best output video quality, and fully tested on hundreds of different DVD-ROMs and DVD Movie discs that makes it qualified for strict compatibility standards. It enables me to different video options including MP4 video codec Xvid and H264, a rich list of different resolutions, video bitrates, video frame rates, audio bitrates, audio frequency, etc.Top 10 Most Popular iPod Video Tools | Posted 10/8/2008
UI skin: 6 | Speed: 6 | Easy to Use: 6
User Rating: 6 | Popularity: 6. | Feature: 6
Download Now

Top. 7 | Tansee iPod Transfer
I care for this ultimate application because I can transfer song from iPod to computer easily.
User Rating: 5. 5 | Popularity: 6 | Feature: 6
Download Now

Top. 8 | PQ DVD to iPod Video Suite
I like this One-Click, All-In-One solution because it' s super fast (up to 400% faster than other solutions) DVD conversion speed.
Download Now

Top. 9 | Movkit iPod Video Converter
I prefer this helpful converter because it supports almost all video formats, including AVI,MPEG,ASF/WMV,RMVB,RM and DivX. With it,you can easily convert AVI to MP4 / M4V / MOV, ASF / WMV to MP4 / M4V / MOV, AVI / MPEG / ASF / WMV / VOB / MOV / DIVX / XVID / RMVB / RM to MP4.
UI skin: 5. 5 | Speed: 5. 5 | Easy to Use: 6
Download Now

Top. 10 | Aniosoft iPod to Computer
I go for this software because I can easily backup my songs, videos from my iPod back to my PC. It is so easy to use. It offers very fast searching and a browse mode which makes finding songs/videos on the iPod.
UI skin: 5 | Speed: 5. 5 | Easy to Use: 5. 5
User Rating: 5 | Popularity: 5 | Feature: 5. 5
Download Now

source: Top 10 Most Popular iPod Video Tools

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks