What's new

Questions About Setting up the SVS 20-39PC+ (1 Viewer)

RickCathey

Auditioning
Newbie here guys so excuse the questions that I am sure are old hat to you more experienced...

My 20-39 will arrive today so I have been reading all the posts regarding the setup/adjustment of my new addition and have a few things that I haven't understood quite yet.

I read where some mention about listening at "reference" level. What exactly is "reference" level?

Also regarding volume on my Onkyo receiver: it starts at 0 and goes up to 75. Do these numbers mean anything regarding correct setup or is this just a reference number regarding overall volume? All of my individual channel adjustments do have a +/- 12db range.

I do have a Radio Shack SPL meter and have my current system adjusted using the new DVE DVD disc.

One guy mentioned not being able to listen to anything higher than -25db under reference without his wife complaining. How do you measure this number exactly? the SPL meter?

Thanks for all the help here guys..It is very much appreciated!

Looking forward to joining the SVS club.
Rick

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
Reference level depends on the reference (if that made any sense). In your case, the DVE reference level is 75dB as measured at your listening position with your SPL meter.

The numbers on your receiver are relative to your receiver only. My receiver goes from -70 to 0, for example.

When you get the sub, you'll have to calibrate your system again with DVE. However, many have found that the pink noise sound level for the Sub/LFE channel is too low in DVE and you'll have to bump it up a little. You could read many posts here about this problem, but it might do nothing more than confuse you further. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to set it with DVE, add a few dB to the sub channel, and then adjust to your taste.

Good luck, and excellent choice in sub...

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Rick,

Phillip already gave good advice, but if you are at work and have a few moments before you return to find your SVS at home, look this page over:

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter

Really that's all you need to know. With your receiver you will simply raise the disply level until you get 75dB on your left front channel (when its respective level is set to 0dB). Once there, just note whatever number that is, and leave the display/master level at that number for the rest of your channel level setting.

If the reports are correct, then DVE will have you setting your LFE/Sub far too low. Like Phil said, you can just bump it up some, or you can try Avia, or even the receiver test tones and run with that.

Ron

Philip>L

Stunt Coordinator
I also forgot to mention that reference level is generally just used for calibrating your equipment. As far as I know, few people actually listen to music or movies at reference level. Most find it to be far too loud.

RickCathey

Auditioning
Thanks for all the info and links..

My sub is on the big brown truck in route to the house..

I am like a kid at Christmas today. I have heard so much about these subs that it's just hard to believe that anything can sound THAT good and add that much to a HT setup. I am sure so many good reports of praise about the SVS products can't be all wrong..

Thanks again guys..
Rick

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
The overall soundtrack quality is excellent too, with clear/distinct/natural vocals and excellent surround work. It is very immersive without being overwhelming.

The movie itself is just silly popcorn fun, but it ranks way up there as a new LFE demo disc, that's for sure.

Ed

RickCathey

Auditioning
The Rundown has a brutally aggressive LFE mix. Highly recommended for bass junkies. The character/definition of the bass is exceptional, and the methane explosion in the cave was just staggering in power and depth. The overall soundtrack quality is excellent too, with clear/distinct/natural vocals and excellent surround work. It is very immersive without being overwhelming.
Ed,

I saw The Rundown last week but I will now have to watch it again. I also have the Eagles: Hell Freezes Over concert which they say sounds great with the SVS. Everyone says it's a good reference disc to use to show off for music..

Rick

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Ed,
I saw The Rundown last week but I will now have to watch it again. I also have the Eagles: Hell Freezes Over concert which they say sounds great with the SVS. Everyone says it's a good reference disc to use to show off for music..
__________________________________________________ ________

I agree. RUNDOWN was more than I was expecting. The mix was done very well imo and story content could have been much worse.

Eagles HFO is a very nice listen and you also have the DTS option. It's very well done imo and could be considered a good reference disk.

The link Ron gave you (

http://www.svsubwoofers.com/faq.htm#meter) should serve you very well. Easy to understand and follow as well.

Congratulations on your new sub. Life will change as you know it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Joe Szott

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe S.

It's better than Xmas Rick, this time you won't shoot your eye out...

Let us have your impressions when it arrives, you are in for a treat. I bought the same sub this January and it is far and away the best entertainment purchase I ever made. Wife even likes it, though reluctant to admit it :emoji_thumbsup:

terence

Supporting Actor
Subsonic Alert

I was playing around with Pearl Harbor the DTS version disc one and if you guys go to chapter 31, 2:08:34 look for the sence (while the president is given his speach) some guys are puting out a fire. OMG! The bass was so loooooow and loud you can't really hear it you can only feel it! It's got to be 20-17Hz, i was 1db below reference and did not realize it until it was over. All i have to say is WOW
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
talk about some couch shaking, pants flapping bass. i totally forgot about that part of the movie, check it guys.

terence

Supporting Actor
I'm on vacation this week so i'm revisiting some of my old dvd's. So far these are my top 5 are.....

1. We Were soldiers (25Hz below Assault!)
2. U571 / DTS
3. Pearl Harbor / DTS
4. LOTR-FOTR
5. Blade II / DTS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks