What's new

Question: Sony DVPNS700P (1 Viewer)

Mijang

Agent
I am looking to upgrade my current Sony DVD player (Sony DVP-S300) and I am willing to spend between $250 and $400. I am only looking at Sony models, and from what I have seen only the DVPNS700P fits my price range and supports progressive scan. The only problem is that this player does not support DVD-Audio. Basically, is there any Sony player on the market that meets my criteria, and if not, when do the new models become available?

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
well i dont think any Sony models have progressive scan output and support DVD-Audio (in this price range). there are only three i can think of in this price range:
Panasonic RP-91
Toshiba SD4700
Toshiba SD5700
neither of the Toshibas are on the market yet, but they should be in the next few weeks. i know you said you only wanted Sony, but they dont offer the specs you want. i'd recommend the Panasonic here, as most people in this forum would.
------------------
-Thomas
My HT

Mijang

Agent
What about a Sony unit with progressive scan that supports SACD? Please let me know. Thanks again!

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmm, actually Sony's very first progressive DVD player, the '9000ES has SACD playback (but it doesn't support multichannel SACD though). Being Sony's flagship DVD player, expect to spend >$1000 though.

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
If you don't have to have progressive scan, then Sony has a new model DVP-NS500V that does multi channel SACD for $299 in the new Crutchfield catalog.
------------------
What are we going to do tomorrow night Brain?
The same thing we do every night Pinky, try to take over the world!
Pinky and the Brain

Mijang

Agent
Thanks to all for the replies! I think I will most likely wait awhile longer (a year or so) and see what happens. I want the SACD and/or DVD-audio support on the DVD player as well as the progressive, but I am not willing to spend the money on the ES model. If I had to make the purchase today I think I would have to bypass the SACD option and just get the progressive player. Thanks again!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Mijang, Sony is not supporting DVD-Audio, as they have developed, in conjunction with Philips, SACD as a competing high-resolution format. Aside from the aforementioned 'S9000ES (which only plays stereo SACDs, by the way), the only other progressive-scan DVD/SACD player Sony is offering is the DVP-NS900V. It should be out soon, but will sell for around $1000. Unlike the 'S9000ES, the 'NS900V will play multi-channel SACDs. I realize the 'NS900V is out of your price range, but Crutchfield has more information on its web site, if you are interested.
------------------
My:
HT Pics ; Equipment List ; DVD Collection ; LD Collection
KeithH: Saving the Home Theater World Before Bedtime

Shawn C

Screenwriter
I have that player. I just purchased it. It's a GREAT player im my opinon. The picture quality is MUCH better than on my old Sony player (360?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks