Sony WEGA 36XBR450 anamorphic squeeze question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve Owen, Dec 24, 2001.

1. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

My folks just got a Sony WEGA 36XBR450 television along with a Sony DVPNS700P Progressive Scan DVD player. I'm trying to get the auto-squeeze to work correctly. It's not clear from the documentation, but from what I've read the auto-squeeze ONLY works on the S-Video input and NOT on the component. Is that correct?

If that's the case, then they either have to switch manually (if they want to take advantage of anamorphic) or use the S-Video, in which case they won't be taking advantage of the progressive scan output of the DVD player?

Am I on the right track? I need to make this as easy as possible for them... set it once and forget it.

BTW, I'm REALLY impressed with the picture on this set, even on cable and DSS sources. Far better than I expected.

Thanks,

Steve

2. Oren

Oren Stunt Coordinator

My understanding is that the squeeze works on all the inputs (but not RF/cable) and a progressive signal only works on the component inputs.

So, you should

- set the dvd player to output 16:9

- set the dvd player for progressive output

- connect the dvd player using the component inputs

That should automatically get you a smooth, progressive, widescreen image. Sweet!

3. hanzelin

hanzelin Auditioning

Steve,

I have the same setup that you described.

KV-36XBR450

DVP-NS700P

THe DVD player is connected to Video 5 through the component inputs.

The problem is that the 36XBR450 will not auto-squeeze a progrssive signal. I think this has something to so with the fact that 480p is an exceptable standard or something like that...

Anyway, if you use the Interlaced outputs on the DVD player, the TV WILL automatically do the squeeze (if you have the DVD set at 16:9).

At first I was disturbed by the fact that I wasn't using the progressive part of the player, but the line-doubler (DRC) in the XBR is SO good, that it is really hard to tell the difference.

Hope this helps.

peace,

rickster

4. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Set the Sony 700 to output at 16:9, and then select 16:9 from the XBR's menu manually.

On my FV-series WEGA, the 16:9 feature is automatic with an interlaced player.

Forget about wasting that resolution via S-Video.

5. Steve Owen

Steve Owen Second Unit

hanzelin, I think that's exactly my problem. I have the DVD player set to 16x9 AND progressive. I'll switch that next time I'm over a their house. Too bad the progressive output is wasted, though it seems to be a real nice DVD player regardless.

-Steve

6. Dmitry

Dmitry Supporting Actor

If you have a macro-capable remote control (I have a Pronto) then you can program one button to squeeze/unsqueeze. I have an almost exactly the same setup (32XBR400 & DVPNS700) and it works flawlessly. That way you wouldn't feel that your progressive scan output is "wasted".

--Dmitry