What's new

Question: How to wire speakers from the receiver to speakers? (1 Viewer)

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All:
I am a virgin in terms of home entertainment and I am looking for some advice/information. I am going to be moving out of my apartment soon and into a house and I was wondering how to wire my speakers. My question is: how do i hide wires going from the reciever to the speakers? I would like to put some speakers behind the couch area, but I would hate to have wires showing.

Would the best thing be to run it under the carpet, and cut a hole? Its a brand new house, so I figured I should ask before I go doing 'damage'. Thanks!

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Don't know your room particulars so I'm just going to tell you what I do. I run the wires along the wall and tuck the wire under baseboard moulding. That's just for the surrounds. The mains are short runs, so I leave those loose. The TV and some fake plants obscure most of it.

I've known people to run it under the carpet, but whether this will work for you depends on your carpet material. If it's a flat Berber you'll probably see the impression of the wire.

Tim K

Second Unit
its pretty easy to pull up the baseboard molding. There is usually about 1/4" - 1/2" gap between the wall and floor that the molding hides. Tuck the wires underneath and tap the molding back into place.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a basement in your new house? If you really want to put some work into it. You can "fish" speaker wires behind the walls, and run them along the floor beams in the basement ceiling. For aesthetic purposes, you can have wall plates at your speaker and receiver locations. This takes a little patience and time, but you will be totally hiding the speaker wires.

Cheers..John

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
If it is a new house being built, the best thing to do is run the wire in the walls before the drywall goes up. At each end put an electrical box and then attach a faceplate with binding posts. *Note, make sure to get UL listed wire and follow all codes.

Chad Viro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys for all the advice (please keep it coming if you wish to add). Unfortunately, the basement is a finished basement (builders have told me to stay away!). Thanks for the crutchfield article as well, looks like a good read!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks