What's new

Question about the Natural Born Killers dvds! (1 Viewer)

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Director's Cut dvd released by Trimark-it's awsome & a much better version than the heavily edited R rated version which i've seen a few times when first released,but uncut is even better & more powerful/outragous.
I remember reading a thread about LD commentaries that aren't on dvd ect & someone mentioned that the uncut dvd of NBK is slightly different than the LD-other than the missing Nine Inch Nails video. Supposedly bits of commentary was missing from the deleted scenes segment & that the documentary was shorter. Is this true?
+ is Warner's R rated dvd the exact same,extrawise as the uncut version or does it have the missing bits(if true) not on Trimarks release & a new commentary?
btw- i like WB's box design better than Trimarks which is really cheesy,WB looks much cooler,yet the R rated version isn't worth seeing if you can get your hands on the uncut version.
[Edited last by Christina_DQ on September 01, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

Greg_Y

Screenwriter
other than the missing Nine Inch Nails video.
I can't answer your questions about the laserdisc stuff, but I do know that the Nine Inch Nails video was even on the VHS version of the Director's Cut. In fact, the DVD has basically the same stuff as the Director's Cut DVD. except no NIN video. Same documentary I believe; no commentary obviously.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The Trimark DVD is missing the following that were included with the LD box set: (i) the NIN video; (ii) the original theatrical trailer (the DVD has a DVD-specific trailer); and (iii) additional Stone commentary that ran on one of the LD's analog tracks during the deleted scenes and other supplements. I believe the documentary is unchanged, but I've never compared them.
I've never seen the Warner DVD.
M.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Just for info :
I understand the Director's Cut is not anamorphic in R1, but the standard cut is anamorphic.
they have just announced NBK on Region 2 (anamorphic), and as far as I can recall, it was passed uncut here (I understand OS had to make many minor cuts to the film before it would be passed in America)
Can anyone provide the running times for both version, so that I can try and work out whether the version we are getting is the Director's Cut ? I know that NTSC discs run slightly slower anyway, but I should be able to work it out.
Also, if someone could provide some examples of cuts that were made, I will be able to to tell when I buy it.
Thanks

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
The Warner DVD includes the theatrical trailer and excerpts from a Charlie Rose interview which, I believe, are not on Trimark's disc. It is not, however, the true theatrical cut, as NIN's Burn is missing from the pre-end-credits sequence and has been replaced with generic industrial crap. This is also the case with the director's cut, and is the one reason I haven't discarded my pan-and-scan VHS.
Mark

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
I never saw it in theaters,so i never knew about NIN's Broken playing over the pre-end credits sequence. Though i have see the DC video with it on & the song fit the movie well.
theatrical 118mn
director's cut 121mn
As for the differences,there are many(150!!)some brief seconds/frames,others extremely notciable so i won't be able to list them all but a few are(not in order).........
Lot's of blood flying ect as Mallory beats the crap out of that one guy in the dinner
Micky raping a hostage
Convicts waving Tommy Lee Jones severed head,arms ect
Micky getting beat up(Rodney King style) durring the Drug Zone scene
Convicts slitting each others throats in the barber shop + frying guards & others in ovens
Lots of people getting hit as Micky shoots his way out of the "interview" room- + breaking a guards fingers as he makes his escape with whoevers left alive.
The camera crew getting hit & killed by the riot police
Warden Jones men shooting down there own (dead?) guard in a standoff.
Also a shot of Robert Downey's hand after being shot-you can see Jones ect through it
Theres plenty more though & does make a huge difference.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
I think the biggest omission on the theatrical cut (the one that is available from the Stone box set and is anamorphic) is the alternate ending. That was such an intense and provoking scene that it was a shame not to have it left in the film. But, there were some cuts made that certainly did make sense. Such as the scenes after M&M were poisoned by the snakes and they go take in a movie at a drive-in, and the scene with Mickey being chased by the odd-horned sheep in the desert. While I like the theatrical cut because its sharper pace makes the film better, there certainly are scenes left out that would have made it alot more coherent-the shooting of Cavanaugh (the prison guard) and the alternate ending with Owen (who was really a guardian angel). But, since the Directors cut is not anamorphic, I'm sticking with the T.C.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Jussi Tarvainen

Second Unit
The uncut version has been available in Finland (R2) since January. It is indeed anamorphic.
------------------
French Knight: You don't frighten us, English pig dogs! Go and boil your bottoms, you sons of a silly person! I blow my nose at you, so-called "Arthur King," you and all your silly English K-nig-hts.
-Monty Python And The Holy Grail

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
But, there were some cuts made that certainly did make sense. Such as the scenes after M&M were poisoned by the snakes and they go take in a movie at a drive-in, and the scene with Mickey being chased by the odd-horned sheep in the desert.
These scenes are not part of the director's cut. They were eliminated before Stone's fight with the MPAA (although Stone does say in his introduction that he now wishes he'd left in the scene of Mickey being chased by the sheep). On the Trimark DVD, they're still presented as deleted scenes.
Nor is the alternate ending part of the DC. It's just that: an alternate ending, which Stone ultimately decided not to use.
The cuts to the theatrical version are all minute trims that tone down the violence and, in many instances, make the action of the scene less clear. Most of them don't last more than second or two, which makes them hard to present as "deleted scenes".
M.

Paul T

Auditioning
One thing i noticed on the Trimark dvd is when Mickey is shooting the guards and tv crew in the interview room the picture, for a frame, jumps to fullscreen instead of non-anamorphic widescreen. Strange!

Christina_DQ

Stunt Coordinator
As for the one deleted scene that should've beem in the film i think was......
The court room scene!
It was intense,funny,shocking & just so well shot & edited that it's a shame it was cut. Stone said the main reason it was cut other than pacing was that it went against the evolution of M&M. Still it would be great to have the option to watch the movie with the scene included to see how it plays out.

Tim Raffey

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know. I think if a scene goes against the evolution of the characters (thus changing the entire theme of the film) that's a pretty damn good reason to cut it out. I agree that the scene does stand quite well on its own, though, so it's nice to have.
[Edited last by Tim Raffey on September 02, 2001 at 12:51 PM]

Don Myles

Stunt Coordinator
I have both the Trimark and Warner versions of this DVD - one of my favourite movies. I doubt very much if the UK Region 2 of this title will be uncut. I guess you may never know though - quite often movies are left alone by the BBFC but you find that the studios have already cut them to ensure that they get a certificate. That way the studios get to make their own cuts rather than the BBFC butchers.
Only time will tell I guess. I believe that the Australian (R4) Director's Cut is uncut and anamorphic.
Don
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks