What's new

question about speakers (1 Viewer)

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
It would be "different", but not necessarily better. It all depends on what it is, how well it was engineered, etc. Can you be specific? What particular speakers are you thinking about?

A dual 5.25 from a HTIB would stink next to a single high quality 5.25...

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
i think u read my mind cause i have the onkyo HT-s650's and they have dual 5 1/4 woofers. I really want to upgrade my mains. Im leaning towards the Klipsch SB2 bookshelf speakers. Can you recommend me any good ones?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
The klipsch look ok, but I personally don't like Klipsch. Some nicer less "loud" oriented speakers would walk all over them in terms of sound quality. Those i think are about 350 retail, and something like Paradigm mini-monitors would totally outperform them. JM Labs at that price would also beat them, but without the bass impact as the paradigms, but more detail. Again, the # of woofers really doesn't mean squat. I'd take one 5 inch woofer from paradigm, jm labs, B&W any day over a dozen from say, onkyo, or even klipsch. There are some other good brands out there too, other than those I mentioned. Still, Klipsches would be best if you have a less-than adequate amp, as they are efficient, and they would go VERY loud. This is not my thing, I much prefer more pleasant listening levels, and more quality. Listen critically always, and decide for yourself. And take a listen to the paradigms if you can, they should be relatively easy to find, the JM labs, perhaps a tad bit more difficult. You'll be impressed with the mini-monitors.

Jeff_Garcia

Agent
thanks for your advice. i will look into the paradigms and will audition them. do you think that timbre matching will be an issue since i will be upgrading my mains?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
Timbre matching is important, I wouldn't worry too much about it front-to-back. Getting better front speakers is paramount. I am assuming by mains you mean all threee in the front? If music is big for you, definitely upgrade L and R, but if movies are important too, a good center is quite important. You'll have to decide whether 2-channel is worth foregoing a good center or whether sacrificing music listening for HT is best. Sit in the sweet spot, close your eyes, and listen.

Steve Adams

Second Unit
I have the psb alpha family for my speakers now, i will have to upgrade for my new home theater, which is going to be 22x26 but for anything smaller, they rock, I actually shake the house with them and with no sub! very impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks