Question about Sony STR-DE685

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Michael Sherman, Dec 13, 2002.

1. Michael Sherman

Michael Sherman Auditioning

Hi everyone; new here. Just bought a Sony STR-DE685, but it hasn't arrived yet. I really like the fact that I can have multiple S-Video and Composite video inputs to go along with the audio input channels, but I have a question.

Let us say I have a VCR that has RCA out, and a satellite system that has S-Video out. Both would go into separate input channels on the receiver. Then I use a S-Video to go from my receiver to the TV. When I select the VCR input, even though the video is coming through RCA, does the output also go over to the S-video? Basically I'm wondering if I still have to have *both* RCA and S-video outs going to my TV then have to swtich my TV input mode to select between the two.

Thanks in advance,
    Michael Sherman

2. terence

terence Supporting Actor

3. Michael Sherman

Michael Sherman Auditioning

Thanks for the reply; at least now I know. Unfortunately, it's not just the VCR that has RCA-only ouput. I have quite a few video game systems that are RCA, so it's a pretty even mix of S-Video and RCA.
    I just need a new TV that makes it easier to switch between input modes. I'm sure my wife will love to hear that [​IMG].

4. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

You could always get sVideo->composite converters for the VCR connections. I did this to simplify my setup. You might get a bit of signal degradation but hey, it's VHS.

They cost us about A$8 over here so I couldn't imagine them costing over US$5 over where you are.