What's new

new receiver opinions (1 Viewer)

I have just purchased some new to me speakers and now am wanting to upgrade my receiver as well. I have researched mostly by specs so far and narrowed it down to three receivers.
Speakers: Paradigm Monitor 5, CC350, ADP100 and a JBL PB10
Devices:
Xbox component video, optical audio
DVD Player component video, coax audio
Cable Box DVI video(tv), optical audio
Game Cube composite vid/audio currently

Receiver Requirements:
On Screen Display
Subwoofer Crossover Control

Receivers
Denon AVR-1905
Pros:
- 3 component video inputs
- Price seems a little cheaper
Cons:
- 80W

Pioneer VSX-1014
Pros:
- 110W
- THX Select, THX Surround EX
- 2 coax connections
- Auto setup with microphone
- Available from best buy for a little more but with financing
- Medium Price of the three
Cons:
- No zone 2 right?
- 2 component video inputs

Onkyo TX-SR602
Pros:
- 4 Optical inputs
- 2 Coax inputs
- Auto Setup

Cons:
-Highest price of the three
-85W

Questions:
1. My current receiver is a Sony STR-DE685 100x5, Sonys wattage ratings are usually over estimated right? Which means I shouldnt really worry about the power ratings compaired to my current unit?

2. Should I consider the fact that the Denon and the Pioneer both do video conversion to component video while the Onkyo only does to S-Video since I really have any devices that could take advantage of this, other than less wires to the TV? Also when it says it supports video conversion does it just reroute the signal or does it actually upgrade signal quality?

3. Should the fact that the Pioneer has THX give it a little better score when compairing these units.

Thanks for opinions and comments I am anxious to hear back I have heard a lot of good things about the Pioneer 1014 and the Onkyo 602, but not much about the Denon.

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Consider an HK 630 or 635? 430 or 435?

The 430 and 630 are now "last year's models" so authorized dealers like Vanns.com and OneCall are going to be dumping them off for killer prices. Might want to consider those in your search here. ;)

EricRWem

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adrik
Check J&R, vanns.com and Onecall.com. All legit, authorized dealers. Good sales going right now! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks