Looking for a receiver under $500

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Guy Martin, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Pretty straightforward question. I'm moving up to DTS at long last. I've got a pretty limited budget for the purchase. For the record it will be powering an Energy Take 5 speaker system which takes up to 100w at 8 ohms. Video switching isn't much of an issue. As a minor functionary of Sony Pictures I get a pretty good employee discount on Sony products, particularly the STR-DE685 which is $300 at Best Buy, but I can get it for $205 and the STR-DE885 which is $350 at BB and $234.65 for me. I lean towards the latter since it seems to have better LFE control, essential with small speakers like mine. Also it comes in silver, which I like [​IMG] Also I checked out an very nice Onkyo at a local retail which was about $530, about the upper limit of what I can spend. Any thoughts?
    - Guy
    EDIT: looking at Bob McElfresh's chart it would seem that the Onkyo model in question was the TX-SR600.

2. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

Truthfully the sounds on the sonys to me are somewhat muddy.
    I listened to the sony and then the Onkyo txsr600 @ circuit city on the same set of speakers and the Onkyo was much cleaner.
    I got that for $399 at Circuit City ....I still have the receipt they should be able to price match it for you.
    Or go with the Pioneer VSX811 which I now own due to small issues with the Onkyo that I seemed to be the only one encountering.
    Current System:

RECEIVER PIONEER VSX-D811S
    EQUALIZER KENWOOD 1070EK
    DVD PLAYER PIONEER DV-333
    TV TOSHIBA 36A40
    VCR SONY SLV695HV
    CENTER CHANNEL ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-4C
    BOOKSHELF ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-17
    MAIN SPEAKER ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-11
    SUBWOOFER ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-S112PS

POWER SURGE ACOUSTIC RESEARCH AR-10V
    SUBWOOFER CABLE MIT RG-59
    BI WIRE CABLE MIT - BI WIRE TERMINATOR
    COMPONENT VIDEO CABLE IXOS 1713-200
    COAXIAL CABLE IXOS 1061-100
    CENTER CHANNEL WIRE IXOS 6007
    SUBWOOFER CABLE IXOS 1182
    VHS CABLES ESOTERIC AUDIO USA AVK2

3. NickFoley

NickFoley Stunt Coordinator

If you want a good sony that it available for under $500 on the net, I suggest the Sony DA2ES. The DA4ES is a step up and has 7.1 inputs/outputs.

4. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

i'd go with a pioneer doesnt mater wich model they are all better then any sony under $1k IMO.

5. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Chad-
    Thanks for the info. My retailer does indeed do price matching so I will keep that in mind.

Nick-
    Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately there's no employee discount on ES equipment. I'd prefer to buy retail than on the net for something like this. 7.1 is not a concern for me at the moment.

- Guy

6. Pablo Abularach

Pablo Abularach Supporting Actor

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

If I were you I would go listen to the Pioneer 811, Onkyo 600, HK525 and maybe the Denon 1803 and see what you like
    the best.
    I would shove the sony aside if I were you....but that is my
    opinion.
    I will admit The Onkyo is probably a little cleaner than the Pioneer soundwise but like I said I had some small issues with mine that I returned it and didn't want to bother with another one.

8. zane

zane Stunt Coordinator

I found the sony da1es on the net for $450 shipped and I love its sound but i can't comment on the lfe channel since I have yet to get a sub but soon i'll have one, it only has 5.1 capabilities but its all i really needed and i was attracted to the higher build quaility over the de series and the extended warranty

9. Mark.Louis

Mark.Louis Stunt Coordinator

Hey ChadLB: Are you able to hook up your equalizer to the Pioneer 811S? How? does it have a tape loop?

the reason I ask is that I am considering purchasing this or the Kenwood VR-6070, but I know the Kenwood doesn't have the tape loop necessary to hook up an external equalizer.

Mark

10. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John

11. ChadLB

ChadLB Screenwriter

On the 811 it has some pre outs for what they call monitor.
    I hooked my eq up into that...
    The only thing I don't like is that every time I use my dvd player I have to turn it off on the reciever...there is no button on the remote.

12. Guy Martin

Guy Martin Second Unit

Great suggestions everyone! I'm leaning towards paying the extra cash for the Onkyo. I did notice on the Onkyo website that the TX-SR500 has an SRP of only $320 and otherwise seems to have the same features as the TX-SR600, except for Dolby EX and DTS ES, neither of which is a concern for me (no place for a sixth speaker in my small apartment). Anyone have any thoughts on the TX-SR500? It's obviously much easier on the wallet, which is a big concern.
    - Guy

13. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

14. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

15. ThomasL

ThomasL Supporting Actor

Guy, do a search in the forum for "budget receiver" and you'll get a LOT of hits regarding the < $500 range.

I have the Pioneer 811S and am happy with it. I also looked at the Onkyo SR600 as well as other models at the time I was looking. The Onkyo and Pioneer were pretty much equal for me in terms of features and sound. I suspect you'd probably be happy with either. There are also Yamahas (HTR-5560), Marantzs (SR4300/SR5300)and Denons (1803) in this price range. Make sure to read the manuals (available on-line) before purchase and make sure the receivers you're interested in have all the features you need.

good luck,

--tom

16. Lyden

Lyden Stunt Coordinator

hmm the onkyo is a good bet over sony and pioneer. with my speakers the pioneer wooped any sony they had at bestbuy and besides i got my 810s for $99 bucks you cant bet that price. but honestly i loved how HK's sound just wonderful but really we all hear things differantly.