What's new

Question about RPTV screen (warping?)... (1 Viewer)

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have another (possibly dumb) question as a new RPTV owner.

I noticed that there appears to be some ever so slight warping in the screen. I noticed this looking at the reflection of something in the TV, while it was turned off.

On the right side of the screen, the reflection appears distorted (stretched upwards).

If I look at the screen in that spot from the side, it does appear to be ever so slightly warped.

However it does not appear to effect viewing whatsoever and is completely unnoticed during DVD playback.

Is this seemingly slight imperfection cause for concern or is it just something that happens sometimes? What should I do?

Thanks in advance!

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It may be warped. Go back to the dealer and look closely at a floor model of your Sony. See if you can detect such a flaw in that unit. RPTV screens are not like solid-glass direct-view screens. You might also want to call Sony's service number and describe what you're seeing.

You say the perceived warp doesn't affect DVD playback. Are you sure? Spin a disc with which you're completely familiar and scrutinize the "problem area."

Since you just took delivery of the set, you can still exchange the thing. Given that you sunk $4,000 into the RPTV, it's completely understandable that you want it to be perfect. But manafacturing tolerances being what they are, you'll be lucky to find something that's completely perfect. Owners of direct-view WEGAs, for example, report the so-called "uneven brightness" issue. For many, it's a flaw that can be overlooked; for others, it's completely unacceptable.

Keep us posted.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
You say the perceived warp doesn't affect DVD playback. Are you sure?
Yes, I'm sure. However, I'm also sure that it annoys me. Therefore if it comes down to having to do it to get the outer screen replaced, I'll just tell them that I find it noticable during playback.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Good thinking.

Rain, it just occurred to me: Doesn't that Sony come with a removable protective screen? If so, that's what you're looking at, I'm pretty sure. It has nothing to do with the RPTV's fresnel screen. You could remove the protective screen and experience a superior picture. Question is, how curious have your cats been regarding the new purchase? If they're not interested in getting a close, paws-on introduction to Sony widescreen RPTVs, it would be preferable to remove the protective screen, thus improving upon the set's contrast ratio.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Question is, how curious have your cats been regarding the new purchase?
Not at all, actually.

And I thought it might have been a problem with just the outermost layer. I would have no clue as to how to go about removing it though.

I'll ask about that when I call on Monday.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
So I have a service call booked for Oct. 12.

However, I've noticed another problem.

In the middle of the screen there is a spec, which does not appear to be on the outer surface. Rather, it looks almost as if a couple of pixels just aren't working.

I noticed this a while ago, but mistook it for film damage. Now I notice it is rather obvious at a normal viewing distance whenever there are lighter colors on the screen.

And I have no idea whether this is something that can be fixed.

I'm thinking maybe I should just do an exchange at this point, since I've only had the TV for two weeks.

Any advice?

Vin

Supporting Actor
In the middle of the screen there is a spec, which does not appear to be on the outer surface. Rather, it looks almost as if a couple of pixels just aren't working.
Rain, I've experienced this on my RPTV. Once the protective screen was removed it became obvious that it was just a dead spider (no joke) which was easily removed!

Vin

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Go through with the service call and see what he or she says. I'm pretty certain it's the protective screen, which, if correct, will make the entire point moot. If not, exchange the unit for another one right away. (Remember, Rain, because you sunk a lot of money into this RPTV, you're going to be looking at every little thing.)

Also, Rain, have you done an initial VE or AVIA routine yet? More than anything, you need to rein in those picture controls. What are your present settings?

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I have callibrated with Video Essentials. It's as good as it's gonna get before I'm able to have someone come in to do a proper ISF calibration.
I called the retailer this morning to let them know about this latest discovery. He suggested I wait until the service call, but assured me that if it is not something that can be corrected, he would do a straight exchange.
Of course, I realize I'm being very picky. But considering the financial investment here, I think I'm entitled to be.
I've been through this schpiel before. I have never purchased a major item that didn't have to be exchanged at least once (two previous TVs, DVD player, mattress set, cordless phone, CD player...). I'm just not lucky that way. If there is one TV out there with a spec on it, it will always find its way to me. :laugh:
Anyhow, thanks for the feedback.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Just in case anyone is interested...

The technician came by yesterday.

He thought the warping was a flaw in the outermost layer of the screen, but that it would not effect actual viewing (he's right). Because of this he was not able to say whether Sony would authorize replacing it.

As for the "spec," he figured that was a flaw in another layer of the screen. He said this would definitely be fixed, but it would mean sending the TV to the shop for a week to 10 days.

I called the retailer and asked for a straight exchange. No problems at all and that's what we're going to do.

While the tech was there, we got to chatting about callibration. One great thing is that to have someone come in and do a proper convergence adjustment via the service menu (which apparantly takes about 90 minutes to do) is covered under the warranty. Cool.

We also talked about ISF Callibration. He said that all the feedback he has heard about this is that it is pretty much a waste of time and does not yield significantly advantageous results. I told him that was very contrary to the feedback I had heard.

He also had a significantly different opinion on the "Sharpness" setting of the TV that that which is usual. He thought it should be set much higher than it was on my set and felt that I was actually losing true picture detail by having it set so low.

I rechecked this with Video Essentials and noticed something odd. The test pattern for this adjustment appears more than once on the disc, but it is not consistent. I'm going to try to find another test pattern to adjust the sharpness and see what happens.

Anyhow, he seemed very interested in checking out HTF (he had heard of it), so I gave him the URL.

We just purchased a Toshiba 42H82 on 10-9, and this unit has a warped screen on the left side. If I look at reflections of my big head on the screen when the Tv is off, there is distortion out a few inches. It does not affect any picture at all, but I also found the Tv's gray plastic frame bulged out slightly where the wrinkle comes into play.

Of course, 2 sales people I talked to never heard of this problem before. Sounds to me like something under the frame is what warped the screen.
Best Buy is coming in this week to replace the unit.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The Sony does have a protective outer screen; the picture can be improved by removing it (greater contrast ratio). If you're not worried about Eddie and Velcro getting their paws on the actual fresnel/lenticular-screen assembly, then you're advised to remove the protective screen.

... said the man not in the ISF's employ. Nothing could be further from the truth. And his urging you to increase the so-called "Sharpness" control much higher belies his unenlightened approach. "Sharpness" controls have nothing to do with real sharpness; by reducing it almost if not completely, you will come to see the picture's true inner detail. (I trust you've also defeated the SVM.)

Get the set exchanged, and use it for a few hundred hours—and check and see if Gregg Loewen might be touring your area of the continent anytime soon. He or one of his ISF-certified colleagues will be able to coax every last measure of performance out of that RPTV.

Finally, start saving up for an HD receiver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks