What's new

Question about MCE - upgrading XP Home? (1 Viewer)

Hank_P

Second Unit
I know you can buy the MCE software now online (like Tigerdirect, Newegg, etc.), but can it install over XP Home edition? I'm using my pc now as a PVR, jukebox, etc., but no where does any information I find say whether it can be installed over an existing OS.

If so, is there anything odd/different in a bad way I would encounter?

Thanks

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
MCE is Windows XP Pro with the media center interface and a few other things so technically you'd just be upgrading. As long as your hardware passes it should upgrade just fine AFAIK but MCE can be finicky.

That being said, even though you can get your hands on the software, officially Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005-based PCs are available only from Microsoft PC Manufacturer partners You're probably going to have to rely on Google and message boards if you run into trouble. Msoft's knowledge base or (outrageous) tech support won't be any help.

And my usual finger wag...make sure you back up all your data before you do anything. :)

I just came across this article. Hope it helps.

Hank_P

Second Unit
Thanks, after reading that, I'm scared. My system is pretty solid, no issues, the TV tuner works perfect, the MP3's/Jukebox works flawlessly, I can rip and burn dvd's in no time and all integrated into my HT via optial output, and an ATI card that has never ever given me trouble while outputing to the TV.. ... if it's not broke, don't fix it.

I think I'll hold off a little longer. Maybe (laughing as I say that), Microsoft will come out with some type of MCE upgrade that will be supported.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks