What's new

question about games on my 40H80 (1 Viewer)

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I've got a 40H80 and play games on it. When ever I play a game that is 16x9 enhanced it doesn't seem to quite fill up the screen. There is always a little sliver on top (Perfect Dark on N64) or the side (Quake III on PS2) of the screen that is black at all times. What causes this? Should I be worried about it? Can it cause burn in because it's so dark?
jeremy

Corey Albers

Agent
i've noticed the exact same thing on my 40H80. it is usually a black line on the left side of the screen. i've also noticed that the degree of this off-centering changes when you use different inputs... haven't figured out how to fix this although with some games (like TimeSplitters), you can align the screen using their in-game utility.

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Why does it happen?
If the video source does not actually use all of the 480 scan lines reserved for picture information, and also the amount of overscan is extremely small, there can be blank space visible at the top or bottom. Regarding blank space at one side or the other, the first 83% of the total scan line (for NTSC and 480p) is reserved for picture information, the last 17% is to give time for the electron beam to get back to the left side and also hold synchronizing data. If the picture information does not occupy all of the first 83% and the overscan is extremely small, you may see black space at the sides.
Other video hints:http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
I wish more games had an in game screen moving utility but even with Quake III on PS2 it was one side or the other.
jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks