What's new

Question about burning blu-ray discs (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
So, I've had a blu-ray burner for a while now, and have successfully made a few discs but lately the software I use (Toast Titanium 16) hasn't been working and I've contacted them, only to find they no longer service this version. I'd have to buy a new version.

Anyway, as an experiment, I tried making a data blu-ray disc with the files I would normally put on a blu-ray. It worked great. The data disc holds more than if I created a disc with menus, and everything looks perfect on my TV in full HD. (I've played the data discs back through a UHD player and a PS3; no problems on either.)

So, my question is: What am I missing by not creating discs with full menus? Is there something lacking in the data disc format for playing the discs back (if there is, I can't see it)? I have been giving the files descriptive names so it's clear what they are, so they are easy to identify (such as "2019-06 June 8 Graduation," etc.). The files are MP4s.

I've had this nagging sense that I am doing something wrong but I don't know what it is.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Not really. It's just a matter of convenience. I use AnyDVD HD, which allows the option of creating on the fly menus that consume far less space.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
It's too bad that the studios killed off the stand alone dvd & Blu-ray recorders in the USA. JVC makes Blu-ray recorders but they cost over $2500.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
So, my question is: What am I missing by not creating discs with full menus?
If my experience with CD-RW’s is any indication, the issue would be the inability to play the disc on any player except the one you made the disc on . But since it looks like you’ve already been able to do that, I’m going with “you’re not missing anything.” :)

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Most modern disc players can play a variety of data file types regardless of whether they’re compliant with the official BD spec, so if what you’re doing is working for you, there’s nothing wrong with that. It just won’t have the near 100% compatibility of a disc that has been authored to conform to the spec.

cinemiracle

Screenwriter
Real Name
Peter
I never have any trouble when burning blurays. Works the same way as when I burn dvds. I just use double layer blurays during the burning process. What was on the original bluray or dvd always gets burnt onto the new disc. It can take a lot longer when burning double layer blurays however.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks